Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

erasmus exam

• 08-01-2010 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

im on erasmus in spain nd i have 2 come home on the 28th of january but i have an exam on d 2nd r 3rd of feb.. has anyone had any problem like dis?? if ye have, wer ye able to change d date of d exam or jus not do it at all..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

turkey46 wrote: »
    im on erasmus in spain nd i have 2 come home on the 28th of january but i have an exam on d 2nd r 3rd of feb.. has anyone had any problem like dis?? if ye have, wer ye able to change d date of d exam or jus not do it at all..

First of all, I think it might depend on whether you're on mandatory or optional Erasmus. If it's the former, you're probably there on a pass/fail basis and in which case you might be able to arrange something; if it's the latter it probably actually counts towards your QCA and I don't know if you'll be able to get out of it.

When I was on (mandatory) Erasmus, it was pass/fail basis. We had exams after the start of the UL semester which obviously took priority for us. We spoke to the Erasmus co-ordinator in our host university who told us to speak to individual course tutors and arrange alternative suitable methods of assessment. In two of the modules, the tutor just let us off as we had been submitting continuous course work and said they'd grade us based on that; for the fourth, we wrote a 5000 word essay instead of the exam and we were still there for the written exam in our fifth module so we sat that one.

It's up to your host university how they assess you so that you can pass the modules and get the ECTS. My advice would be to speak to the Erasmus coordinator there and see what he/she says.

If you are on a pass/fail Erasmus, I'd say you won't have a problem organising alternative assessment: my impression was that they (nor UL) didn't really care too much... There were five others on Erasmus with me: we all got pretty much straight As with absolutely no work and the coursework was a doddle (e.g. I took 20th century history. Exam was short questions. First Q: "What year did WWI start?" :eek: I was majoring in history in UL so I looked for the catch...there was none! :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 turkey46

ya im mandatory alrite.. ill give d lecturer a shout on monday so.. i no wat u mean about it being fairly easy. ders 3 of us here nd ive only had 2 do a presentation on only fools and horses so far.. hopefully it shud b no problem..

i no its pass/fail but i was told if u do very well u can increase ur qca.. is der any truth in dis?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

turkey46 wrote: »
    ya im mandatory alrite.. ill give d lecturer a shout on monday so.. i no wat u mean about it being fairly easy. ders 3 of us here nd ive only had 2 do a presentation on only fools and horses so far.. hopefully it shud b no problem..

i no its pass/fail but i was told if u do very well u can increase ur qca.. is der any truth in dis?

1stly..... No you can't invrese your QCA.
    2ndly.... Not sure fom your message but if your exam is back here you better get back and do it!!!!!
    If not, look into your results so far... if you have passed the subject already you'll be fine (ie. pass/fail). if not you should stay to do it!!!

Would never normally say skip an exam exam, but its erasmus so its pass /fail!!!!! It doesn't affect QCA so if you already have a pass..... fect it and come home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Smul

Usually if you are there for a year it does affect your qca but I have a friend who was on erasmus for one semester who was allowed to count his grades towards his qca.
    From my experience it all depends on the mood of your erasmus co-ordinator at home and mine was completely incompitent.
    With your exams, contact your erasmus co-ordinator at home first and then each of your lecturers. I was in Berlin for one semester and we did all oral exams before the official exams to be back for the ul semester which was obligatory. We were even given the choice of doing the exams in english or german.
    Dont stress about it anyway! Ul b fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Im on erasmus in austria at the moment, ive exams at the end of january so ill only be getting to UL in february and miss the 1st week of college there, hopefully its not a big deal.

I'm on optional erasmus but i havent a hope of passing half my exams here because they put me in masters courses and im only a second year but they said i could just not put them on my transcript if I fail and it will be as if I never did that course.
    Technically your supposed to get like 30 ECTS credits on erasmus but its looking like im only going to get 15 or 16.

Don't know how this is going to effect my QCA or how they are even going to convert it. Its kind of unfair because the university I went to really sucks for erasmus students and it looks like im going to pay for it when I get back home

• Advertisement
Advertisement