Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured blackbird??

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    Our 6 month old cat brought in a blackbird last night, we have him in a cat box on a wolly jumper with water, bread and oil and raisins. We have the heater on in the room and a dark throw over the box. His leg seems to be damaged, I'm not sure if it's broken he can't hop on it, but otherwise he's quite alert and feisty. Does anyone know what we should do? We can't leave him out in this weather! My dad doesn't think a vet would put a splint on his leg for us, can you do it yourself? Is there an animal welafre group for looking after injured wild animals in the south (we're in north cork)?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

http://www.cottagerescue.ie/wildlife.html

The critical thing is it will need an antibiotic injection asap. The majority of birds that survive a cat attack seem to be OK & then die later due to the delayed onset of infection. Also fluid is important as they dehydrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi Padi, thanks for the link, I'm afraid the poor little thing died this afternoon. Such a pity I thought seeing as he survived the initial shock he had a chance of pulling through. Ah well he died warm and as comfortable as he could have been all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Unfortunately they go into deep shock & infection can set in very quickly. I used to help out at a Wildlife Hospital in the UK. We would get a call about a bird & tell the person to bring it in. Often we would open the box to find a dead bird.

Well done for trying & caring.

Advertisement