Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water - heating OK?

• 08-01-2010 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Yet another frozen pipes victim. No water anywhere except my cisterns refill ok but only flushed 2/3 times. New house with gas central heating. Is it ok to use the heating? Also, there's a pressure gauge on the heating boiler that I have to top up to keep it to 1 every once in a while (irregularly) but it's now at 2. Is this a problem as the heating was on before I noticed the water was gone.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

No problem at all, the boiler will shut down to protect itself if low water became a issue, Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

JoJo_27 wrote: »
    Yet another frozen pipes victim. No water anywhere except my cisterns refill ok but only flushed 2/3 times. New house with gas central heating. Is it ok to use the heating? Also, there's a pressure gauge on the heating boiler that I have to top up to keep it to 1 every once in a while (irregularly) but it's now at 2. Is this a problem as the heating was on before I noticed the water was gone.
    Any advice appreciated.

Your toilets fill up from your tank in attic. You should conserve water. Not flush unless you really have to :) This will last you a few days. Also no more showers, basin and sponge! Since your mains has frozen your tank cannot replenish itself. Like the previous poster said your heating should be OK and will cut off in the event of a problem.

One thing to be careful of is that your heating pipes don't freeze. SHouldn't be a problem if you don't leave the house unheated for extended periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

I seem to have a similar problem. No water in hot taps, cold fine (mains) but I think the tank in the attic is still filling (will check later). A
    should I just minimise water use or could it be a different problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated. I've put the heating on timed to come on for a couple of hours 3 times a day so hopefully will avoid the heating pipes freezing. Just have to wait for the thaw now I guess! Sponge baths and buckets down the toilet for a while!!

Advertisement