Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As the STS programme shuts down,Soyuz is on the rise!

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭

Arianespace’s first two Soyuz launchers on their way to French Guiana
    The first two Soyuz launchers have left Russia for the Guiana Space Center, Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana (northern part of South America). The legendary Russian launcher will lift off from its new launch pad, now being completed, for the first time in 2010.
    The two Soyuz launchers left St. Petersburg today aboard the MN Colibri, which is one of two ships used by Arianespace to transport Ariane launch vehicles from their European manufacturing sites to French Guiana. The ship will arrive in a port near Kourou, French Guiana, in about two weeks.

sbres_1257681843_0__.gif

The two Soyuz rockets will be launched in 2010 from a new purpose-built Soyuz launch complex at the Guiana Space Center. Soyuz will become the medium-lift launcher in the Arianespace family, operated from the most modern launch site in the world alongside the Ariane 5 heavy-lift launcher, which just logged its 34th successful mission in a row.
    The shipment of our first two Soyuz launchers to French Guiana is a major milestone, taking us a step closer to its introduction in Arianespace’s commercial service from Europe’s Spaceport,” said Arianespace Chairman and CEO Jean-Yves Le Gall. “ With Soyuz, shortly to be joined by Vega, Arianespace will have a complete range of launch vehicles, enabling us to launch any payload, to any orbit, at any time.”
    Due to the virtually equatorial location of the Guiana Space Center, Soyuz is capable of lofting communications satellites weighing up to 3 metric tons into geostationary orbit – versus 1.8 metric tons from its current launch site in Baikonur. Soyuz is also perfectly suited for the launch of scientific or Earth observation spacecraft, as well as constellations of satellites.
    Arianespace has ordered 14 Soyuz launchers from Russian industry to date, and nearly all of these launches are already booked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

BOO,HISS!!:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I wonder how the Russian launchers will handle the local conditions - equatorial French Guiana (hot, wet) is a lot different to Baikonur (cold, dry)? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few problems down there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Bah humbug............:D The Soyuz is a nice little spacecraft but its no Shuttle!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Beeker wrote: »
    Bah humbug............:D The Soyuz is a nice little spacecraft but its no Shuttle!!!:D:D

Beeker my sincere apologies,I had hoped not to upset You by mentioning soyuz:(

It sure aint no Shuttle...........................Like it launch's first time everytime!:pac::pac::pac::D

ynotdu wrote: »
    It sure aint no Shuttle...........................Like it launch's first time everytime!:pac::pac::pac::D

But it could never repair Hubble or construct an ISS!:p:p:p

• Advertisement

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I wonder how the Russian launchers will handle the local conditions - equatorial French Guiana (hot, wet) is a lot different to Baikonur (cold, dry)? I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few problems down there.

good question Mayo! I suppose only time will tell.
    The Soyuz has so few sensors compared to a Shuttle it never scrubs,lord knows how many times a Soyuz was close to disaster but Mission control/Cosmonauts did not know?.since the first one though only four Cosmonauts have been lost on a mission.

You could be right the transport by sea and the much higher tempretures is an unknown quantity on the metal?

lord lucan wrote: »
    But it could never repair Hubble or construct an ISS!:p:p:p

No but it could bring crews to the Salyuts,Mir and of course the Shuttle docked with Mir when it 'had no other home to go ta':pac::pac::D

No but it could bring crews to the Salyuts,Mir and of course the Shuttle docked with Mir when it 'had no other home to go ta':pac::pac::D

The Shuttle will always have a home here in Lucan,especially Atlantis!:):)

The Shuttle will always have a home here in Lucan,especially Atlantis!:):)

beats the hell outta Me why Atlantis is Your favourite;)

Is Lucan THAT snowbound that it is now lost like the lost city, Shergar,Elvis and You Lord Lucan,
    p.s how do i pay You yar ground rent?:confused::)

beats the hell outta Me why Atlantis is Your favourite;)

Is Lucan THAT snowbound that it is now lost like the lost city, Shergar,Elvis and You Lord Lucan,
    p.s how do i pay You yar ground rent?:confused::)

Feckin' right it is,my estate is in tatters. Shergar is tied up in the garden and Elvis is cutting the logs for the fire!:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Feckin' right it is,my estate is in tatters. Shergar is tied up in the garden and Elvis is cutting the logs for the fire!:pac::pac:

Lol lol lol:)

Sounds like yar 'In the Ghetto'!

Lol lol lol:)

Sounds like yar 'In the Ghetto'!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Beeker my sincere apologies,I had hoped not to upset You by mentioning soyuz:(

Easy now........be good.....:D
    Freezing here in the sunny southeast...-4.5

Try stirring up your Cryo tanks,if it does'nt heat ya up it will at least distract You;):p:)

That's balmy Beeker,it's -9 here!:eek::eek:

Advertisement