Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Escaped kitty on heat

Options
  • 08-01-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

So annoyed because kitty is booked in for her operation to be neutered on Monday 9am (This was the soonest we could get after xmas, crazy I know). Her first heat cycle was over, and she started another one very soon after; vet didn't want to take her until the first spell was over. We have been BRILLIANT in not letting her out the house for those times, but this morning some clown of a person who comes to the house every morning and knows the cat drill left the sliding door open (grrr) and kitty escaped, for two minutes, was out of eye-sight, and then came back inside....no meowing or writhing like she has been doing..her spell is almost over, but she was meowing before she got out...I reckon chances are she is preganant?

So annoyed as we were so close to her op date: what should we do now? We do not want kittens.

Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Doubt she got pregnant in 2 minutes, if she had mated you would have heard almighty howling.
    Don't worry the vet will still neuter her on Monday, there's no reason they wouldn't just because she got out for a moment.
    Usually the vet will neuter before they come into heat, 4-5 months but I know some cats come in very early. They also keep coming into heat about every 3 weeks I think.
    Don't worry, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The fact she is getting neutered monday I guess is a relief; there are two mangy looking tomcats around, but according to my mother she heard no howling! She was just shocked the kitty came back inside again after those two minutes (she has only ever been outside, supervised twice)..too cold? The bin men were around too which might have scared her..it was just all so quick and the fact she is no longer meowing has us concerned...thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The chances are highly unlikely if only outside for 2 minutes. The vet would still spay though regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Don't worry even if she does get pregnant the Vet will go ahead and spay her regardless so it won't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

yup - Vet will go ahead, when we got the GSD we where going to neuter her straight off, but vet told us to wait until she put some weight on, turns out she was 5 weeks at the time the vet saw her, asked him what he would have done if the op went ahead and said he would have called to ask if we wanted to go on with the op (removing the pups) or just stitch her back up - at a couple of days even if she is it won't matter to the Vet

• Advertisement
Advertisement