Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian husky or german shepard

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys

know ye are the best people for advice on this one.
    Long story cut short which would be better for someone with limited experience of dogs, plenty of land and time for either dog and also very active daily and would not have a problem exercising.

The reason I ask is that I don't know if someone with limited experience of owning large dogs should get either of the above dogs.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

To be honest, I dont think either of those breeds would be suitable, they require stern handling and this requires experience. Maybe something like a labrador or a golden retriever if you wanted a larger breed but with a placid good temperament.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Huskies hate to be left alone, they nearly always manage to escape when away from their owner for any period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Personally Id have to say the gsd as have one but both are beauts.

I wouldnt advise you not to go for a bigger dog but I would advise you to think long and hard before doing so and do your homework....alot of responsibility comes with them.

All pups are hard work and time consuming if nothing else and need to be watched like babies, as said above good training is a must, these are both big dogs and they will need to be under control or you run into problems.

Its not just a matter of picking one and seen what happens its a commitment so know your stuff before hand, do you have any even friends of friends that have either that could advise you for your particular circumstances?

Google both breeds and read up on them, if your serious even buy a book before hand both on training and the breed so you know whats ahead of you and what to expect and whats expected of you.

As I said my choice would be the shepherd because I believe they are a true companion but only after hard work and dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Are you looking for a pup or would you be open to an adult dog?
    Would you consider trying the rescues for a dog? A lot of larger dogs are given up, if you wait and keep an eye out you may find what you want and rescues can give you info about the dogs personality and any training its had. It could be and easy start for you, with the possibility of getting a second dog for company when you have a bit of experience.
    If you have the time and space, (and money) 2 dogs are great, they play together and keep each other company when you have to leave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I won't repeat what's been said already about making sure you know what you're getting into with a big dog as your presence on here alone suggests your doing the research first so well done! ;)

Personally if I were you, I'd go for the GSD (not a show standard one with a sloped back though). Don't get me wrong, I love sibes but in your case I just think a GSD would be better suited for a few reasons:

1. I personally feel that a GSD would be slightly easier to train and more companionable than a sibe
    2. Sibe's have an overwhelming urge to run off so if you let it loose in the countryside (i took your post to mean by lots of land that your in the country?), don't expect it to come back until it wants to. Obviously if there's livestock around you'll have to be very very careful regardless of what breed you get but I do think you'd have better luck with recall training on a GSD (that's if you let it off in a secluded area (see below on the control of dogs act).
    3. Also if you are in the country, GSD's are great at alerting you if there's anyone nosing around that shouldnt be :)

As you said, you have the time to put into your dog and I think this is far more important than "experience" with a large breed. If you've done your research, are confident with your choice of breed and your abilities to train the dog consistantly then you shouldnt have any worries. I have an akita, supposedly one of the hardest dogs to "train" and had no experience with such a large dog before and didn't have any trouble because I put the time and effort in.

Any dog can be troublesome or a handful but this is nearly always down to the owners doing something wrong when training.

One thing I will say though is that GSD's are on the restricted breeds list under the Control of Dogs act. That means they must be muzzled when in public, always kept on a leash and be under control of someone over 16 years of age. This sounds like a bummer but in my experience, it's not rigourously enforced and you won't have any bother unless you do something stupid like let the GSD roam the lands uncontroled, so it shouldnt put you off getting a GSD.

Sorry for the long post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Most people here have German Shepards so i'll give the Sib Husky side of it, I have one.
    First off , they are not really a starter dog in general, but he was my first dog I felt comfortable getting one as I did alot of research into the breed before hand and I'm glad I did. Some advantages and disadvantages of owning a Husky are..

Pros:
    Very friendly
    Very active
    Playfull and always willing
    Not aggresive (If brought up right)
    Great companian

Cons:
    Needs lots of exercise
    Pups will have some stomach problems early on (As most pups do)
    Can be destructive if left alone and bored
    Can be a challenge to train

I say challenge to train instead of what most say about being stubburn because with time and patience they can be very well trained. Mine is is very intelligent, once he gets a trick once, thats it he knows it. Busker is turning 1 this month and he's learned sit, stay , come , left paw , right paw, lie down, roll over , jump , crawl and even how to play football with me and pass the ball with his paw...so definatly very smart breed you just have to put the time in and you will get their loyalty and love back in bucket loads. They need a large bag garden and if you aren't there during the day another dog is a must.

