Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking the Plunge - 320i

• 08-01-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭

So I've finally more or less settled on a new car to buy after several changes of heart and car size. decided Legacy and exeo too big/crap among others.
    Looking at a 08 E92 320i M-sport, silver, cream leather and all the usual extras :)

Been down to look at it once already, it's spotless, sounds fine, no rust on the discs, FSH, low mileage etc
    Cartell reports check out and match what dealer has already told me.
    6 month delaer warrenty plus around a year left on the BMW (3yr?)

Hopefully will be able to test drive it tomorrow depending on what the snow and ice does, being RWD obviously sceptical about the slightest ice on the road.
    Only ever driven front or 4w drives.

So any advice on what to look for assuming its clear enough to drive it?

Only other question I have is that the dealer has put new tyres on it, not run flats. will this effect the warrenty?

Fingers crossed bye bye **** box Almera :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't think non-RFTs will affect warranty. BTW, if the car has a three year BMW warranty, it is an import - just in case that's an issue.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

3 yr warranty means it's an import, nothing wrong with that, but just so you are aware, cartell prob told you that.
    Get the service history off the garage, any bmw dealer can get it for you showing anything it's been in for. If they
    aren't bmw dealer ring bmw uk and ask for it.

non run flats should be fine, ride will be better but some dealers do say it negates the warranty, might be worth getting a bmw confirmation to save you hassle in the future.

Make sure you take it over some potholes etc, to see can you live with the ride.

Only other thing I'd say is a 320d would be much easier to sell on, but the 2.0 petrol is a grand engine too.

I have one of these with a bigger petrol engine, feel free to pm any qs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its not an import, just assumed it had 3yr BMW warranty, but obviously not if Irish. Not too worried about that as have the dealer warranty.

It not a BMW dealer btw. Service history is just the one scheduled service, no issues

Is there a spare tyre coming with it ? I am asking out of curiosity :)

Its not an import, just assumed it had 3yr BMW warranty, but obviously not if Irish. Not too worried about that as have the dealer warranty.

It not a BMW dealer btw. Service history is just the one scheduled service, no issues

If it's Irish, I'd expect the BMW warranty to be ending soon, unless it was bought late in the year. If it is ending soon, the dealer warranty becomes more of an issue - and I wouldn't be happy with a 6 month warranty on a 08 car.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »

I was just reading another thread and thought of that. Will check tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RoverJames wrote: »

i wouldnt say so, if the car is speced with RFT then you get no spare im afraid!
    If it's Irish, I'd expect the BMW warranty to be ending soon, unless it was bought late in the year. If it is ending soon, the dealer warranty becomes more of an issue - and I wouldn't be happy with a 6 month warranty on a 08 car.

why wouldnt you be happy with a 6 month warranty? dealer standard is 3 months so he is getting 3 months extra plus its still under BMW warranty up to whatever the ourchase date in 2008 was and because of that he can renew his warranty with a BMW main dealer when its up too.

i wouldnt worry about the RFT depending on the wheel tyre combo. i had non run flats on my E90 SE and my GF has RFT on her E90 MSport and i dont know what it is but the ride and comfort is twice as good on the MSport with RFT for some reason! both of us running 18" wheels!

kceire wrote: »
    i wouldnt say so, if the car is speced with RFT then you get no spare im afraid!

I'll see if he'll throw in a space saver anyway.
    why wouldnt you be happy with a 6 month warranty? dealer standard is 3 months so he is getting 3 months extra plus its still under BMW warranty up to whatever the ourchase date in 2008 was and because of that he can renew his warranty with a BMW main dealer when its up too.

i wouldnt worry about the RFT depending on the wheel tyre combo. i had non run flats on my E90 SE and my GF has RFT on her E90 MSport and i dont know what it is but the ride and comfort is twice as good on the MSport with RFT for some reason! both of us running 18" wheels!

I thought 6 was alright, will also look at extending the BMW warranty if reasonable.
    first sale date is March 08 so haave a few weeks to sort it out if nessicary

Space saver, jack and wheelbrace would be handy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it from a BMW main dealer? If so, surely they can throw in a years warranty?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Is it from a BMW main dealer? If so, surely they can throw in a years warranty?

No, independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd sooner an SE with 16" RFTs and sports seats myself, but i'm sure not everyone will agree. Another must-have for me would be automatic. They are a very nice car but they do need to be well-optioned, which is rare enough here.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd sooner an SE with 16" RFTs and sports seats myself, but i'm sure not everyone will agree. Another must-have for me would be automatic. They are a very nice car but they do need to be well-optioned, which is rare enough here.

I'd prefer the manual to be honest, more fun.

Blurb, some repeats
    Full M-Sport,
    Cream Sports Leather,
    Air Conditioning,
    Central Locking,
    CD Player,
    Full Service History,
    Electric Windows,
    ABS Brakes,
    Alarm,
    Alloy Wheels,
    Cruise Control,
    Electric Mirrors,
    Electric Seats,
    Fog Lamps,
    Immobiliser,
    Leather Upholstery,
    Power Steering,
    Full Leather,
    Sports Seats,
    Interior Wood Finish,
    Heated Seats,
    Rain Sensors,
    Light Sensors,
    Centre Armrest,
    Multi-function steering wheel,
    Climate Control,
    Metallic Paint,
    Multiple Air Bags,
    Side Impact Protection,
    Anti-Theft System,
    Parking Sensors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just double check it's the full M-Sport model and not just the Edition.

Edition was the run-out for the pre-facelift. Came with M-Sport Steering Wheel and gearknob, upgraded alloys and full leather. Alloy's weren't M-Sport as far as I remember.

As RoverJames said above, a spare isn't much use unless you have the wheel brace and jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

I picked up an E90 last week, haven't really been able to give it a proper run yet. Handles well for a RWD, but I left it at home yesterday ... the ESP / DTC is very good, but it will handle very differently to a FWD / 4WD in this weather. I don't think you'll get a proper test drive without a significant thaw.

I found the larger m-sport wheels on a 318i m-sport with RFTs gave a very harsh ride and were very prone to tramlining. I would normally prefer a harder setup, but this was too much. The smaller m-sport wheels on the one I went with in the end are much better IMO.

Bah, stupid feckin weather means I can't drive it today or basically even get out og the estate without making a mess of the newly cleaned car.

Looks like i'll be twilding my thumbs or going to the pub all day today instead :mad:

Yippee!

Just got this :D:D:D

No more Almera from Friday

102176.jpg
    102177.jpg

Crappy pics from online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well wear

best of luck man, looks great!
    any more pics?

Well wear - looks great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Just a note to read the manual especially regarding the use of DSC and DTC. If you are having problems in ice/snow press the DTC button for a second or so and DTC should show up on the dash. Supposedly this turns off stability control (which can be quick to cut the engine power to the wheels) but leaves on the traction control.
    I think!

Cool car.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

well wear cookie

best of luck man, looks great!
    any more pics?

I'll stick a few pics up over the weekend once i pick it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Congrats, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Very nice cookie. Best of luck with it.

Some more pics here:

Edit: Sorry, just realised you prob dont want it linked since you didnt link it yourself

congrats man, job 1 is to take that silly M badge off the back asap.

hairdryer and dental floss will do the job in a couple of mins..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

+1 on removing the M badge. Beautiful car. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Congrats, many miles of safe driving....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Boots2006 wrote: »
    Handles well for a RWD

:D

It's an M sport alright OP - the black trim around the glass gives it away.

Fuel injectors can go in the petrols, I had a 335 that had the problem, know two people with 320i coupes that it happened. Not suggesting they're not reliable apart from that, I have an E92 M3 nearly a year now and haven't had a single fault with it touch wood.

Also I have it on good authority (service manager in a BMW dealer) that the DSC unit can go in the E90+ series - it's about €3,000 so I'd get the extended warranty from BMW and forget about the independent dealer's 6 months (use it if/when you need it but the proper warranty will give you peace of mind).

