Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will the epl games be called off?

• 08-01-2010 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I cant imagine they will go ahead with this weather, what do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I cant imagine they will go ahead with this weather, what do ye think?
    Would think its more about access to the games. Roads will be treacherous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fulham / Pompey OFF

Liverpool have informed the FA that their match vs Spurs should be called off also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

apparently there is a pitch inspection at St. Andrews at 1pm. United are waiting til 1pm today before travelling to the game (assume waiting to hear how the pitch inspection goes). However, as bayviewclose says, I would imagine the main problem would be the access roads and areas around the stadium. The pitch would be fine I would think; I can't see why any pitch for premierleague sides should be unplayable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Roads around Birmingham are pretty decent at the moment, but its actually snowing now (it hasn't snowed since Tuesday) I would say it will be ok if they have the place well salted around the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What's the point in having a weekend if there's no football? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool v Spurs has been called OFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm going over at 1pm so it better be going ahead. I got this email from BCFC yesterday.
    Club officials are extremely confident Saturday’s home game against Manchester United (kick-off 5.30pm) will go ahead despite the recent inclement weather.

Discussions have taken place with the local authorities, the emergency services and the Premier League and there is nothing to prevent the match taking place at present.

The club’s undersoil heating system means there are no problems at all with the pitch.

Blues will continue to talk to the relevant authorities and monitor weather reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I was going to ask for links but its on the Fulham site that it is off and on the liverpool site that they have asked for it to be off.

Burnley stoke is in danger too.

Wigan Villa is on according to Wigan, but i'd say a lot of these could change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SSN saying that the Pool V Spurs match is in doubt not called off yet

Fulham have no under soil heating and thats why it has been called off

• Advertisement

Fulham have no under soil heating and thats why it has been called off

isn't it a requirement to have under soil heating at PL grounds - was it Fulham who got in trouble with the FA a year or two back over this?

Liverpool have got Police advice to call off the match due to safety concerns Think they have to wait for the fa to call off the match because if they call it off themselves I think Spurs get a 3 point walkover :)

isn't it a requirement to have under soil heating at PL grounds - was it Fulham who got in trouble with the FA a year or two back over this?
    Depends on level of the snow fall. And i think there was a case at Kilkenny City a few years ago where they played a match on it after bad weather the days before the game and it never really recovered from it.
    With people having to make travel arrangements makes sense to call games off in this weather.

Depends on level of the snow fall. And i think there was a case at Kilkenny City a few years ago where they played a match on it after bad weather the days before the game and it never really recovered from it.
    With people having to make travel arrangements makes sense to call games off in this weather.
    If you play on a frosted/frozen pitch it actually kills the grass so I would Imagine it should be a nessescity(excuse the spelling Hard word:pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

After Saturday there is supposed to be ****loads of snow hitting Britain (and here), most Saturday games should survive but after that I reckon the 3 games Sunday and Monday could be big doubts.

If you play on a frosted/frozen pitch it actually kills the grass so I would Imagine it should be a necessity(excuse the spelling. Hard work:pac:)
    There you go. FYP ;)

JPA wrote: »
    After Saturday there is supposed to be ****loads of snow hitting Britain (and here), most Saturday games should survive but after that I reckon the 3 games Sunday and Monday could be big doubts.
    Could they just move the fixtures to saturday? I suppose it's too short notice tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The main concern with the Fulham game was the safety of the fans. The ice has got pretty bad in the area.

But yeh, no under soil heating either.

Any news on the Sunderland home game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

This is going to make FF very interesting... Was thinking of captaining Tevez but they play on monday night, don't think that will go ahead. Apparently it was -17 degrees in eastland on Wed night:eek:

Sunderland could be off to according to examiner yesterday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5839784,00.html

Pretty up to date account of matches that are off here. Burnley v Stoke is now off too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Me thinks the pool might be running scared of spurs without johnson and masch !...safety reasons me ar$e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm leaving at 8 tonight, Hull seems to be ok though.

BERBA wrote: »
    Me thinks the pool might be running scared of spurs without johnson and masch !...safety reasons me ar$e.