I have never had a german shepperd so i'll leave the advise above on that, but they are also a lovely breed, very smart and loyal. One big differance is a german sheppard is a very efficent guard dog, a husky does not have that instinct he will more than likely like an intruder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

work colleague of mine was in the CSPCA earlier in the week - apparantly the have two GSD's in there at the moment, she said one was twice the size of mine (I have a 4 year old bitch, 80lbs) the colleague actuall groomed Roxy sunday so i'm half tempted to go in just to see, but then how do i walk out without

a) taking both of them (if still there)
    b) having a little "discussion" with the staff in there about Roxy, as they let me take her from them in August 5 weeks pregnant (pups arrived in Sept - sadly it seems the last two will be going to new homes this weekend - i'm gutted! 3 month old last night)

FYI I am not recommending you take a dog from the CSPCA due to the problems i encountered with them which i have documented on this forum many a time - the regulars must fall asleep when i mention it :D

i would recommend these guys http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/adoption.html take a look at Molly and Maddie or Flip and Frankie if after a younger dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Paul91 - whilst I understand your issue with the CSPCA - the OP has not asked for an account of your situation, they've asked which of the two dogs would people recommend to get or could people recommend another dog even.

Having GSDs you could explain the pros and cons as others have done, which would be more helpful and more on topic.

Get a sibe husky if you want but be prepared to keep it on leash or in a secure area all the time you're not there but if you will be there, then no problem but you still need to keep it on leash. If you think that is cruel, then don't get one. I'm biased, they are one of my favorite dogs. They need to be kept on a leash due to their high prey drive and will to run run run. :) They are also not a one man dog so if you can't handle that, something else to think about.

Oakey coakey - sorry was just letting the OP know where there where some rescues GS's available

The GS I got is the most loving, stroke wanting, attentive dog i think i've had - but she pulls like a train on the lead - luckily i have enough weight to slow her down.

My Mum and Sister came over from the UK (seperate from each other) they where both scared of GS's cos of the reputation they get, now barring in mind Roxy's pups where al running around, both my Sister and Mother found Roxy to be extremely affectionate and both then and there changed their opinions on GS's to be a heck of a lot more favourable, in fact they preferred her to be near them then my Boxer/lab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

First off, well done for coming on and asking for advice. I don't really know much about GSDs, I have a GSD/husky cross myself but I mainly have sibes.

Siberian huskies aren't large dogs, people tend to think they are, but they are actually medium sized, much smaller than a GSD.

I wouldn't recommend a sibe as a first dog, only because I think they're pretty unique and not very 'doggy':D However, if you wanted to go the rescue route, maybe an older, more placid dog (I have a few that might suit!)
    Ado86 wrote: »
    To be honest, I dont think either of those breeds would be suitable, they require stern handling and this requires experience. Maybe something like a labrador or a golden retriever if you wanted a larger breed but with a placid good temperament.

I don't agree with that, they are stubborn and highly intelligent, they were bred to pull sleds and they had to have the capacity to think for themselves, and if they thought the musher behin them was leading them into danger, to ignore the commands and do what was right for them and the rest of the pack. So stubborn definitely, stern handling, I wouldn't say so. I have a large sibe who will do anything I ask of him, because he trusts me and I trust him. I tried the stern stuff with him, didn't really work, but now he is a different dog, lots of love, training and respect. He works in harness and has done some weight pulling, and he would work until he dropped if he thought thats what I wanted. However, because I also trust him, I would never do that to him.

