Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber Prices

Options
  • 08-01-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I just want to get your opinions on a quote that I got for the plumbing of my new build, a 3050sqft 2 storey with 400sqft detached garaged.

I want to put in a pressurised system as follows:

Garage to contain water tank, 4.5 bar pump, oil condensing boiler and feed into a system link distribution manifold in the utility room of the house to distribute to a 3 zoned system (gr fl, 1st fl and water). 27 rads with TRVs through out. 30 tube solar panels on main roof to feed directly to 300l stainless tank in HP. The quote includes a full install from first fix to final sanitary ware installation.

Materials 10.5k + Labour 5.6k + Vat

Total 18.5k

To be fair to the plumber he has a mark-up on the materials but is happy for me to try and source the materials myself and will give me a full take-off for me to try and cut back on the materials cost.

But I'm more concerned with the labour rate which seems high. Can anyone quantify (men x days) how long this job should take? and what rates are plumbers on these days? (I'm based in Limerick).

I don't want to scrimp on such an important aspect of the build so I'd appreciate any input from people here, especially any plumbers!

Thanks.
    Clint

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The best way to answer this question is to get 3 more quotes, for the exact same spec, from 3 reputable Plumbers in the Limerick area. This is the only way to compare true prices, like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

RKQ wrote: »
    The best way to answer this question is to get 3 more quotes, for the exact same spec, from 3 reputable Plumbers in the Limerick area. This is the only way to compare true prices, like for like.

Thanks RKQ. I fully agree and am in the process of doing this. I guess I'm looking for some "general" direction on plumbing labour prices as opposed to looking for someone on here to figure out if my quote is good or bad. I gave the spec of the system to give enough info for people in the know to be able to assess my labour requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I almost thought that i had posted the thread. It is identical to mine in terms of house and garage and system. The only difference being very small. I have gone for 3 flat panels instead. That is it, the only difference.

I was originally quoted 19500 but with some cash it is now 18500. If you get any improvement just let me know. I am awaiting for my second quotation to come in.

Keep in touch as I would love to get this down to 16K

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrusty1973

I'm in Galway, building a 3000sqft 2 story + 600 Garage
    Plumber quote from guy that comes highly recommended @ 4k, labour only

I almost thought that i had posted the thread. It is identical to mine in terms of house and garage and system. The only difference being very small. I have gone for 3 flat panels instead. That is it, the only difference.

I was originally quoted 19500 but with some cash it is now 18500. If you get any improvement just let me know. I am awaiting for my second quotation to come in.

Keep in touch as I would love to get this down to 16K

Hi,
    My 2nd quote for this system has come in at 21k.
    Materials 12k + Labour 6.3k + VAT
    I need to talk through it with the plumber a soon as I've picked myself off of the floor:) as the system quoted is exactly the same, so maybe I wasn't doing as bad as I originally thought....
    The cynic in me wonders has the demand for plumbers over the last month given rise to higher rates but to be fair to the guy I'll reserve jugement until I've discussed the quote with him.
    Have you had any luck with other quotes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Got back my 3 quotes today - all from reputable local plumbers. 3100 sq ft storey and half.
    Underfloor downstairs and bathrooms upstairs - 10 zones.
    10 Aluminium Rads and 2 towel rails - 9 zones.
    2 x 30 Tube Solar Panels.
    HRV - 2 units, rigid ducting - 90% efficient.
    97% efficient Condenser Boiler.
    600L Heat Bank
    1000 Ltr Oil Tank & 60 Gallon Water Storage tank.
    All pipe work, 1st and 2nd fit etc - Sanitary ware supplied by me.

27,800 + VAT
    29,900 + VAT
    39,500 + VAT

Engineer checking it over but will be going with the cheapest all going well. Happy enough.

Hi Junior B,
    Did you get any breakdown of the costs? I'm really only interested in the labour element as the materials/system would be different.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Didn't get the labour breakdown Clint. Should be meeting Plumber one of the days and will try and get a figure off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ben18285cork

I got my quotes from different online services such as My-Job Ireland and Onlinetradesmen. This is very comfortable as you just describe your project once and receive many different quotes. Finally you can just pick the service provider you like. Saved myself a lot of money.

Advertisement