Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness makes me sick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Had a bad dose a while ago in the local but all is well again.
    Had a fair feed of the black stuff all weekend and I'm fine now. Initially put it down to mixing drinks but still felt it regardless.
    The local is back to normal now.. It's beamish tastes like arse! I'll stick to my 3.65/4.10 Guinness depending on the day of the week! :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Proof?
    Stuff I've heard from people who've worked in James's Gate.

If Guinness was made from just water, barley, hops and yeast you can be sure they'd plaster the fact all over their marketing. But if you want to be sure, write and ask Diageo for a full list of the ingredients in Guinness. And ask which hop varieties they use: that'll give them a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I can not understand this. You ask for a citation re murphy's. Then make sweeping statements of your own. May be true or not but some back up documentation would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

i used to drink loads of guinness and never get sick.had 1 pint on sat nite and 3 pints of bulmers and puked my ring up,and ive often mixed guinness and bulmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I had 4 pints on Sunday in the local, first time in months that I've drank Guinness in a pub and, not to be too graphic here, it went though me like never before! :eek: Not puking, just the other.....you know.
    Canned draught doesn't have the same effect though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Proof?
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Guinness is made with roast barley extract, I believe. And likely a cocktail of chemical stabilisers and enhancers too.

If it's not made by a bunch of welsh monks from the valleys (and not the popular valleys mind you) it will probably make you sick because it's got chemicals.

However, pure beers don't have chemcials, especially not C2H6OH. If it has chemicals its not worth drinking, right?

Also: http://thebeernut.blogspot.com/2005/04/cheap-n-fizzy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i think you should drink bulmers...ech how can u even drink guiness or any that sort of drink...smell of it...and has a roten taste :( dont see why its such a famous company over such drink tbh ...i know some ppl like it but i cant see why do ppl like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

i think you should drink bulmers...ech how can u even drink guiness or any that sort of drink...smell of it...and has a roten taste :( dont see why its such a famous company over such drink tbh ...i know some ppl like it but i cant see why do ppl like it...
    If thats what drinking Bulmers does for spelling and grammer, I'll stick to my Guinness, thanks! :)

I can not understand this. You ask for a citation re murphy's. Then make sweeping statements of your own.
    I wasn't actually looking for proof Murphy's isn't coeliac friendly. I know for a fact it's not -- one glance at the the Murphy's website tells me that Murphy's is made with "pale and chocolate malts and roasted barley". I was just curious as to where flyton5 heard that it contained no gluten.
    May be true or not but some back up documentation would be nice
    I spend a lot of time reading about beer. I have friends who have worked in breweries, I have friends who have professional qualifications in brewing. There are processes and ingredients and technologies that are common to all large-scale breweries -- it's just common sense to use them. However, due to an unfortunate quirk of Irish law, alcoholic beverage producers are not obliged to tell their customers what's in their products, and they get to hide behind commercial sensitivity to avoid revealing ingredients which would not suit their marketing.

So, without access to a chemical lab, I can't tell you for sure what goes into a pint of Guinness. But there's a bunch of stuff that's extremely likely. You don't have to believe me, by the way; you're free to take Diageo's word for things.
    Diageo wrote:
    Are we drinking the same GUINNESS® today, as in Arthur's day?
    Basically yes.
    If it's not made by a bunch of welsh monks from the valleys (and not the popular valleys mind you) it will probably make you sick because it's got chemicals.
    Your continued straw-man-based reverse snobbery is starting to look trollish. I've done enough blind tastings to know that, as Irish stout goes, I prefer the most of the microbrewed brands to Guinness or Beamish. I happen to quite like Murphy's, though I'm sure it's full of additives. It's the taste that matters, johnny.

If you've never blind-tasted stout I'd strongly recommend it. It might help get rid of your groundless prejudices about welsh monks and pure-brewing farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    If thats what drinking Bulmers does for spelling and grammer, I'll stick to my Guinness, thanks! :)

IS THIS SPELLING GOOD ENOUGH NOW? Well atleast it doesn't make you throw up!!!

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »

So, without access to a chemical lab, I can't tell you for sure what goes into a pint of Guinness. But there's a bunch of stuff that's extremely likely. You don't have to believe me, by the way; you're free to take Diageo's word for things.

I am sorry but you basically have no proof about your statement then?
    There may be stabilisers but EVERYTHING is a chemical and not all negative.
    Isolating and naming Budweiser and Guinness as adjunct high, is rather unfair given that you do not know what (if anything) is there and the effects.

A few people having anecdotal evidence about getting the runs/gawks after drinking is not enough to base a conclusion on. There could easily have been external factors going on.

I am sorry but you basically have no proof about your statement then?
    You're right. I cannot prove that there is water or any other chemical in Guinness.

EVERYTHING is a chemical and not all negative.
    Did I say otherwise?

Isolating and naming Budweiser and Guinness as adjunct high, is rather unfair given that you do not know what (if anything) is there and the effects.
    The use of rice in Budweiser is well documented. Always read the label.
    A few people having anecdotal evidence about getting the runs/gawks after drinking is not enough to base a conclusion on.
    I know. I really hate those "this specific drink had this specific medical effect on me" posts. As I keep saying: the most dangerous chemical in any drink is the alcohol; the thing that's causing your hangover/vomiting is the alcohol.

I apologise, as I did not word that correctly

As, there may/may not be all different adjuncts in large scale breweries. The ingredients of Guinness are stated as Water,Hops,Barley,Yeast where as Bud has rice as a stated ingredient

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Irish playwright Brendan Behan was asked to devise an advertising slogan for Guinness. He came up with "Guinness makes you drunk."

The ingredients of Guinness are stated as Water,Hops,Barley,Yeast
    Where?

On Guinness.com it says
    Our key ingredients - other than inspiration - are roasted, malted barley, hops, yeast and water.
    The wording makes clear that this isn't a full list.

Advertisement