Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Removals/ Man with van. HELP

Options
  • 08-01-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get some furniture removed from Mungret to the city. There is not a lot a of stuff to be moved (should take one run in a big van) I will also be there to help load and onload the furniture but would need some help from the driver. Need to get this done ASAP so if anyone has any info that could help me out please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi there,
    I run www.VanTasks.ie but I'm only based in Dublin at present so the cost for a small move within Limerick would be too high due to travel costs and time to get from Dublin to Limerick. However, I just wanted to advise you to keep your costs low, you should ensure everything is packed well, in stackable boxes and ready to go. For furniture items, you can protect them with blankets/bubble warp and to keep chests of drawers closed (so the doors don't open while in transite, simply wrap bubble wrap tightly around them and tape over. If you're moving a fridge or freezer, allow time for it to thaw and get rid of any excess water, it's best to leave it standing for about 12 hours once in the new location before plugging it in. This allows the gasses to settle. Plasma TV's are also advised to be left stand for at least one hour before being plugged in. Ensure the likes of washing machines, dishwashers etc are unplugged and unplumbed with any remaining water gotten rid of. Ensure any boxes you use aren't too heavy and it's always best to have them the size so one person can handle a box alone. Again, I always suggest to customers to just ask at their local supermarket for any spare boxes as they are usually more than happy to get rid of them. Get closed boxes where possible and tape the bottom and top so the bottom doesn't fall through and other items don't push in the top when stacked on top. Clothes can be packed in bags, these are good for filling gaps and compacting the contents of the van to minimise movement in transit. If possible, use boxes of the same size, about 50cm square is good as this will make packing easier.

I don't know of any reputable companies based in Limerick but you may find something in local classifieds. Do be aware though that the vast majority of these classifieds will be operations without valid insurance for this work so you'd be taking a risk using them.

Best of luck with the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Thanks for the info and tips, there is not a lot of stuff to be moved, I think it's a 3 pice, a fridge, and a washing machine, there might be a few other bits and bobs but nothing huge, It would only take one run useing a Transit Van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Have you looked into renting a Van and driving yourself?

- Ring every Company listed in Golden Pages and haggle - might work out ok.....

Raiser wrote: »
    Have you looked into renting a Van and driving yourself?

- Ring every Company listed in Golden Pages and haggle - might work out ok.....

That won't work out for uus so we need a driver and van, but thanks for the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, a 3 piece (3 seater sofa and two armchairs), fridge and washing machine should definitely fit in a long wheel base, high roof Ford Transit with plenty of room for other things too.

As Raiser said, renting a van is indeed an option, but it's far better if you can get a "Man with a van". I've had people ring me up thinking I'm a rental company looking to rent just the van and have booked them in for a move a few minutes after explaining that they can get a van and driver/furniture remover for, in most cases, less than the cost of renting a van for the day.

If you rent a van you've to deal with going to the rental depot to pick it up and getting back from the depot, you have to get used to the extra length and height of a van very quickly and if you scratch it (like I did no more than 10 minutes after buying my first ever van, the whole back wheel arch off a low wall on a tight corner :pac:), you'll have to shell out quite a lot. You'll also have to deal with insurance as even if you have a private car policy, many will not cover the driving of commercial vehicles and most rental companies will charge extra for this cover. If you get a good van and driver, they should have things likes straps, blankets, hand trucks etc to assist with the move, if you get a van from a rental company, it will be empty. You'll also have to organise getting a friend or somebody to help and it's a lot nicer to know that after a move, you don't have to rush to drop back the van before they charge for another day, you can just stay in and unpack and take your time.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Yeah, a 3 piece (3 seater sofa and two armchairs), fridge and washing machine should definitely fit in a long wheel base, high roof Ford Transit with plenty of room for other things too.

As Raiser said, renting a van is indeed an option, but it's far better if you can get a "Man with a van". I've had people ring me up thinking I'm a rental company looking to rent just the van and have booked them in for a move a few minutes after explaining that they can get a van and driver/furniture remover for, in most cases, less than the cost of renting a van for the day.

If you rent a van you've to deal with going to the rental depot to pick it up and getting back from the depot, you have to get used to the extra length and height of a van very quickly and if you scratch it (like I did no more than 10 minutes after buying my first ever van, the whole back wheel arch off a low wall on a tight corner :pac:), you'll have to shell out quite a lot. You'll also have to deal with insurance as even if you have a private car policy, many will not cover the driving of commercial vehicles and most rental companies will charge extra for this cover. If you get a good van and driver, they should have things likes straps, blankets, hand trucks etc to assist with the move, if you get a van from a rental company, it will be empty. You'll also have to organise getting a friend or somebody to help and it's a lot nicer to know that after a move, you don't have to rush to drop back the van before they charge for another day, you can just stay in and unpack and take your time.

My insurance will not cover commercial vehicles so that idea is gone out the window, all I need is a transit owner/driver for one hour tops! There will be two other people there to load and unload and it's only one run, never knew it would be this hard to find a van and driver for an hours work (lol) I'm still on the look out, thanks for the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Luimneachbhoy

try Tony Hayes wESTBURY AT 087 2930745 very obliging and good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

I'm looking to get some furniture removed from Mungret to the city. There is not a lot a of stuff to be moved (should take one run in a big van) I will also be there to help load and onload the furniture but would need some help from the driver. Need to get this done ASAP so if anyone has any info that could help me out please let me know.

Thanks.

try careline in parteen

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EZeeBOS

Have you got sorted?

ManAndVan.ie cover Limerick I think and they have all the goods in Transit insurance too.

(I did their website, but not connected to them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I am in a similar situation but need to move from Limerick to Dublin. Not too much to move:

a neat 2 seater couch
    Under counter freezer
    BBQ!!!
    Hoover
    A few lamps
    Small kitchen stuff
    42" TV
    Clothes
    Ben linen

A small van should do it. Anyone know of a man with a van who would do a Limerick-Dublin trip or would I be better of renting one for two days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 onemanandhisvan

Maybe I can help you out. When are you looking to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EZeeBOS

Try Man with Van Limerick - Excellent Rates direct to Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement