Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Limerick to Waterford

Options
  • 08-01-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

not sure if i should put this in limerick forum or waterford forum!!

would i be safe enough to drive to waterford tomorrow morning. was thinking of hitting the road around 8.30am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

not sure if i should put this in limerick forum or waterford forum!!

would i be safe enough to drive to waterford tomorrow morning. was thinking of hitting the road around 8.30am

If i was you i'd go tonight as the roads will have been used more and gritted more recently, if they dont grit them tonight. It also depends what kind of car you have, 4x4 no problem, front wheel drive you should be ok, rear wheel drive just dont bother. Some say a diesel is better aswell as theres more weight over the front wheels, due to diesel engines being heavier. Either way just go at a speed you're comfortable with and you'd be grand, if it takes all day its better than not getting there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was speaking to someone who is originally from Waterford, they were talking to family down there early in the week who said the SE is pretty bad with snow and ice especially around Waterford City.

Unless it is absolutely urgent I would defer the trip. The Tipperary town to Clonmel section of road is not the best in good weather, it is full of narror twists and bends plus alot of hills meaning it is bound to be covered in black ice or snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The N24 in the Cahir area got a mention on RTE this morning for being bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If i was you i'd go tonight as the roads will have been used more and gritted more recently, if they dont grit them tonight. It also depends what kind of car you have, 4x4 no problem, front wheel drive you should be ok, rear wheel drive just dont bother. Some say a diesel is better aswell as theres more weight over the front wheels, due to diesel engines being heavier. Either way just go at a speed you're comfortable with and you'd be grand, if it takes all day its better than not getting there at all

Diesel can also freeze so maybe not that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

drove down yesterday and got there for 1. roads were grand the whole way!!

came home today, left waterford about half 12. it had been snowing heavily all morning, it was fairly thick on the ground.

snowed all the way home but the roads seemed to be grand. took 3 hours up and down coz i took my time. all in all we were glad we decided to go :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement