Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 file association

• 08-01-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Friend of mine bought a new Dell laptop, its running windows 7. Some how he's managed to associate .exe files to adobe acrobat reader. Every executable in windows tries to open in acrobat.

Now i've searched online and a few people have had the same problem with Vista, and they've ran a registry fix which i tried, that didn't work. I've also read about what the values in the registry should be, had a look and they're all ok from what i can see.

I've also looked within acrobat to see if i can choose the files it associates itself with, but there's no options to do so.

Also tried system restore, no joy. I was going to reset the machine to its factory image because he'd only had it a day when this happened but when i go into the "Repair my computer" option in the F8 boot list, it just boots into windows :confused:

The only way i've found to fix it, is to uninstall acrobat but as soon as its reinstalled, its associated itself with executables again.

Next thought i'm having is to try a new profile?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Stating the obvious I know but you have tried: Control Panel => Default Programs => File Associate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hey Docmol,

Yea, i had a look there last night.. .exe isn't listed unfortunately.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

How in the hell has he managed to set the OS to ignore whether an application is executable and instead have all executables treated as if they were documents?

There's an element of "Don't go playing with things when you don't know what you're doing" to this post, I realise, but that's a pretty impressive sort of thing to achieve.

With Acrobat installed, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs and see if it's listed as the default program for any file types - if so, you should be able to change them.

You can also check if there's an association set in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations; you probably won't be able to change it, though, or at least not through there.

The usual "run a full virus scan and have a look at anything naughty or stupid he may have done while he's had it that could cause problems" advice applies too.

Of course, part of me is tempted to suggest forcing a time-consuming reinstall accompanied by an extended litany of the form of "You're not the IT messiah, you're clearly a very naughty boy, don't do it again", just on the basis that he will either a) learn not to do something quite so stupid again, or b) at least not harass you about it if he does do it again. I've come to the conclusion that option c (learning more about his operating system so that he can fix it himself the next time he b0rks something) is far too optimistic to actually happen.

Hey Fysh,

Yea, i know.. its confusing, i really don't understand how he did it. His girlfriend downloaded acrobat for him, and when either running the install, or opening the downloaded file through IE, somehow associated it with executables..

From what i've gathered through google, there's a few windows 7 people who have managed to do it also, none of which have succeeded in fixing it.

As for your sugestion, in the default programs list, acrobat isn't listed.

I'd like to do a factory image restore, any idea why when i hit "Repair my computer" in the F8 boot screen it just loads into windows normally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

you need to catch it before you get to that option, you're not doing a repair but a reinstall. the factory image is probably on a hidden partition, and you need to boot from that partition. you might have to make that partition visible before you can boot from it (admin tools=>computer manager =>storage=>local disc) i hope that makes sense : )
    Or better still is there a dvd lying around somewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Or you could uninstall Acrobat Reader and replace it with something like Foxit instead. Assuming executables work fine when acrobat is uninstalled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/71434/jsi-tip-0108---manage-file-associations-from-the-command-line.html

Two commands, ASSOC and FTYPE, allow you to manage file associations from a command prompt (or in a batch file).

Typing ASSOC, without parameters, displays the currently defined extensions. Type Assoc .wav to display the .wav file association. Typing assoc .wav= will delete the .wav association.

Typing FTYPE without options displays the file types that have defined open command strings. Ftype SoundRec will display the open command string for the file type SoundRec. Typing ftype SoundRec= will delete the open command string.

To define a new association for .log files which you want to open with notepad:

assoc .log=LogFile
    ftype LogFile=%Systemroot%\System32\notepad.exe %1

For a complete explanation, type ftype /? at a command prompt.

===================================

IIRC tweakui used to fix problems like this on earlier versions

back with more info laer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you want to do a factory image reinstall you need to catch it right as you boot - when you're prompted to enter the BIOS setup by hitting DEL or F2 you should also have an option to hit another key like F12 to choose what to boot from. If you've got a recovery partition, that should be in the list.

That said, some helpful manufacturers have decided that actually you should have to hold down several keys at the same time (possibly while saying 3 hail marys backwards and wearing only black) to boot into the recovery partition, so make yer man check his documentation...

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/71434/jsi-tip-0108---manage-file-associations-from-the-command-line.html

Two commands, ASSOC and FTYPE, allow you to manage file associations from a command prompt (or in a batch file).

Typing ASSOC, without parameters, displays the currently defined extensions. Type Assoc .wav to display the .wav file association. Typing assoc .wav= will delete the .wav association.

Typing FTYPE without options displays the file types that have defined open command strings. Ftype SoundRec will display the open command string for the file type SoundRec. Typing ftype SoundRec= will delete the open command string.

To define a new association for .log files which you want to open with notepad:

assoc .log=LogFile
    ftype LogFile=%Systemroot%\System32\notepad.exe %1

For a complete explanation, type ftype /? at a command prompt.

===================================

IIRC tweakui used to fix problems like this on earlier versions

back with more info laer

This is where its confusing, the association for .exe is correct. the assoc is exefile, the ftype for that is "%1" %* which is what its supposed to be.

As for the recovery partition, its not listed. I suspect the factory image software, or image is corrupt so i think i'll just get the oem cds that came with the laptop and do the factory image from those.

Thanks for your help anyway lads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

System Restore is worth a try :)

double check that it's .exe having the problem and not links .lnk

• Advertisement

double check that it's .exe having the problem and not links .lnk

Oh i feel like a right prat! :)

Cheers Capt'n, was .lnk not .exe (facepalm), was able to sort it with a vista regfix

Cheers!

Advertisement