Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimated Electricity/Gas/Energy Bills Due To Bad Weather

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

rameire wrote: »
    current reading should have an E beside the meter report if it is an estimate i think.

no it has an A beside it so it must be actual readings

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ESB say what the letters stand for on their bills i.e. "E" for estimated, "C" for corrected etc

I'd be highly surpised if Flogas don't say it somewhere on the bill (check the back also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

For the first time ever (in 15years) ESB is a small over estimate, about 25 euro over on a 200 euro bill. Thats fine by me and far better than the usual 30-40 euro under estimate. So maybe ESB have factored in the bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

dudara wrote: »
    ESB say what the letters stand for on their bills i.e. "E" for estimated, "C" for corrected etc

I'd be highly surpised if Flogas don't say it somewhere on the bill (check the back also).

ESB:

E: Estimated
    C: Customer Reading (i.e. submitted by the customer)
    If there is no letter after the reading it was read by the meter reader.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

dudara wrote: »

It's actual reading - can my post be moved to a more relevant thread?
    I wasn't sure where to post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I got my BordGas Electricity bill yesterday. It was based on an estimated reading and to my surprise it was only €20 out when I checked the meter reading myself and calculated how much the excess would cost. Hopefully you'll all be so fortunate and won't get nasty surprises either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tylerJ

Maybe it's not the answer to the first question, but still it concerns the topic - I've just come across a blog post with advice on how to reduce your energy bills. http://www.borrowfromnone.com/2010/02/guest-post-reduce-your-energy-bills-effortlesslsy/ Hope you will find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

tylerJ wrote: »
    Maybe it's not the answer to the first question, but still it concerns the topic - I've just come across a blog post with advice on how to reduce your energy bills. http://www.borrowfromnone.com/2010/02/guest-post-reduce-your-energy-bills-effortlesslsy/ Hope you will find it useful.

There's some good tips there.
    However, the biggest reduction can be made by changing to lower energy lightbulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Heroditas wrote: »
    However, the biggest reduction can be made by changing to lower energy lightbulbs.

nah, you won't convince me. When you need 3 times as many light bulbs to get the same amount of light and they need replacing as often or more often than the bulbs they replace I don't see any saving in cost. Plus the quality of light they emit is enough to make you depressed so add in the cost of a vist to the docs and a few packs of valium.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

I replaced all of the bulbs in our house last summer after a winter of esb bills which came to about €200 per month - we have electric heating & cooking. I also had them correct their estimates as we get only one or two readings a year. Going into winter the readings etc were fine, we had an estimated reading in December and a bill for €274. I thought that this should be correct as the price of electricity has reduced and the low energy light bulbs should contribute..

I got the new bill today - €850, which means the esb for the full winter was over €1100.00. this is for heating, lighting & cooking a 5 roomed cottage. Granted there is no fireplace this year, but ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I replaced all of the bulbs in our house last summer after a winter of esb bills which came to about €200 per month - we have electric heating & cooking. I also had them correct their estimates as we get only one or two readings a year. Going into winter the readings etc were fine, we had an estimated reading in December and a bill for €274. I thought that this should be correct as the price of electricity has reduced and the low energy light bulbs should contribute..

I got the new bill today - €850, which means the esb for the full winter was over €1100.00. this is for heating, lighting & cooking a 5 roomed cottage. Granted there is no fireplace this year, but ....

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bulloney! Lights are actually one of the lesser causes of high bills. Cooking, space heating, water heating, tumble drying etc. do the damage. It's down to load and 100W is not high load. Of course we can save by using low enery bulbs but wrong to say it's can be the biggest reduction.
    Personally, I can't get good light from CFLs and the low enery bulbs do not last anything like as long as they claim. Been there, tried them and gave up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post unstickied.

dudara

Advertisement