Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do with an inheirited server(Home use)

• 08-01-2010 12:56pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move this if in the wrong place.

Just been offered the server from here for a minimal charge after it was upgraded to a new one.Its a Primergy Tx2005s with a single Xeon and I think 8gb ram-tape drive for back ups etc,slot in hard drives etc.

Dont know whether to keep it or sell it on and try get a few quid for it.

How are Xeons for gaming--would it be worth putting Xp on it and sticking in a graphics card--would that make a decent machine?

Any uses anyone can think of with something like this at home--maybe a media server for streaming media from or some other insane use that I can mess around with???

I need something to keep me busy over this weekend cos Im not leaving the house in that weather.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

I don't think you can stick any decent graphic card into tx200 servers (dont recall them having PCIE or even AGP ports). I would recommend to do some backup storage for important (and not) files. XP is not worth putting it on server systems (it will propably wont even detect raid controllers), rather put some windows 2003 or 2008 if you have licence. If not, put some Linux server system and learn how to manage it. Other than that... Maybe Seti@home or similar ? Also good idea is to sell this on Ebay ;].

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whats it worth you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd flog it. If you don't have a plan for it, it's just going to be a large drain on your ESB account!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Whats it worth you reckon?

Give the full spec of it. Most expensive usually is RAID controller and drives.
    Also if ram is DDR2 it would be worth a bit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds-py-tx200-s5.pdf

That help?Ill boot it up tomorrow and post the exact ram/hdd size and cpu.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds-py-tx200-s5.pdf

That help?Ill boot it up tomorrow and post the exact ram/hdd size and cpu.

This will not tell you anything. Config of this server can start from like 1000E for basic no HDD's on board controler up to i guess 10 000 E full memory, dual CPU lot of HDD's good controller, redunant PSU etc...
    Things to check: Model of CPU, amount of memory, disk qty, size, raid controller type and additional things like redunant PSU or maybe second CPU.

Ok there no OS installed on this so Im getting the info from the bios.

Single Xeon 2.4ghz although there is a second slot on the mobo for a second cpu.
    1 gb Ram--matched pairs by the looks of it.
    Has 4 HDDs on the raid controller--SCSI is wrote on the drives but I cant see the size of them.
    The drives are "hot swop" type and theres room for 2 more.

That help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Put Linux or FreeBSD, or a commercial Unix on it
    and configure it as a baddass firewall. Or you could
    setup the server for any network service you want.

Far better than putting Win2k3 or whatever on it.
    You would learn quite alot by doing this, and there
    are plenty of resources out there for help.

Think I might try and sell it.Whats a good asking price for something like this?

Advertisement