What an embarrassing post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Give yourself a slap on behalf of the soccer forum

Sunderland game off now too

JPA wrote: »
    What an embarrassing post.

:confused:??? big chill pill needed for defensive pool supporters . Just an opinion , we all entitled to em !

:confused:??? big chill pill needed for defensive pool supporters . Just an opinion , we all entitled to em !

and we're entitled to ridicule you for it.

I'm not a Liverpool supporter.

• Advertisement

Stop embarrassing yourself BERBA

Des wrote: »
    Stop embarrassing yourself BERBA

There you go again Des, asking the impossible!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Games in the north and south will most likely be postponed. But the midlands games seems to have survived unscathed. West Brom and Forest is on tonight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was going to defend you and say you were clearly joking but it it is really your 'opinion' then god help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Snow and sub-zero temperatures have caused major disruption to the sporting calendar in Britain and Ireland.

Saturday's Premier League games at Fulham, Burnley and Sunderland are off, while Liverpool have asked for Sunday's match with Tottenham to be postponed.
    Six Championship games are off, only three matches survive in Leagues One and Two while Celtic's Scottish Cup fixture is one of 10 called off.
    Leinster's Magners League clash against Glasgow on Friday has also gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My lovely bet gone ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

looking like this at the moment:

Burnley v Stoke City (OFF)

Fulham v Portsmouth (OFF)

Sunderland v Bolton (OFF)

Liverpool v Tottenham (L'pool looking to postpone)

==========================================

Hull City v Chelsea (ON)

Arsenal v Everton (ON)

Wigan v Aston Villa (ON)

Birmingham v Man Utd (ON)

West Ham v Wolves (ON)

Man City v Blackburn (Monday night, currently on)

looking like this at the moment:

Burnley v Stoke City (OFF)

Fulham v Portsmouth (OFF)

Sunderland v Bolton (OFF)

Liverpool v Tottenham (L'pool looking to postpone)

==========================================

Hull City v Chelsea (ON)

Arsenal v Everton (ON)

Wigan v Aston Villa (ON)

Birmingham v Man Utd (ON)

West Ham v Wolves (ON)

Man City v Blackburn (Monday night, currently on)
    Motty will have the sheepskin dry cleaned this weekend no doubt

noodler wrote: »
    I was going to defend you and say you were clearly joking but it it is really your 'opinion' then god help you.

give me a break , obviously fans safety comes first , people cant take a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

From the Hull website,

Game Set To Go Ahead
    Posted on: Fri 08 Jan 2010

Contrary to reports in some sections of the national media, tomorrow's home game against Chelsea is not in 'severe doubt'.

Efforts are continuing to clear snow from around the KC Stadium and the Club is confident the game will go ahead.

Please go ahead!

give me a break , obviously fans safety comes first , people cant take a joke!

no no, we can.

but sometimes people's opinions get made fun of a bit.

it's all part of the banter.

it's the internet, relax.

if you make a ridiculous statement, joke or not, it'll probably get pulled up on. i suggest you just roll with the punches.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

it is brilliant though, that the KC stadium isn't in doubt, but Anfield is severely so.

• Advertisement

ha.

there's only 10 games in the top 4 divisions still on.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha.

there's only 10 games in the top 4 divisions still on.
    All part of Rafa's master plan no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

All part of Rafa's master plan no doubt.

To be honest, it is kind of nice to give Torres and Gerrard another week to rest and also close the Johnson injury gap by another week. Not saying it is worth missing a weekend of football but just looking at the positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

on what grounds were pool requesting the match be called off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

kida wrote: »
    on what grounds were pool requesting the match be called off?

Pitch is playable, but police have asked for it to be called off due to the conditions surrounding the stadium not being safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is Soccer Saturday called off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

dobsdave wrote: »
    Pitch is playable, but police have asked for it to be called off due to the conditions surrounding the stadium not being safe.

odd - this far away - surely it could be worked on up until then

kida wrote: »
    odd - this far away - surely it could be worked on up until then
    I think there is ment to be a huge snowfall on saturday night welcome to the new ice age boys

Liverpool match deffo off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Liverpool match off

• Advertisement
Advertisement