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    :D

It's an M sport alright OP - the black trim around the glass gives it away.

The log book gives it away too ;)
    Though I suppose not too many ppl will see that

I'll prob take the badge off all right and look at the warranty too.

I'd get the extended warranty from BMW and forget about the independent dealer's 6 months (use it if/when you need it but the proper warranty will give you peace of mind).

Any idea how much ballpark for a year for that?
    Looked around their site for clue but need to ring and obviously I may not have all detail to hand currently, and not yet the registered owner till the weekend

copacetic wrote: »

But why? It's just a spec like any other. It's not as if it is trying to be something it's not as there is no model numbering after it.

EPM wrote: »
    But why? It's just a spec like any other. It's not as if it is trying to be something it's not as there is no model numbering after it.

The spec is Msport. The badge is a halfords //M badge. I've never seen a new msport E92 (or E90) with such badge. They don't come from the factory. Msport models have small, subtle badges on the wheels, on the steering wheel, on the gear knob and a 'bmw msport' on the door sill. Those who appreciate an msport can easily distinguish one by the wheels, the fake diffuser, or the front bumper. The halfords badge makes a classy car look tacky.

Any idea how much ballpark for a year for that?
    Looked around their site for clue but need to ring and obviously I may not have all detail to hand currently, and not yet the registered owner till the weekend

Cover type Excess Annual premium
    Comprehensive - €1,128.00
    Comprehensive €135 €970.00
    Comprehensive €335 €771.00
    Named - €919.00
    Named €135 €793.00
    Named €335 €634.00
    Driveline - €679.00
    Driveline €135 €590.00
    Driveline €335 €476.00

Smaller figures are the excess, the rows look ok until I submit the reply then they go arseways.

Those prices are for M cars so you will probably find yours will be cheaper.

Price has to be paid in full, direct debit not an option.

Here's what it covers depending on which policy you buy.

bmwwarranty.jpg

€1128 for comprehensive warranty (no excess and no limits on claims) on a 2+ year old M3 looks like a prudent deal to go for. That's a lot of peace of mind for the money :D

• Advertisement

Cover type Excess Annual premium
    Comprehensive - €1,128.00
    Comprehensive €135 €970.00
    Comprehensive €335 €771.00
    Named - €919.00
    Named €135 €793.00
    Named €335 €634.00
    Driveline - €679.00
    Driveline €135 €590.00
    Driveline €335 €476.00

Smaller figures are the excess, the rows look ok until I submit the reply then they go arseways.

Those prices are for M cars so you will probably find yours will be cheaper.

Price has to be paid in full, direct debit not an option.

Here's what it covers depending on which policy you buy.
    :eek:
    Just as well there a couple of months left, will need a paycheck or two to build up to cover that after all the recent excess :P

It looks good actually from a cover point of view, I must go down and talk to a garage soon enough.

robbie99 wrote: »
    The spec is Msport. The badge is a halfords //M badge. I've never seen a new msport E92 (or E90) with such badge. They don't come from the factory. Msport models have small, subtle badges on the wheels, on the steering wheel, on the gear knob and a 'bmw msport' on the door sill. Those who appreciate an msport can easily distinguish one by the wheels, the fake diffuser, or the front bumper. The halfords badge makes a classy car look tacky.

I might be wrong but I thought all BMW M Sport models came with a //M badge on the back from the factory unless the owner chose to delete them?!

I might be wrong but I thought all BMW M Sport models came with a //M badge on the back from the factory unless the owner chose to delete them?!

its still an invite for people to hate you one way or the other :pac:

:eek:
    Just as well there a couple of months left, will need a paycheck or two to build up to cover that after all the recent excess :P

It looks good actually from a cover point of view, I must go down and talk to a garage soon enough.

That's for a V8 4l M3! Surely for a 4 pot 2l 320 it would be lots cheaper?

unkel wrote: »
    €1128 for comprehensive warranty (no excess and no limits on claims) on a 2+ year old M3 looks like a prudent deal to go for. That's a lot of peace of mind for the money :D

Gearbox alone €4,000+ .... might go for the 300 quid excess as I'd gamble not much is going to go wrong in the short term (the car hasn't even 13,000kms on it).

Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread Cookie - ring them on 1850 940 200, give them your reg and they'll be able to sort a price straight away. You'll probably have to change the owner of the car with them anyway, the dealer may not have done it with them, I know Maxwell Motors didn't with mine.

• Advertisement

No, they definitely don't. Although I believe you can get some dealers to put them on for you. Robbie is bang on.

why?
    if its an M-Sport then whats the problem?
    if it came from the factory like that i'd leave it but is suppose its each to their own and all that ;)

its like pulling off the T-Spirit badge from an Avensis imo.

No, they definitely don't. Although I believe you can get some dealers to put them on for you. Robbie is bang on.

I dunno man, virtually every 5 series M Sport I see has the badge on the back anyway. Surely they can't all have just stuck them on?

I dunno man, virtually every 5 series M Sport I see has the badge on the back anyway. Surely they can't all have just stuck them on?

Me too. Can't remember if I ever saw an M Sport spec without one on the back

I've just done a search on bmw.co.uk for approved used cars.
    5 series saloon, year 2009, msport models only

9 cars returned matching search criteria.
    All 9 cars do not have //M badge.

e.g. http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_details/0,,1260_159980106__,00.html?currentCh=WBANX52090CZ99788

When configuring a new car, there's a "Model Designation Delete" option. That's for the "320i" bit. It amazes me too to see so many //M badges out there (the older the car, the more likely to have). How many "ES" or "SE" badges do you see? Most motorists don't know the differences between spec and anyone can slap an //M badge on their ES or SE model. I suppose if it makes them feel good then fine...

EDIT: I see now that my search was restricted to 'within 40 miles of Newry'. A UK wide search yields 75 matches. I won't bother to check the 75 but I'm pretty sure you won't find any of these ex-demos with //M badges.

I'd imagine myself and robbie have both seen 100s of msport E92s in our time and I've only seen a couple with M badges added on.

I've not seen as many E60s, but seldom see an M badge and usually if you do see one they've taken off the 520d to put one on. Which isn't factory.
    why?
    if its an M-Sport then whats the problem?
    if it came from the factory like that i'd leave it but is suppose its each to their own and all that ;)

its like pulling off the T-Spirit badge from an Avensis imo.

it's a personal thing I guess. They are m-sports, not m cars.
    M sports don't come from factory like that, adding them is only
    to try and make the car look something it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I saw an E60 530d M-Sport today with an M/// badge in the front right kidney grill..... now that's just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I don't see anything wrong with sticking a subtle 'M' badge on the boot lid as long as it has an M-tech body kit, maybe in place of the deleted model designation. Putting it on one of the kidney grilles or anywhere else would be over the top though.

robbie99 wrote: »
    I've just done a search on bmw.co.uk for approved used cars.
    5 series saloon, year 2009, msport models only

9 cars returned matching search criteria.
    All 9 cars do not have //M badge.

e.g. http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_details/0,,1260_159980106__,00.html?currentCh=WBANX52090CZ99788

When configuring a new car, there's a "Model Designation Delete" option. That's for the "320i" bit. It amazes me too to see so many //M badges out there (the older the car, the more likely to have). How many "ES" or "SE" badges do you see? Most motorists don't know the differences between spec and anyone can slap an //M badge on their ES or SE model. I suppose if it makes them feel good then fine...

EDIT: I see now that my search was restricted to 'within 40 miles of Newry'. A UK wide search yields 75 matches. I won't bother to check the 75 but I'm pretty sure you won't find any of these ex-demos with //M badges.

Y'know what? You're right. Official press photos of M Sport cars have no badge, and neither do Approved cars on the BMW Ireland site. There is a serious amount of them on the road though. BMW dealers must surely offer to add them or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It like pinning a picture of a mansion on the door of your caravan, or sticking a picture of someone elses big willy over your own less impressive wedding tackle. M badges are for M cars, anything else is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement