Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Boots

Options
  • 08-01-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just wondering where I could get a cheap & cheerful pair of mens boots for this weather. Just for walking the dogs in the local park & short journeys during this snowy period.

Once they're warm & waterproof that will do for me!

I saw these in the Great Outdoors.

Or does anyone know if these would work, worn inside my ordinary boots?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cheap socks over your shoes will do short term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

cheap socks? fairly sure they're not waterproof...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I know some people who double up on socks and wear wellies, and swear by them.
    Warm, waterproof, cheap....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Any half decent hiking boots will do the job. They should all be waterproof. Do you really want to spend money on them if you'll only use them for another week though? The guys above are spot on about socks and/or wellies.

cheap socks over your shoes will do short term

Still fairly sure that they still won't be waterproof even if worn over my shoes. Wouldn't that also lead to a loss of grip on the sole of the shoe?
    Tristram wrote: »
    Any half decent hiking boots will do the job. They should all be waterproof. Do you really want to spend money on them if you'll only use them for another week though? The guys above are spot on about socks and/or wellies.

That's why I said cheap & cheerful! Something like that is always handy to hold on to as they can then be dug out in the future for any similar conditions. The O/H got a great pair of boots in New York a few years ago when we were there for next to nothing. She only wore them on that holiday as it was freezing at the time. She was then able to dig them out from the back of the wardrobe this week. They're waterproof, very warm & have good grip. Perfect to have a pair to hold on to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

True enough. Go get 'em so!

Tristram wrote: »
    True enough. Go get 'em so!

I will.... that's why I'm asking for suggestions!

Still fairly sure that they still won't be waterproof even if worn over my shoes. Wouldn't that also lead to a loss of grip on the sole of the shoe?

Cheap was of getting good grip on snow and ice. Rather than buying a pair of boot that you'll probably never use again is all.

Unless you're walking in fairly deep un-compacted snow waterproof is not an issue.

Cheap was of getting good grip on snow and ice. Rather than buying a pair of boot that you'll probably never use again is all.

Unless you're walking in fairly deep un-compacted snow waterproof is not an issue.

Cheers, for the most part I won't be walking in deep un-compacted snow.... but we took the mutts out to the local park for a run around the last couple of nights and had great fun. The snow in there can be deep enough - (ie. covers your foot) and my toes were cold & wet when I got my boot off last night.

Cheers, for the most part I won't be walking in deep un-compacted snow.... but we took the mutts out to the local park for a run around the last couple of nights and had great fun. The snow in there can be deep enough - (ie. covers your foot) and my toes were cold & wet when I got my boot off last night.

fair enough. i'd say wellies are the cheapest easy solution for the short term then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

:D similar thread in fashion...people recommending Lidl and Aldi they sell cheap snow boots periodically, you could check them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

surprised noone mentioned TK maxx, they always have decent snow boots like Solomon and Berg Haus

Well, after work I stopped into Dunnes Stores and got a pair of wellies for €15.00. Job Done...... or so I thought.......

I put on 2 pairs of thick, warm socks, and the wellies. Brought the mutts for a walk in the park; my feet stayed nice and dry. Unfortunately I had to head home early as I thought I was gonna lose a few toes to frostbite! My feet have never been as cold! I've got a pair of the O/H's fluffy lounge socks & my slippers on now to try and warm back up!
    surprised noone mentioned TK maxx, they always have decent snow boots like Solomon and Berg Haus

Cheers, might try there if weather permits a trip to Blanch in the morning.

Advertisement