Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Apartment Rental Websites - New York

Options
  • 08-01-2010 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking to rent for 3 weeks in New York this June/July, anyone have reccommendations for websites to use? I've been looking at http://vacation.new-york-apartment.com/ and http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk and bizarely there seems to be a massive price difference or am I not understanding it correctly?

Anyone with tips on renting in New York would be appreciated, it will be my first time in the States and I am quite naive in respect.

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

In New York, there is always a huge price difference depending on the area. You can stay in a good place, close to everything and pay a bomb, or you can go cheaper, stay somewhere a little more dodgy and get a 20 minute train ride to all the sites and stores. I found a place last summer on newyork.craigslist.org under the vacation rentals section. You have to be careful, there are a lot of scams that will try make you pay a 50% deposit! Anything over 10% is too much! It can be between $30 and $100 a night, depending on the area and how long your staying. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

We stayed in an apartment complex in Tribeca (near ground zero) last time we were there. Cant remember the name of the website but think the complex was tribeca green or something like that. It was really really nice but expensive - you would want to be going with a few people to keep the costs down. Some friend stayed in similar apartments in Radio city and they were lovely too, but again - very expensive - especially if you will be there for 3 weeks. Most of these apartments would probably be classed as corporate lets if I remember correctly. You may actually work out cheaper in a hotel and if you dont like it at least you can move to another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cwc1000

like the above guy said,
    newyork.craigslist.org
    is the only and best way to do short term rental of apartments.
    I've sublet my apartment there a number of times and have had no problems.
    Obviously there can be scams but the value to be had relative to a hotel is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

cwc1000 wrote: »
    like the above guy said,
    newyork.craigslist.org
    is the only and best way to do short term rental of apartments.
    I've sublet my apartment there a number of times and have had no problems.
    Obviously there can be scams but the value to be had relative to a hotel is amazing

Anybody got any good tips as to how to spot the scams on Craigslist, the choice of apartments for NY look amazing and some too good to be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cwc1000

while there are scams on craigslist, they get spotted, reported and removed fairly often.
    the best way is to pick a particular area in the city and read loads of ads for short term rental
    the more you read the easier it is to spot the dodgy ones.
    exchange mails with the person renting the place and check them out.
    people going away from NY for a short term sublet their places all the time.
    well i do anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I always email them and then you usually get an email back with their name. Google this and find as much as you can about them. The scams all boil down to how you pay them a deposit and how much they ask for. Paypal is the best option and usually about 1 or 2 nights deposit, depending on how long your staying. I emailed one guy and googled his name, he came up all over the news and law records for having killed another guy and been in gangs and prison and stuff. I stayed away from him. If you want, send an email to this guy:

aramkr@gmail.com

He owns a lot of places in New York and is a really pleasant person to work with. He met us from the airport and had everything organised for us. It ended up being $900 for 10 nights for 3 of us, which was $30 a night each, thats roughly the same as hostels but this place was much nicer and of course just the three of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭srmufc

nyhabitat.com - highly recommended

Advertisement