Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden pubs of Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

nerophis wrote: »
    A list of wild west pubs where if you walked in the door you'd give three people whip lash- in my understandably very limited experience of the place, McAlindens is the least welcoming pub in Galway.

I think a hidden gem is Wards in lower Salthill- like drinking in someones sitting room

Ssshh. Don't publicise the *real* gems.

heheh. Yes, Ward's is a good spot and the Old Forge is a bit of a local pub for local people but they're friendly, in a threatening kind of way, and if you go in drunk enough you're bound to enjoy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

sells wrote: »
    hidden gems. I know of the ones like the blue note

Blue Note, are ya having a laugh? That pub is so dull. BierHaus FTW! and The Roisin!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Dew Drop Inn too.And O'Connells if ya love the Rugby like myself and Robbo:) Great Connacht Supporters Pub. Sally Longs is another good pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

O'Connor's in Lr Salthill. Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I have to say I always liked McAlinden's too...I never found it unwelcoming....reminded me of what a local used to be with regulars etc. There are not many unpretentious places left that are just basic pubs that serve pints and peanuts. Don't get me wrong, I like good pub grub but sometimes you just want a boozer that is for boozing. I also agree that O'Connell's is in this category....but hardly hidden, as has been noted by others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭chriz

Westside Tavern :pac:

Walked passed it almost everyday last year was told never to go in to it great for a carryout at half 3 in the morning just band on the back door till you get an answer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PJ's in Salthill.

Not that it's amazing but it's definitely hidden unless your local. Used to be busier when it had the pre-Warwick crowd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

chriz wrote: »
    Westside Tavern :pac:

Walked passed it almost everyday last year was told never to go in to it great for a carryout at half 3 in the morning just band on the back door till you get an answer :pac:
    Is that place not closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

It's being renovated now and apparently it will re-open on Paddy's day, hope it'll be half decent at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Wow a long time since I heard anyone call the pub ''Maryannes'' she ran Kelehans in Bushypark with her brother John until she was able to and then John took over full time, John Kelehans son also called John now runs the pub. Id say you would have a nice trek if you pulled up in a boat now lol

Peter Michael Kelehans was the pub opposite the hospital on Newcastle Road he was a brother of Maryanne and John. The pub changed hands a long time ago and is now The River Inn.

Cant comment on the Guinness in either of the pubs but you can be guaranteed a nice bit of grub in Kelehans. If the Guinness is that bad I hope the previous poster notified them! Nobody likes to hear the are selling a bad pint!!

Hughes is always great for a lil bit reminising good for guinness too I hear. Cookes bar in Shantalla also, And of course you cant beat Murphys on high street nice lil gem that pub imo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

This thread should be changed from "Hidden pubs of Galway" to "Pubs I don't go to, but went into once or twice and it seemed to be great".

O'Connell's. Dew Drop Inn. O'Connor's. Blue Note. etc.
    Hardly 'hidden' pubs if they are packed to capacity every weekend. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

This thread should be changed from "Hidden pubs of Galway" to "Pubs I don't go to, but went into once or twice and it seemed to be great".

I totally agree. Has anyone mentioned Freeney's yet? Maybe the only pub in town that sells not only drink but all manner of hunting and fishing arcana as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The cottage in lower salthill, only there once and can't say much about the drink because I was doing a sober night but lovely food and nice homely atmosphere.

+1 Cottage is my pub of choice.

O'Connell's. Dew Drop Inn. O'Connor's. Blue Note. etc.
    Hardly 'hidden' pubs if they are packed to capacity every weekend. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Hidden pubs are really sh!te pubs that nobody goes to otherwise they'd be popular pubs.

Such as The Bal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

In my opinion the best pub in galway is Murphy's, great guinness and a ngood atmosphere, my local is the merlin bar, its a nice spot since it was renovated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Is the Snug no longer in existance, passed today and it looked like the entrance to a beauticians

DD67 wrote: »
    Is the Snug no longer in existance, passed today and it looked like the entrance to a beauticians

Yes indeed. And it still attracts hairy women.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DD67 wrote: »
    Well it might still be there. It's quite easy to walk past it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukonmaki

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Freeney's... very local even though its in the thick of everything....

but for the real hidden gem... Trends in salthill....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

lukonmaki wrote: »
    Cant believe nobody has mentioned Freeney's... very local even though its in the thick of everything....

but for the real hidden gem... Trends in salthill....!

Yet again it's on High Street sandwiched between Galway's two busiest streets and it's full every night of the week. It's hardly hidden dude.

'Trends' however, that's so hidden i didn't know it was still going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Greaney wrote: »
    I was at a session in the Crane one night where the drunken seanós was sooo bad others started there own over the first out of tune and forget the words 'singer', hilarious!! It was like a bunch of howling dogs!!

The docks has some lovely pubs now with Sheridans and no. 8 and if you travel out of town a bit... Mc Hughes on the Tuam road, five oul fellas drinking pints of guinnes only, telly turned down low (or off!!) and a real fire

used to go there regular at the weekends years ago(I think it was better before it was taken over last!)
    Howling dogs is great!
    Especially when they tell you to shush! cos some toothless wonder has a story/song to tell!
    ambiance at its best!
    slan
    sean

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

That brings back memories. Often got a carry out there on way to parties in my student days. Late 1980's. Has been taken over and totally revamnped for about 15 years now. Called River Inn or something like that.

Was yer man's name Peter Michael???

aaaahhhh .... Peter Michaels. Never dared actually go in there for a pint. Locals strictly of the male persuasion. lots of takeaway though!

Advertisement