Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness makes me sick

Options
  • 08-01-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Something that has started happening to me over the last few months is that every time I drink Guinness I end up getting sick. This happens whether I have one pint or loads. It only happens with Guinness, it doesn't happen when i have other stouts like Plain or O'Hara's. Is it because I have developed a taste for nice stouts so whenever I return to Guinness my taste buds can't handle it. or have Guinness stated using some strange additive recently that I can't handle?

I'm stuck for what to drink in normal pubs. I drink Guinness as I don't like fizzy beer, especially yellow fizzy beer. Should I just give up and move to an English village with a CAMRA approved pub?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Something that has started happening to me over the last few months is that every time I drink Guinness I end up getting sick. This happens whether I have one pint or loads. It only happens with Guinness, it doesn't happen when i have other stouts like Plain or O'Hara's. Is it because I have developed a taste for nice stouts so whenever I return to Guinness my taste buds can't handle it. or have Guinness stated using some strange additive recently that I can't handle?

I'm stuck for what to drink in normal pubs. I drink Guinness as I don't like fizzy beer, especially yellow fizzy beer. Should I just give up and move to an English village with a CAMRA approved pub?
    I am at a loss as to why you're getting sick. Try switching to Beamish. Much creamier pint! Beats Guinness every day IMHO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm stuck for what to drink in normal pubs.
    If you stop giving money to pubs that don't sell beer you can drink then you're doing something to make pubs better for you.

Life's too short to drink bad beer, and there's more decent beer in Dublin pubs than in most English villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

When the pub is my choice then I follow the good beer. When I need to watch rugby I have to go to one of the few pubs that will definitely show it. Unfortunately these two pub requirements do not overlap.

The rugby reason is why the small English village came to mind, my love of cask ales was born out of following Leinster in the Fizzy yellow stuff Cup.

Well, if your sport is more important than your beer, no sympathy here :D
    (Though there are TVs and decent beer in Messrs Maguire, Bull & Castle, O'Neill's Suffolk St., Paddy Cullen's, Porterhouse Temple Bar, Porterhouse Central, Porterhouse North, The Palace, and a fair few others.)

Paddy Cullens? What do they have in there? That's one place that usually shows rugby. All the other pubs you mentioned show rugby in theory, unless Accrington Stanley or someone are playing.

Horse Show House is my usual venue. No nice beer but they tick the other boxes. You'll be pleased to know that inside the RDS the bar in my jacket pocket sells Abitofacomedian Stout. No bad side effects there.

• Advertisement

Paddy Cullens? What do they have in there?
    Rebel Red and Friar Weisse. For more, there's The List.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is it because I have developed a taste for nice stouts so whenever I return to Guinness my taste buds can't handle it. or have Guinness stated using some strange additive recently that I can't handle?

I don't think it is the latter, and if it is the former then its purely psychosomatic.

If any drink makes you sick - stop drinking it. If this means that you can't drink anything a given pub has to offer, drink water.

I suspect though that it is all in your head - because you think guinness is an inferior stout and will make you sick, your body reacts accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

...every time I drink Guinness I end up getting sick...?

Are you a girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Aye the same thing happened me last night. Had about ten pints of the black shtuff in my local and I puked all over the place, can't understand it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Something that has started happening to me over the last few months is that every time I drink Guinness I end up getting sick. This happens whether I have one pint or loads. It only happens with Guinness,

Same here. Drinking the stuff for 25 years till about a month ago. Nauseus the following day even after one pint all of a sudden so I switched to lager. I have also heard a few stories about additives etc but I can't back that one up either-big difference with the lager though

• Advertisement

Had a good session yesterday and ne'er a pint of Guinness passed my lips. Was grand this morning. I'm not ready to call it myth confirmed just yet, I think a few more nights of heavy drinking are still in order.

By the way, Clotworthy Dobbin, where have you been all my life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

By the way, Clotworthy Dobbin, where have you been all my life?

Very nice all right:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you've got an intolerance to grains like barley and wheat, you can get sick from it. I miss stout. Stuck on cider and wine for rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

never had any effects like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I think they must have changed something in it, lately it makes me feel sick too. I've had to stop drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

That nobody here, myself included (see earlier post) can take advantage of the offer. Sorry to have to draw it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

You might be a coeliac. Get it checked. Murphys is coeliac friendly.

flyton5 wrote: »
    Murphys is coeliac friendly.
    Citation needed.

• Advertisement

There was no intention to be. If it came across like that then I apologise. It was only meant to be tongue in cheek, that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

flyton5 wrote: »
    You might be a coeliac. Get it checked. Murphys is coeliac friendly.

Would be very surprised at it at least 70% pale malt and that contains gluten

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

oblivious wrote: »
    Would be very surprised at it at least 70% pale malt and that contains gluten

Yeah and the rest is going to be mostly flaked barley, which also contains gluten.

There is no such thing as a regular beer which is coeliac friendly. Beer is made from barley, which contains gluten. You can reduce the amount of barley by using adjunct, like corn or rice, but you will still be using about 70% malted barley, because you need the active enzymes from the malted grain to convert the starches to sugars. The result is that even high adjunct beers like Guinness or Budweiser still have gluten in them, so no good for coeliacs.

To make a gluten free beer you would have to go to great lengths and use malted sorghum or spelt instead of barley, which is expensive and difficult to find. Glutaner and Heron are the only Gluten free beers available on the Irish market, that I am aware of.

I doubt that this is a gluten intolerance thing anyway. If you were coeliac, all beers would cause you problems, as would anything containing barley, wheat, rye or oats, like bread, pasta, porridge, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah and the rest is going to be mostly flaked barley, which also contains gluten.

There is no such thing as a regular beer which is coeliac friendly. Beer is made from barley, which contains gluten. You can reduce the amount of barley by using adjunct, like corn or rice, but you will still be using about 70% malted barley, because you need the active enzymes from the malted grain to convert the starches to sugars. The result is that even high adjunct beers like Guinness or Budweiser still have gluten in them, so no good for coeliacs.

To make a gluten free beer you would have to go to great lengths and use malted sorghum or spelt instead of barley, which is expensive and difficult to find. Glutaner and Heron are the only Gluten free beers available on the Irish market, that I am aware of.

I doubt that this is a gluten intolerance thing anyway. If you were coeliac, all beers would cause you problems, as would anything containing barley, wheat, rye or oats, like bread, pasta, porridge, etc.

Dunne's sell Estrella Daura , which is gluten free - much cheaper that the others too. Not tasted it, though.
    Abbot's Ale House also sell it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There's Hambleton Ales that do GFL (Gluten-Free Lager) and GFA (Ale), too. I know Lilac Wines in Fairview has those too and Daura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

What adjunct are you talking about in Guinness? Curious

Guinness is made with roast barley extract, I believe. And likely a cocktail of chemical stabilisers and enhancers too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

BeerNut wrote: »
    Guinness is made with roast barley extract, I believe. And likely a cocktail of chemical stabilisers and enhancers too.

Proof?

Advertisement