Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well Done Dublin City Council for a Gritting Job par Excellence.

• 08-01-2010 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

I think it only fair in these troubled times to offer congratulations to Dublin City Council for a rather splendid Gritting Job in Drumcondra (Rather more specifically Tolka Bridge).

At approx 14.15 (Thursday) I was hugely impressed to see a 5 man City Council team complete with JCB and plentiful supplies of grit deployed to clear this strategic part of Dublins North City infrastructure.

I have no hesitation in offering my congratulations to the City Manager and the Local DCC Roads and Streets department for their herculean efforts (Or rather that of their Employees) to preserve life and limb in Drumcondra.

I feel confident that local residents and business people will join me in these good wishes,including I would expect,former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern,who may well have been able to witness the entire operation from his adjacent constituency office ....... :rolleyes:

With any luck this may be the beginning of a major anti-icing programme throughout the Capital over the coming days..... :p

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Thank god, they unclogged the main artery in Dublin.

Did the other 4 stand around while the old guy cleared the ice ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Don't be praising everyone just yet, supplies are predicted to run out today at some point, though I suppose that's managements fault.

In fairness DLRCoCo guys were out shovelling it off the back of a truck in Dun Laoghaire yesterday, good on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, saw some DCC guys clearing ice from the footpaths on O Connell st today and spreading dirt in its place.

In fairness, how much grit do we usually need for the entire winter, and is it possible we've used it all in the last 8 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Have they cleared anywhere after todays short but heavy snowshower at around 10am?

Yes, everywhere was covered in white after been gritted overnight. Traffic was still sliding out on the N2 Finglas road this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Has no-one told them that the priority has switched from Drumcondra to Tullamore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The above contrasts with a two man team working on O'Connell Bridge yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was down in Lucan village this morning and SDCC had the snowplough/gritter doing the rounds and a 4 man team gritting the paths. Well played lads.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Over here in D2 we had men out too but its definetely sand not salt

may have been a general decision to start spreading sand as an alternative to help stock levels of salt for key roads

sand will help cars get grip but not melt ice

it will also leave the roads/paths in a mess

anyway its better than nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Have to retract my scepticism of DCC earlier. Today was the first day there was widespread gritting of some sort with nearly every busy street gritted. Was only a little bit icy but hell of alot better than this morning, best this week so far for driving conditions.

The M50 was totally gritted, no ice at all, just wet. The N2 which i reported earlier was a little bit slippy between the M50 and the city, nothing like the bad conditions this morning.

Question is as grit/salt supplies run low, will it be continued over the weekend?

Advertisement