Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Slang and sayings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    We beeged the gaff then shkinned out cos da shades war leggin and I'd ta feek me beaure too.

With compliments, from deepest darkest Galway.

Tuam ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Hahah :D love this:
    I'd bleedin' lash her outta it - Shows one's eagerness to have sexual relations with a young upstanding female.

and as for well? it's definitely not as formal/meaningful as: Hello, pleasure to met you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i thought jaffa was norn iron slang for a protestant, not a 'red haired person with an attitude'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

galwayrush wrote: »
    Tuam ?
    They've yet to evolve beyond monosyllabic proto-languages out that way, never mind slang.

I keed, anyone from Tuam, I keed because I love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Your goolies are your balls ya muppeh'! ;)
    I think my parents didn't get that memo. We grew up having a goolies as in singular? i don't know what we called 'nuts', I think by the time they dropped we were probably too old to call them anything but 'nuts'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

recyclebin wrote: »
    quare used instead of very. pronounced "kware"
    eg 1 that was quare funny
    eg 2 that exam was quare hard

Are you talking about people from Tipperary using the word "Fair".
    eg 1 that was quare fair funny
    eg 2 that exam was quare fair hard

Its an abbreviation of the world fairly. A stupid abbreviation IMO. But i cant say much. Im from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Whoever wrote the term for hippy in the belfast section is clearly insulted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

We beeged the gaff then shkinned out cos da shades war leggin and I'd ta feek me beaure too.

With compliments, from deepest darkest Galway.

I think that translates as "We robbed the house and legged it out of there because the guards were coming and i had to have sex with my girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

i thought jaffa was norn iron slang for a protestant, not a 'red haired person with an attitude'

Jaffa can also be used for an infertile gentleman.

• Advertisement

I think that translates as "We robbed the house and legged it out of there because the guards were coming and i had to have sex with my girlfriend.
    Correct, easy knowing you're from Sligo!

No, no, I love Sligo too. Some very beautiful women out there.

I say fair meaning very etc. sounds normal to me.

and quare is what others say. though quare is also what some country folk (maybe just Tippers) say for odd - that lad is awful quare. though I don't know if that version would actually be 'queer' and it's taken on the 'odd' meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Hogzy wrote: »
    Are you talking about people from Tipperary using the word "Fair".
    Actually I come from Tipperary, and I usually hear 'quare' and 'fair' being used interchangeably to mean 'very', 'quite'.

'Right' is also used in that context, as in I was right drunk, I'm right tired, etc. But that may not be just an Irish thing?

Often you would put by (is it boy?) at the end as well.

'It's quare cold out now, by'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Correct, easy knowing you're from Sligo!

No, no, I love Sligo too. Some very beautiful women out there.

Its traveler speak that i used to live close enough to a halting site
    Beeggeee iss chazz=Rob his phone in traveler kant language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

later10 wrote: »
    Actually I come from Tipperary, and I usually hear 'quare' and 'fair' being used interchangeably to mean 'very', 'quite'.

'Right' is also used in that context, as in I was right drunk, I'm right tired, etc. But that may not be just an Irish thing?

I have a cousin from Tip that answers the phone by saying "Well". That f*ckin grind my gears!!!!

I have a cousin from Tip that answers the phone by saying "Well". That f*ckin grind my gears!!!!

we pass people in the street, one says well, the other goes well.

:D

Its traveler speak that i used to live close enough to a halting site
    Beeggeee iss chazz=Rob his phone in traveler kant language
    Where do you think the travellers learned it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

hunter164 wrote: »
    Or snatch or growler

Pretty certain they are english slang.

Goothar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

McChubbin wrote: »
    It wasn't widely used in my family-we tend to say 'fanny', 'tuppence' or "cookie" for some bizarre reason.
    Back on topic, my grandmother's quite fond of saying "Ye whore's mouth!", though she prounces 'Whore' as "Hoo-err".

Good times!

That could be a mishearing of Whore's melt.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whoores%20melt

A few from my days growing up on the Cavan Fermanagh border.

You're only a clem, a clem being a wooden peg which was clamped above the testicles of a calf after the scrotum had been cut open allowing to testicles to wither away. This is how castration was done in the old days.

You're only a knuck, knuck being derived from eunuch I suppose.

Both of those meant contemptible person. It's a holy parable meaning an unusual story or happening. And the word claven explained here.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/FERMANAGH-GOLD/2011-05/1305069841

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

Ate'n tackie = limerick slang for I was running very quickly in my runners .

• Advertisement

I know a few people in Kerry who do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

baz2009 wrote: »
    I love the word gee.:)
    I hate it. The word I mean. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

badger glue.

in a sentance : " she got badger glue all over me last night "

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

It's brilliant when you see the 'Glee' ads on telly where it just says 'G ee' and then a finger gets shoved into the gee to make an L!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

later10 wrote: »

My mum's from Co. Down and also uses “quare” in a similar way, usually in the phrase “We had a quare laugh” when telling of an amusing incident.

On the subject of the word 'gee', when I was very young I read the word 'vagina' in a book before I'd ever heard it, and thought it was pronounced 'va-geena' for ages. So when a few years later I heard the word 'gee' I immediately knew what it meant!
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the origin of the word 'gee'? Maybe it was mispronounced by Irish people originally, thus leading to 'gee' being short for 'va-geena'?

i was recently informed that it's not pronounced gee as in 'g' but gee as in you would say gay ...but eee

Tope wrote: »
    On the subject of the word 'gee', when I was very young I read the word 'vagina' in a book before I'd ever heard it, and thought it was pronounced 'va-geena' for ages. So when a few years later I heard the word 'gee' I immediately knew what it meant!
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the origin of the word 'gee'? Maybe it was mispronounced by Irish people originally, thus leading to 'gee' being short for 'va-geena'?

Could be. I thought the same when I saw the word 'vagina' in the Tree of Knowledge encyclopaedia as a child.

i was recently informed that it's not pronounced gee as in 'g' but gee as in you would say gay ...but eee

Yep. Hard G rather than soft.

but that just sounds retarded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Oh yes, hard 'g' all the way. Otherwise it'd be like the gee in "Gee whizz!". Which would of course be ridiculous.

Advertisement