Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden pubs of Galway?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Just wanted to know if there were any hidden pubs in galway, hidden gems. I know of the ones like the blue note and massimos, but any pubs that most people never heard of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

A few down the West. They are as hidden as you will get. What are you looking for in a pub though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

I look for alcohol in a pub mostly....Im lookin for a nice enough pub, not too big, not an old man pub but one that takes in the young and older people, friendly, nice relaxed atmosphere, maybe with traditional music being played, nice seats. that was very specific...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Arus de Brun's a nice wee place on Dominic Street and Araa na Gael is great, also Dominic Street...may not be hidden to many people tho! Depends what youre into

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The old forge next door to Massimos.

never been to the old forge now, i will try that, thanks dafunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Not really 'hidden' but O'Connells on Eyre Square is mighty.

O'Connells is ok, nice beer garden, nice for a few pints i geuss

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Used to visit Mary Ann Keelahans on Newcastle Rd by boat decades back.Still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

dafunk wrote: »

:D:D:D good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

mcalindens on dominick st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Paddy Fahy's on Bohermore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

sells wrote: »
    I look for alcohol in a pub mostly....Im lookin for a nice enough pub, not too big, not an old man pub but one that takes in the young and older people, friendly, nice relaxed atmosphere, maybe with traditional music being played, nice seats. that was very specific...

trad music in pub means it wll be wedged with tourists and could not be classified as hidden.
    the crane used to be be 'hidden' until it started appearing in the guide books. only pub in galway where you are forbibben to speak, but expected to listen in reverence to whoever is playing or singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Sheridans on the docks. Nicely off the beaten path and fine bowl of stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

McTigs wrote: »
    Sheridans on the docks. Nicely off the beaten path and fine bowl of stew.

when did we start eating stew from a bowl?
    i thought eating stew outisde of the home was somehing only tourists did.
    i am surprised that Sheridans serves peasant food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Call it what you like, it's a bloody good bowl of stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Fuinseog wrote: »
    trad music in pub means it wll be wedged with tourists and could not be classified as hidden.
    the crane used to be be 'hidden' until it started appearing in the guide books. only pub in galway where you are forbibben to speak, but expected to listen in reverence to whoever is playing or singing.

I was at a session in the Crane one night where the drunken seanós was sooo bad others started there own over the first out of tune and forget the words 'singer', hilarious!! It was like a bunch of howling dogs!!

The docks has some lovely pubs now with Sheridans and no. 8 and if you travel out of town a bit... Mc Hughes on the Tuam road, five oul fellas drinking pints of guinnes only, telly turned down low (or off!!) and a real fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

dafunk wrote: »
    skelliser wrote: »
    mcalindens on dominick st

A list of wild west pubs where if you walked in the door you'd give three people whip lash- in my understandably very limited experience of the place, McAlindens is the least welcoming pub in Galway.

I think a hidden gem is Wards in lower Salthill- like drinking in someones sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Did anyone ever drink in Hughes in woodquay? meant to a few times but never got around to it. Lovely guinness apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If I tell you I'd have to kill you :D
    Good pubs are supposed to be stumbled upon imo, not found on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

hmmm

yeah some of the ones mentioned wouldnt be the most welcoming place particularly if you're not auld shtock. the old forge is for serious drinkers, as is paddy fahys up in bohermore. hughes' is grand, lots of woodquay locals and people from out headford side. the central bar in woodquay is also an experience...the west and woodquay are the last haunts of the serious drinker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hughes can be lovely, but has been 'discovered' and re-discovered a few times by different crowds.

Hanley Oaks for the win! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Did anyone ever drink in Hughes in woodquay? meant to a few times but never got around to it. Lovely guinness apparently
    Hughes was very much the "aul lad" pub for as long as I can remember (not very far back). I haven't been in there in years though.

Allegedly, and this is a long time ago, well before my time, some of the old fellas would park the cars in the lane behind and shneak out that way with about 10 pints in them. It was well known and pretty much any guard that came across them would follow them home, to make sure they got there without incident.:rolleyes:

The few times I've been in Hughes, I was "looked at" like I was an unwelcome outsider... :D
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Hanley Oaks for the win! ;)
    Eh... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Used to visit Mary Ann Keelahans on Newcastle Rd by boat decades back.Still there?

That brings back memories. Often got a carry out there on way to parties in my student days. Late 1980's. Has been taken over and totally revamnped for about 15 years now. Called River Inn or something like that.

Was yer man's name Peter Michael???

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Keelehans is still there, bit pricey but an absolutely gorgeous meal next to an open fire. Nice for a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Mc Peaks Hotel in Salthill beside Vagabonds :D
    Other than that Hughes Pub in Woodquay, Bierhouse and Bar Number 9..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Keelehans is still there, bit pricey but an absolutely gorgeous meal next to an open fire. Nice for a treat

We talking about the same place?? Opposite the Uni Hospital???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stage Door ;)

Cookes in Newcastle.

Murty Rabbits in Forster St isn't exactly hidden, but not well known either. I don't much like the guy's politics, but it is usually warm inside.

Garavans.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scillaria

I would recommend the salt house down beside monroes can't beat it. The atmosphere is great and also has a selection of games like jenga and guess who available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

We talking about the same place?? Opposite the Uni Hospital???

The pub across from the uni is called the river inn the other poster is confused with the pub in busypark both have terrible guinness.

Hiden pubs should remain hidden. They are hidden for a good reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

The cottage in lower salthill, only there once and can't say much about the drink because I was doing a sober night but lovely food and nice homely atmosphere.

Advertisement