Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - crap ping

• 08-01-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im currently living in D1 (near the ha'penny bridge) and last September got 20 meg NTL connection. I never got even close to 20 megs, average was around 7 to 8, so got them to downgrade to the 10 meg package (after much arguing, been on hold and getting an engineer out). I can live with that speed without issue but im getting really bad lag when playing on xboxlive or PC.

Strangely, in modern warfare 2 it reports my ping as green (3 bars) but it doesnt feel like it and even more strange it has actually selected my connection as the host. Which as you can imagine will piss everyone else off :mad: My 2 meg DSL connection in Cork gives a much better ping.

Has anyone had a similar issue to this before? I find it strange as I can download on average between 700-1000KB/s but still getting lag as bad as my connection was during the ISDN days. Upload seems to be ok too, on average its 200KB/s which should be more then enough.
    Have tried wireless/wired too, ensured nothing else is on it, etc etc.

Have given up on ringing UPC, yes believe it or not I have tried restarting the router...
    Dont have a phone line and would perfer not getting one (unless there is no other option) but does anyone recommend an alternative? Good for gaming and a bit of (casual) downloading.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I dont know the answer to your question but with regard to MW2 there is problems with online lag on seemingly good connections fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I have run ping test at home with the new 30mb connection and while the speed is good when i do the test my packet loss is between 50% and 89% which my online gaming is crap while downloading any thing is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I have run ping test at home with the new 30mb connection and while the speed is good when i do the test my packet loss is between 50% and 89% which my online gaming is crap while downloading any thing is fine

That shouldn't be above 0%.

The problem is there's a firewall on your PC and in the router. Turn the one in the router off and it will solve the problem. I did that on mine this week and it made a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

That shouldn't be above 0%.

The problem is there's a firewall on your PC and in the router. Turn the one in the router off and it will solve the problem. I did that on mine this week and it made a huge difference.

You legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I dont know the answer to your question but with regard to MW2 there is problems with online lag on seemingly good connections fwiw.

May not be helping, but its happening with L4D aswell when playing on PC.
    That sounds like what the problem could be alright, would explain why it "thinks" its alot better then it actually is, as in MW2 and probably other p2p setups only do a ping check which returns <30ms on a UK server (according to speedtest.net) but the packet loss is making the actually connection dire.
    Can anything be done for this? I'll run a check on this when I get home later to confirm

/EDIT just saw monkeyfudge's post, I'll check that when I get home. Sounds good! UPC never mentioned this... were too busying telling me to restart the router agian...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alf15

Did turning the firewalls off help with your problem? Im haveing the same problem.

Let me know so I can give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It shouldn't effect the xBox though. They don't have a firewall. It's when you have 2 firewalls running that the problem comes up.

It shouldn't effect the xBox though. They don't have a firewall. It's when you have 2 firewalls running that the problem comes up.
    shíte...
    well I'll give it a go anyway later and see what happens.
    Any ideas of anything else that could cause this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

No you got it wrong I said in the other thread two firewalls together are a disaster.

However a firewall is not just as simple as on and off there are many settings.
    The firewall blocks hack attempts along with a lot of other stuff depending on what way it is configured.

If you have a firewall on your PC your PC is safe consoles don't run windows and are safe enough.

Turning off the firewall will help the XBOX.

The firewall on the modem must be set to block ports used for online gaming.

If you know what ports to open do it if not just turn off the firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

alf15 wrote: »
    Did turning the firewalls off help with your problem? Im haveing the same problem.

Let me know so I can give it a go

Turn off your firewall it won't HELP no it will fully SOLVE your problem.

Also make sure your turn on upnp.
    Universal plug in and play.

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »
    Turn off your firewall it won't HELP no it will fully SOLVE your problem.

Also make sure your turn on upnp.
    Universal plug in and play.
    I think you have done it!
    I disabled the firewall, enabled uPnP and also DMZ on the 360's static IP and it seems to be in business!
    Thank you! :D

Advertisement