Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand WHV finances

Options
  • 08-01-2010 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

i was granted a WHV for New Zealand and in the visa conditions there is a clause;

"You must have evidence of funds for maintenance in New Zealand and for the purchase of a return ticket from New Zealand"

this is in the order of 4200 dollars (just over 2000 euro) and the return ticket is around 1000 dollars on top of that.

can anyone advise if this evidence is ever actually requested upon arrival and what is the best way to do it? i will have most of that cash, well over half anyway, and i will be staying for free with a friend from the time i arrive so accommodation costs aren't an issue. i arrived to australia on a WHV a couple of years ago and there was no question of me proving i had funds available. i guess they just assumed i did because i got there.

thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I wasn't asked at the border, the girl behind me wasn't asked either, and 2 people I chatted to here weren't asked either...

I brought 1000 dollars cash and a stamped and dated statement from my bank to prove I had the rest available, btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

I also wasnt asked and just got my passport stamped after a quick casual chat. I did bring evidence with a bank statement of how much I'd transferred from my Irish account, but it wasnt asked for.

I'd err on the side of caution though, just show what you have an dont risk getting sent back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i don't know anyone who was asked, i certainly wasn't. If it worries you that much as mummy or daddy or someone to xfer money into your account, print out a statement, then xfer it back to mummy or daddy. That's what I did when left NZ for Oz. I was still never asked though in either country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

cool. thanks for that.

Advertisement