Sorry, slight off track there. The thing about sibes that has been mentioned though is - they can never be let off the lead in an unenclosed space. Because of their intelligence and independence they may come back 99 times, the 100th time they'll decide they're running, and they will keep going. They can cover a lot of distance in a very short time. They are not good with small animals, they are very prey driven, so also not a good idea around livestock. Again, the history of the breed, working in harness during the winter, set free to fend for themselves in the summer, so they had to hunt for food.

If you have a garden or a run with fencing at least 6 foot high, and that they can't dig under, great. I hate radio fences, and I don't think they work with sibes anyway. If they want to get somewhere, they will take the pain of an electric shock. But then they aren't stupid, they won't take the same pain to come back into their garden:D

I have 2 gsd/husky crosses here in rescue, a lovely boy of about 2 and a young girl just turned 1, maybe the best of both worlds??

If you want to get active with either breed, there are lots of activities you can do, agility etc (although again, probably not with the sibe, they can do the agility, but then may get a scent and disappear out of the ring). There are also a couple of clubs around the country now for dryland mushing etc, great fun. Scootering or bikejoring with one dog is great for both dog and owner. A tired dog is a happy dog.

Sorry for the essay, and best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I would recomend a Border Collie. The Border Collie is a medium sized dog , is easy to train , is very friendly and is a good watch dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'd say a German Shephard but I'm bias as I just love the breed, they are more steady and calmer than a Huskies IMO and need a slightly less strong handler. My aunt got her German Shephard from a German Shephard Rescue who match dogs with families, maybe as a new dog owner you could look into this and find the dog which suits you. If you decide to buy be v.picky about who and where you buy as they do suffer from their share of breed related illness ie. hip / elbows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

if your new to dogs, then definitely go for the german shepherd.

I have a 6 mth old siberian husky, and I walk / dog sit a german shepherd that I think of as my own dog so I know both breeds.

German shepherds are very loyal, huskies not as much
    GS, when trained, will walk well off leash, huskies have to be on leash at all times
    both breeds are intelligent, but german shepherds want to please you, while huskies want to please themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hkenn1

My 13 yr old would love a Huskey but from a bit of research and experiance i'd go with a mix breed.If your a first timer you want a dog that is easy to train but some intelligance pref.a collie or lab.Every dog is individual and it will come down to patience.I've a gorden setter x and when he was in his hay day had no end of energy and brain power.He's nearly 12 and we're about to adopt again because he has become depressed.A dog need stimulation like everybody else.So as long as your ready to cope with them doing their own thing then good luck and your on the right thread for help.Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭SuperMario

Hi guys thanks for all the advice.

This might be against the rules if so I'm sorry mods.

Could someone look at these adds and tell me, if so by pm which of these pups would be better, thanks in advance
    <snip>

SuperMario wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for all the advice.

This might be against the rules if so I'm sorry mods.

Could someone look at these adds and tell me, if so by pm which of these pups would be better, thanks in advance

<snip>

OK I'm no expert, but the donedeal looks like a show dog and the gumtree a working dog, if they are genuine (which I can't say if they are or are not) my personal choice (if i had that sort of money) would be the working one as I believe you get less health problems with them - look up hip dysplesia

also i'd look up the breeders with the IKC and make sure you see the mother at least and father if poss. the mother and father should have "hip scores" if IKC registered i believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Bermese mountain dogsbernese-mountain-dog-0023.jpg are placid
    and love out doors,

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Dmighty

I have both a husky and a gsd, both beautiful breeds and both my favorite. Huskies require alot of attention, they get bored easily and become destructive, you have to be very patient with this breed of dog, i would not recommend them to first time dog owners as there very stubborn and very hard to train. I love my husky (mishka) to bits but it took a long time to train her so i would say they are for more experienced dog owners. I would recommend a gsd if they are the only breeds your interested in, as there very loyal, smart and easy to train. My gsd (solo) is one of the best dogs i ever had, very loyal and he took alot less time to train then my husky but they do require alot of attention. But once again both beautiful dogs. Maybe you should consider a border collie, as they are the smartest breed of dog or maybe a smaller breed as i would not really recommend a gsd or husky to any first time dog owner. But thats just my opinion, its up to you at the end of the day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask why you've got a short list of these two dogs? Siberian Huskie and German Shepard?

