Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every train in the country should be prepared for next weeks tranport armageddon.

• 08-01-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

As the countdown approaches to a national transport armageddon, every train in the country should be prepared and ready for next week as the national salt supply dwindles and threatens to annihilate the countries traffic infrastructure.

Even if it involves resurrecting MK3 coaches and what ever motballed servicable locomotives that is availible.

ebbnty.jpg
    Picture Depicts a C201 Class in the 1981 Cold spell.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rock-salt-shortage-to-leave-top-roads-untreated-2004684.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Should but won't I reckon.

I can't see IE bothering to run even one extra train.
    In fact I'm sure there'll be delay and cancellations due to "snow on the line"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

In fairness to them they've done pretty well in the current climate. Same with Luas.

BrianD wrote: »
    In fairness to them they've done pretty well in the current climate. Same with Luas.

Done pretty well with what, normal running?

2 inches of snow should not affect trains in any way.
    Only major issue would be gritting the platforms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I am not knocking IR, and appreciate the excellent work that they are doing ATM. However I am suggesting that they should be given what ever resources and funds at their disposal to carry out the logistics of an emergency plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm all in favour of this provided in means borrowing the 'Cravens' set back from the RPSI! I love twains and steam 'heating'. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Done pretty well with what, normal running?

2 inches of snow should not affect trains in any way.
    Only major issue would be gritting the platforms
    They do need to watch their speed in the current weather because stopping distances for trains are affected too by ice on the track. This particularly affects the Luas, since it shares the roadspace with cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

seamus wrote: »
    They do need to watch their speed in the current weather because stopping distances for trains are affected too by ice on the track. This particularly affects the Luas, since it shares the roadspace with cars.

They would also have to be prepared for seisures of mechanical components due to icing. How safe are points in a freeze up? People will have to put up with delays in this situation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

Cannot agree. Out of 9 trips I took this week 2 have been late by 30 minutes or later. Take your pick from 'points failure' and 'signal problems'. One carriage had 30% heat and light due to a problem with the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote: »
    On busier lines it shouldn't be much of a problem at the pressure of the train wheels will melt the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement

whats a train ?

Train

There ya go, you do know how to use the internet right?

whats a train ?

Try asking some of your useless politicians in Donegal as they or their 'parents' allowed the once extensive Donegal railway system to be pulled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

To be honest the train has been a ' life saver ' for me .

On Weds it was totally impossible to get out the estate I work in ( Park West ).

So ended up on the train

Thank you IE !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Try asking some of your useless politicians in Donegal as they or their 'parents' allowed the once extensive Donegal railway system to be pulled up.
    While it shouldn't have been universally pulled up, I agree, it was far from being a good system, and not helped by terrain and sparse population.

JHMEG wrote: »
    While it shouldn't have been universally pulled up, I agree, it was far from being a good system, and not helped by terrain and sparse population.

On what basis do you make this statement? As far as I know the Co.Donegal Rlys were run as a tight ship, wasting nothing and providing a vital and well used service to the people of Donegal. The railway pioneered the development of petrol/diesel railcars which unlike IE's railcars served every little platform and level crossing on the system - they also hauled goods wagons - shock horror! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

From RTE's latest updates
    2.54pm: Iarnród Éireann has advised customers that all rail services are continuing to operate on all routes, and the company will be maximizing the capacity of rail services.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0108/live_weather_transport_updates.html

Advertisement