Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn between 3 courses

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

So im gettin ready to do me CAO but have no idea what to do

I'm rating the courses on 4 different areas:
    *Interest in the subject
    *College sports clubs & socs
    *Potential careers / salary
    *Practice Vs Theory

So my 1st choice is Digital Media @ IT Tallaght
    I have a strong interest in the subjects for this course, and the degree is broad, and also lets me do a language, which I'd enjoy. It's a very Practical course. However, the clubs don't seem great. Im not sure what kind of money there is in the Media industry.

Next up, Arts @ UCD
    Would choose French, and another subject I enjoy. College is very sociable and has some great Sports clubs, and a diverse student body. College has Winter exams before xmas. CONS: An Arts degree, as far as I know, doesn't really qualify you to go straight into work. All I could think of is teaching, after doin a H-Dip.

Round 3, IT / Computer Science
    I'm not sure if I'd like it, as I've never tried anything similar, but I do enjoy computing in general. It's in a few colleges so sports and socs would be good. It'd prob be 50-50 practical theory, but again I'm not sure. Career wise, there seems to be a lot of work, with very good salaries. Also, its a good skill for visa applications. I have a friend who works in IT so I'll have a chat with him

end of rant!

Any feedback welcome

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

From someone that went to college and worked in different jobs.

I have had jobs that paid well, very well indeed, but I was never happier then when I worked for an animal rescue, it wasn't well paid, but it was rewarding.

Money is not everything, it is very hard to have to spend 8 to 12 hours of your day, everyday doing something you don't like, do it for long enough and it will eat you up.

First you have to decide what do you want more, carer prospects, money or job satisfaction.

My youngest could not make that decision last year so she's doing a short 1 to 2 years course before choosing a collage course, maybe you need more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Hey, thanks a mil for the reply

That's what has me frustrated, I'm lookin for the best balance of what you mentioned

I'm gna try tag along to some mate's lectures, hopefully that'd help

Advertisement