Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for the Celtic Tiger: ugliest property development in Meath?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 12:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Five or so years after they've been built and the undisputed winner of the ugliest building development in Meath, as far as everybody I know is concerned, is: Grange Hall, Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath.

The people in Meath County Council's planning department who granted permission for this development should be charged with something in a court of this state. There is complete unanimity and even the farmer who sold the land agreed but offered the excuse that Meath County Council insisted upon a certain density of housing as a reason why these houses were designed as they are today. It doesn't wash. It is utterly inexcusable, but we have to pay for this eyesore:

EPeO4BcmAWxfCeiz1HGHPXYq0_OPEbJ7mMqsr7RnTPxtPWRhZnQmZT00MDB4MzAw.jpg

WoAlbZ8ydIKNSUISCmZpMqNtm1rTzZrEG1A-s4xSn_BtPWRhZnQmaD00NTA=.jpg

The dark brick alone is so cheap and depressing:

15_1_t.jpg

Credit where credit is due to the architects who were, according to the following link, named Terry & O'Flanagan:

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2004/jul/25/home-on-the-grange/

I'd just love to find the names of the officials in Meath County Council's planning department who granted permission for this horrendously ugly development. Are they accountable to anybody? Is there anything we can do to remove such blots on the local landscape?

What, for you, is the most aesthetically objectionable development in Meath, the land where kings, poets and Na Fianna once triumphed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

they are pretty ugly
    but they were built as affordable housing ,dont no if ya checked recently but the prices of houses in dunshaughlin is pretty depressing

nearly as depressing as the sight of grange hall:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Archeron

I have to say Io think Knightsbrook hotel in Trim is hideous. Like a cross between a hotel and the Munsters house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

This could make for an interesting and amusing thread.

People should post pics of the ugliest developments or houses around Meath!

I have a few in mind, but need to get my camera to take some snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'd say this abomination out in ashbourne has to be the one of the ugliest things i've ever seen. These shots do no justice to how horrible it looks from street level. Next time I'm near I'll try to get a snap of them.

FxOENorR2r81zlq-6qbyZHEYOPROJ1XMymFAWtGkY9dtPWRhZnQmZT00MDB4MzAw.jpg

property_image_image_3287250_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Archeron wrote: »
    I have to say Io think Knightsbrook hotel in Trim is hideous. Like a cross between a hotel and the Munsters house.

at least it's out on it's own site. The castle hotel is a disgrace, built so high and close to the Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Good thread

nAAjfVFq1O4KrB8muTBZuUpygL_zv2YvJ29m8mO7LiZtPWRhZnQmZT00MDB4MzAw.jpg

Edit: Ashbourne too by the way

That is hideous!

No, this is not a leisure centre or school! It's a lovely bungalow in Bettystown.

101-FPHOTOSBrabazonGreen66BrabazonGreen_l.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

spadder wrote: »
    at least it's out on it's own site. The castle hotel is a disgrace, built so high and close to the Castle.

Must have been some very large brown envelopes to get that thing up.

I have to agree about Grange Hall too, an affront to the eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Archeron wrote: »

I dont agree - the drive through the estate is strange but the houses probably helped fund the hotel which is a fantastic addition to the town.

In my opinion by far the ugliest addition to Trim is the development across the road from the church/ old primary school with fading wood exterior. Also it has an old house stuck in the middle. How planning was ever given is a mystery. I heard it was some guy from Australia on a temp contract that made the decision. Hard to believe but understandable when you see it and its location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

see your estate in Dunshaughlin? I'll raise you the Marriot hotel in Ashbourne http://images.travelpod.com/users/justandlyndal/europe2007.1185019440.ashbourne-marriott.jpg

I always thought the Marriot/Ashbourne looks like something out of Thunderbirds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

chewed wrote: »
    I always thought the Marriot/Ashbourne looks like something out of Thunderbirds!

I think the Marriot is quiet a nice building. Its in an odd location, all on its own at the far end of the town. But as a building its quiet nice.

The planning in Meath is shocking! Ashbourne Town Centre consists of a few small shops, a giant multi storey car park and a mass of apartments of which the majority are empty. It will be a ghetto in a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

dixiefly wrote: »
    I dont agree - the drive through the estate is strange but the houses probably helped fund the hotel which is a fantastic addition to the town.

In my opinion by far the ugliest addition to Trim is the development across the road from the church/ old primary school with fading wood exterior. Also it has an old house stuck in the middle. How planning was ever given is a mystery. I heard it was some guy from Australia on a temp contract that made the decision. Hard to believe but understandable when you see it and its location.

i think any building with the cedar finishing ,and it hasnt been finished right ,makes the building look dull and drab

its a shame really as most of the time the buildings are decent

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

There's an apartment block at the junction of Johnstown and the Kentstown road that is woedious altogether. It's been unoccupied for the best part of 3 years, and looks more like the C Wing of a young offenders residential centre than a place for people to live. it's not weathering particularly well either. Can't think of the name of it, and no pics to show, unfortunately.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

There's an apartment block at the junction of Johnstown and the Kentstown road that is woedious altogether. It's been unoccupied for the best part of 3 years, and looks more like the C Wing of a young offenders residential centre than a place for people to live. it's not weathering particularly well either. Can't think of the name of it, and no pics to show, unfortunately.....

Supposed to be a problem with subsidence originally, how on earth they (MCC) let it go ahead in the first place is beyond belief. Heard lately the NE healthboard were moving people in. Saw lights and some activity on inside during the week so something is going on.

My vote though on the ugliest development has to be that Grange Hall in Dunshaughlin, it is hideous with such a false facade and a total waste of bricks and mortar. It looks like something high winds would love to get hold of. Given how the sardine cans roofs on apartments in Dublin fare with high winds , I wouldn't bet on it happening either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lynchysparks

let us not forget the black box droped from outer space on to the side of the roundabout in navan
    http://www.shopinnavan.ie/v1/page.asp?pg=196

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

let us not forget the black box droped from outer space on to the side of the roundabout in navan
    http://www.shopinnavan.ie/v1/page.asp?pg=196

Personally I think this building is quite attractive and a very good use of a tight space. The concrete bunker behind it is a crime against landscapes......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Fiskar wrote: »
    Supposed to be a problem with subsidence originally, how on earth they (MCC) let it go ahead in the first place is beyond belief. Heard lately the NE healthboard were moving people in. Saw lights and some activity on inside during the week so something is going on.

My vote though on the ugliest development has to be that Grange Hall in Dunshaughlin, it is hideous with such a false facade and a total waste of bricks and mortar. It looks like something high winds would love to get hold of. Given how the sardine cans roofs on apartments in Dublin fare with high winds , I wouldn't bet on it happening either.

I heard it was unoccupied because the bulider had no planning permission, blood ugly though, really grim looking.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I heard it was unoccupied because the bulider had no planning permission, blood ugly though, really grim looking.:mad:

Speaking of not having planning permission, does anybody know what happened that plumber, Michael Murray, who built a massive house in Bohermeen only to be instructed by An Bord Pleanála to demolish it in 2008?

The Bord Pleanála order made The Irish Times on 7 February 2008, with a photo of the huge house:

http://tinyurl.com/ya5exkf
    (if this doesn't work, google "Michael Murray", "Irish Times" and "Bohermeen".)

• Advertisement
Advertisement