Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do you feed your 1 year old +

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

How many times does your child eat a day?

What do you usually feed him or her?

I am just curious about this because my son is a picky eater. He doesn't eat what doesn't smell nice or look nice. He is deaply routeded in useing his own bowl and spoon to eat nothing else and also using his own chair.

He usually eats oat, mix veg (broachly, carrot etc) with potatoes mash, yogurt and milk. Is this healthy eating? He is 18 months very active and he has a routing which he doesn't like to be broken. :S

I am just a father so is this ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

At 18months old, my twins ate whatever we ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, unless it was very spicey salty. Of course we'd cut it up for them, but like your little one, they loved (still do!) to feed themselves. When we couldn't eat together for whatever reason, I'd make them a hot dog or some chicken nuggets. We also left food out for them during the day to snack on, such as baby carrots, wholegrain crackers, string cheese, goldfish (the salty snack), etc; we left these on the foot-stool or a coffee table so thye could help themsleves. Watered down juice was also always available, and they get milk with breakfast and before bed.

My girl was more into eating meals with us at that stage, but my boy, while not picky, just is a grazer and he prefers to eat a little all through the day. When they seemed off their food or now, during winter, we also give them a vitamin gummy or two, for some extra nutrients. It says on the bottle they are for 2+ years, but our GP said they were fine once the toddler has teeth and chews well.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    my 20mth boy eats what we eat (not the really spicey stuff).
    Hes also really big on fruit.........stuff he can feed himself like banana, grapes, satsuma.

He also likes not so healthy stuff like maize crispy things (onion rings cheese puffs etc) and biscuits, chocolate buttons. Doesn't do any other type of sweets.

The big problem I have is getting him to eat meat. Sometimes he will but sometimes he goes days not really eating any just the veg. (carrots and peas are his fav).

Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RealistSpy wrote: »
    He usually eats oat, mix veg (broachly, carrot etc) with potatoes mash, yogurt and milk. Is this healthy eating?

Yep. Covers all the bases. Vitamins, minerals, carbs, protein and some fats. I'd say just make sure it's full fat milk. Kids need that extra energy. If anything I'd say try to get a little fruit in, but veg is more important than fruit.

Our little one was a snacker until recently. Only in the last month (at 35 months) has she started eating all 3 meals with us. We used to only have trouble with dinner, but that's since gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is he not eating any meat at all? Protein needs to be included in the diet so if no meat is being introduced then he needs to be eating lots of protein rich foods such as beans, lentils etc...

My 12 month old eats a bowl of Ready Brek or Wheetabix for breakfast with a bottle of milk.

For lunch she usually has a yoghurt and a rusk/liga.

For dinner it's usually mashed potato with some kind of veg (changes weekly, usually carrot and turnip or carrot and cauliflower, brocilli, sprouts etc) and either chicken or beef cut into little pieces.

For tea it's usually a fruit pot or a piece of fruit and a bottle of milk for bed. She gets water during the day also.

She is also beginning to take little scraps of our plates, for instance the other day she robbed some of my beef curry and loved it. So I mixed some rice with the curry sauce and she demolished that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

He doesn't like the taste of meat, when he sees it he runs away. He loves his fruits and yes we give him full fat milk. He tries what we east aswell maybe 1 or 2 bits he loves pasta.

He throws up after meat, eggs and beans!

I will try Ready Brek and see what he thinks of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Orlaithc9

Hi All,
    My 12 month olds daily food intake is as such:

7 am - 7 oz bottle of formula milk

9 am - brown bread toast (cut into pieces)
    And a bowl of weetabix or Readybrek

12 -1pm -homemade fruit pot and yogurt

3-4pm Liga/yogurt/packet of skips

6pm Dinner (potato waffles /fish fingers/ chicken nuggest/ baked beans / tinned spagetti / steamed fish/ steamed chicken/mixed veg - carrots, turnip, peas, green beans,broccolli etc / pototos/ pasta - the odd day she will have a baby jar eg Heinz. Cow and Gate)

7pm - 7 oz bottle of formula milk

Water or watered down juice during the day

Im not sure if her diet is good or bad - I try to cook most things from scratch and buy fresh but its very hard to get the time while working full time. Shes a great little eater though and gives everything a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

RealistSpy wrote: »
    He doesn't like the taste of meat, when he sees it he runs away. ...
    He throws up after meat, eggs and beans!