Is it because they look cool? Or are kinda macho dog? This is a genuine question. Like by the sounds of it, you're not looking for a particular breed based on function. You don't need a hunting dog, a guard dog or a working dog, you're looking for a pet? Am I correct? Someone to throw a ball with and a companion for long walks in the fields?

• Advertisement

Another reason I would suggest a Border Collie is because you will save yourself a few hundred euro in buying one. Take these puppies for instance <SNIP>Theyre 20 euro and the breed is a great breed. Theyre very loyal , theyre dead simple to train , theyre super affectionate and theyre great watch dogs. <SNIP> <- More Border Collies.

PS I hope those links are allowed.

I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask why you've got a short list of these two dogs? Siberian Huskie and German Shepard?

Is it because they look cool? Or are kinda macho dog? This is a genuine question. Like by the sounds of it, you're not looking for a particular breed based on function. You don't need a hunting dog, a guard dog or a working dog, you're looking for a pet? Am I correct? Someone to throw a ball with and a companion for long walks in the fields?

Not having a go at you Sid but personally I don't see the point in your question. The OP hasn't asked the usual ridiculous questions like "which is more intimidating?" or "Where can I buy a wolf because I want to look cool?", "should I buy a lion or a tiger?" etc etc.

And picking a breed based on function? I have an akita, I neither hunt bear, dog fight or live in beirut and need a massive guard dog. I also didn't get him for macho reasons. Like anyone else, I originally liked the look of the breed, I then did my research, as the OP is doing, and after careful deliberation, decided to get one. For example, I know greyhounds are fantastic pets, but I personally don't like the look of them so they were never on my list of potentials. Aesthetics are always the first thing people go for in dogs IMO. Some people leave it at that and get a dog they can't handle. Others, like the OP, try and find out all they can first to prevent that.

I don't think the OP has given any indication that they want a dog for any questionable reasons. They clearly just like these breeds and want to find out all they can about them before making the decision.

Like I said, I'm not having a go, I just thought your message was a bit harsh on the OP when all they were looking for was advice on these particular breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

Steve30x wrote: »
    I would recomend a Border Collie. The Border Collie is a medium sized dog , is easy to train , is very friendly and is a good watch dog.

I have to agree, I have alot of experience with collies. I think they are extremely clever making them very easy to train. They're very loyal and very protective.

Also they're great with kids, I have a collie/setter and an 8 month old baby. No matter how much my son pulls his hair, or tries to catch his tongue( his new favourite game) he just sits there and waits for me to move him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a reminder - links to ads are not allowed in this forum - please take time to read the charter - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

adser53 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you Sid

well that's my core point, picking dog breeds based on looks, just seems a bit shallow. suppose it's as good a reason as any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

it would be nice if the OP did come back online though and let us know what kind of dog experience he has, and if it has to be one of these two breeds, so we could give him more advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

votejohn wrote: »
    it would be nice if the OP did come back online though and let us know what kind of dog experience he has, and if it has to be one of these two breeds, so we could give him more advice!
    i think he did mention he had a few dogs in his time

well that's my core point, picking dog breeds based on looks, just seems a bit shallow. suppose it's as good a reason as any.

Im not saying to pick a breed solely on how it looks,as i completely 100% disagree and condemn that! BUT.... how a dog looks is what initially draws someone to a breed. Then, after researching the breed, you know if its a suitable breed for you.
    The problem is too many people buy dogs like sibes, cos theyre fabulous looking dogs, without researching them and finding out theyre so active and prey driven. They arent able for the dog and then get rid of it. Its far too common.

star-pants wrote: »
    Just a reminder - links to ads are not allowed in this forum - please take time to read the charter - thanks.

Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't think any one should be having a go at the OP for wanting one of these dogs, a dog is a life time commitment, you should obviously have one you really want despite the reason you want it, and he seems to have done his research, thought about it and even asked for advice here he hasn't shown any signs of wanting them for the wrong reasons.

Advertisement