Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/Celtic music in movies

Options
  • 08-01-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi, a colleague from Eastern Europe has asked me for a list of good Irish music used in movies. I don't think he is looking for traditional Irish music, but music such as Enyas May It Be or Sinead O'Connors (Thief of my heart). So basically anything Irish/Celtic and maybe atmospheric

Unfortunately I'm musically ignorant and I'm struggling to find decent stuff, I know there are a few threads here about movie soundtracks but I couldn't find a thread that focussing just on Irish stuff so I was hoping I could get some suggestions for songs - can anyone help?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Enya's Now We Are Free was famously used in Gladiator. I have a copy of it which I can 'lend' to you via email if you wish. Other than that, I'm really struggling to think of anything else... ... ...

Robert Burns wrote the Scottish 'new years' anthem Auld Lang Syne - which is kind of Celtic :o - and was used in the film Waterloo Bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG3afAIi6IQ

You might want to look at the soundtracks to Lord of the Rings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Thanks for the suggestions Kevster, it's not easy is it :)
    Thanks for the offer of the copy of Now We are free, it's ok though, all I need is a list of songs

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

the chieftains did a tune or two for Gangs of New York, as did finbar furey. Chieftains also supplied a couple of tune for Barry Lydon. What about falling from once.
    Breakfast on Pluto had a few Van Morrison tunes, Born on the 4th of July, As Good As It Gets, The Wonder boys also featured Van Morrison. Clannad featured in The last of the mohicans, Intermission and The Patriot Game.
    Imdb and google can flesh out some more detail for you
    Sinead O'Connor music also featured in Veronica Guerin, Vanilla Sky, Angela's Ashes, Micheal Collins and an irish movie called Rock-a-bye baby. You may also wish to have a look for a movie called Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

One of the characters in intermission is a big fan of celtic mysticism and clannad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

• Advertisement
Advertisement