Do you mean he throws up as in spits it out when you try to push it on him, like a tantrum, or he throws up every time meat/egg etc gets into his mouth, even if he picks it up himself or it is part of a dish? If the later, there may be a serious allergy issue, I'd get that checked out by a doctor. If the former, you might try "hiding" it.... such as hotdog in a bun, or pasta backe with a little mince meat, or omlette with fruit and maple syrup to hide the taste of egg.

silja wrote: »
    Do you mean he throws up as in spits it out when you try to push it on him, like a tantrum, or he throws up every time meat/egg etc gets into his mouth, even if he picks it up himself or it is part of a dish? If the later, there may be a serious allergy issue, I'd get that checked out by a doctor. If the former, you might try "hiding" it.... such as hotdog in a bun, or pasta backe with a little mince meat, or omlette with fruit and maple syrup to hide the taste of egg.

Nah I don't force him to eat any thing he doesn't want. After tasting the meat it comes straight back out. He is going for allergy check soon. I keep fatty food away from him because I am a sport person so I don't go near them myself.

I loves hot dogs though :) just the meaty bit. I have tried blending normal meat and hiding it, somehow he detects it lol!

Orlaithc9 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    My 12 month olds daily food intake is as such:

7 am - 7 oz bottle of formula milk

9 am - brown bread toast (cut into pieces)
    And a bowl of weetabix or Readybrek

12 -1pm -homemade fruit pot and yogurt

3-4pm Liga/yogurt/packet of skips

6pm Dinner (potato waffles /fish fingers/ chicken nuggest/ baked beans / tinned spagetti / steamed fish/ steamed chicken/mixed veg - carrots, turnip, peas, green beans,broccolli etc / pototos/ pasta - the odd day she will have a baby jar eg Heinz. Cow and Gate)

7pm - 7 oz bottle of formula milk

Water or watered down juice during the day

Im not sure if her diet is good or bad - I try to cook most things from scratch and buy fresh but its very hard to get the time while working full time. Shes a great little eater though and gives everything a try.

Wow :)

My son only eats 3 times a day full meal with whole milk.
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is he not eating any meat at all? Protein needs to be included in the diet so if no meat is being introduced then he needs to be eating lots of protein rich foods such as beans, lentils etc...

Yoghurt and milk have plenty of (complete) protein in them. Yoghurt is around 5g protein per 100g and milk is around 3g per 100ml if memory serves. An infants protein requirements are actually fairly minimal. Even as an adult, the minimum requirements are small unless you're an athlete. Also, oats are around 10% protein (though not a complete protein, it's a decent quality one). Broccolli is also a (surprisingly) reasonable source of protein.

Meat or fish are obviously very easy ways to get protein in. Fish fingers are a winner. I make sure our little one gets plenty of protein by giving her oat pancakes in the morning. I add whey to them which is a milk derivative but very high in protein. Mostly I do this for myself, but she likes them so no harm.

Our little one loves cottage cheese on crackers too. That's a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I don't think my 5 year old has ever eaten meat except very occasionally ham in a sandwich and he will eat chicken nuggets (but not regular chicken:rolleyes:). His eating habits go way beyond fussiness though and I think he's mildly dyspraxic and it's linked to that :( That said he's healthy and "seems" to be getting ample nutrition without meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sec1307

if your child isnt eating meat maybe try some egg yolk or beans....my one is 11 months and she eats EVERYTHING. baby ceral for breakfast den soup, meat and veg for dinner and custard fruity desert later on and sometimes a yougurt in the eve. but if she see someone eating anything and i mean anything she has to have some.
    the only thing she wouldnt eat was cauliflour cheese and i wouldnt even eat that myself. no-one can ever believe how much she eats as shes very small for her age. she only drinks 13oz of follow-on milk tho
    if your child is picky maybe try mixing some soup in with there dinner...it adds alot of taste esp chicken or oxtail soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

In increase protein intake in diet, you could try peanut butter, hummous, scrammbled egg (a bit disguised!), other pulses/nuts/seeds (just make sure you don't leave your child along while eating the nuts or seeds in case they gag or begin to choke).
    My youngest, 18 motnhs is eating meals with the rest of the family, not the keeneest on all fruits/vegs but does try and likes some.
    I give mine small snacks between main meals of dried fruit, raisins, mini-rice cake sandwiches of ham & cheese or use a shape cookie cutter to cut them out from normal bread, some dried cereals (e.g. oat clusters, cheerios), small crackers with peanut butter or hummous. Formage frais, yoghurt drinks, cut cheese cubes or sticks off the big block. Treats can be jelly, some icecream, microwave popcorn, a few fruit juice jellies, or some nice chocolate (dark).
    Drinks are usually whole milk, water, apple juice (I dilute 1:1 or more with water and they always drink with a straw - warned about tooth erosion by the dentist).

If your child is still on some toddler formula, they're still be getting a good enough nutrients base anyway.

Advertisement