Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving away for college? Anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I went to the Maynooth Open Day and there's loads of courses there I want. Didn't really look at Cork or Galway because Maynooths only an hour away and I can still be close enough to Dublin if i want to come back in short notice(or go out on nights out!). Did my CAO today but might have a look the other courses.
    Is it cheaper for the accomodation if you live far away i.e. cheaper for galway than maynooth and dcu? Not sure where I got that from:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

theowen wrote: »
    Is it cheaper for the accomodation if you live far away i.e. cheaper for galway than maynooth and dcu? Not sure where I got that from:confused:

Yeah that makes sense, probably is cheaper. At the Open Day in Maynooth they said it was €90 a week to stay on campus and it's probably cheaper now, not sure how much it is anywhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Pretty much the exact same for me but i'm thinking of moving to Maynooth if i get in to have a 'full college experience' as other people like to say. I didn't apply for many courses in UCD because i don't want to trek out there everyday and my parents say it's too close to move into.

Northsider yeah? :p Im thinking of doing the same... only barely looked at on campus, have you any idea is it nice, modern etc.? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Northsider yeah? :p Im thinking of doing the same... only barely looked at on campus, have you any idea is it nice, modern etc.? :)
    Swords, ewwww. There all nice really, the varying factor being the "craziness" about the place.

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »

I am indeed :) Maynooth? What i saw of it was amazing, the lecture halls were really modern and some were huge but i was only in the science building. Google it theres loads of great pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Oh don't worry the place is a kip hole imo, its full of skanks looking for fights. :mad:

Yeah i went to the open day there last year but never looked at any accomadation, im kinda in the same situation as you UCD & DIT are too close to move out and Limerick is just miles off... Maynooth's kinda just about right :)

I didn't actually get to look around the accomodation either :( had to be somewhere, i'm going to go back during the summer and look around :o Love the pics of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

I moved from Donegal to Galway this year.. The pros of living away is the fact that you get to lead an independant life (It's great!) but at the same time I do get homesick and I go home as often as I can (which is quite regular tbh)

Galway is amazing fun, such a great vibe and it's a real student city :D
    About accomodation.. If you're first year, I'd definately advise staying in student accomodation because that's where you'll make your friends. Corrib Village is notorious for first years but you basically pay (alot) for your atmosphere. The apartments themselves are pretty dingy and it's commonly known that the only things not plastered in Corrib Village are the walls!
    Gort na Coiribe & Cuirt na Coiribe would be the best bets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Yeah putting a deposit down in Gort when the booking opens next week cos it seems pretty nice, good location etc:D
    Would they're be other first years there too? Obviously not as many as Corrib but enough to get a bit of a crew together?:D

Advertisement