Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Frozen Pipe Victim

• 08-01-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey Gang, another victim here of the cold temps, I know its the mains at least, but I've lost my heat to due to a fault with a pressure release valve, with no water to refill I'm now without heat too.

My question is, is it worth attempting to thaw the mains valve at the front of the drive, I suspect its frozen from the path where that is leading up to the house as its very sheltered from winter sun and not allowing a thaw, then what direction does it normally go in, I'm told towards front door, but I've a side door thats probably closer to the mains outside valve from the street, If I poured boiling water from a Burker boiler I feel its a waste of time but is it worth tryin?? any advice? what are the chances of internal pipes now freezing with no central heating? should I be worried,

thanks for any advice that can be offered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hey Gang, another victim here of the cold temps, I know its the mains at least, but I've lost my heat to due to a fault with a pressure release valve, with no water to refill I'm now without heat too.

My question is, is it worth attempting to thaw the mains valve at the front of the drive, I suspect its frozen from the path where that is leading up to the house as its very sheltered from winter sun and not allowing a thaw, then what direction does it normally go in, I'm told towards front door, but I've a side door thats probably closer to the mains outside valve from the street, If I poured boiling water from a Burker boiler I feel its a waste of time but is it worth tryin?? any advice? what are the chances of internal pipes now freezing with no central heating? should I be worried,

thanks for any advice that can be offered

Your central heating should not be affected. If in doubt speak to a plumber but most new heating systems are closed and only need water if you had a leaking radiator.

You should try and thaw, the earlier you do this the more chance you have but most likely you are fighting against the tide since the amount of temperature change you can make on pipes under concrete is very small if any.. I spent two evenings doing it.

Best thing to do is link up hose with neighbour as a temporary measure. I've outlined how to do it on another thread works quite well...

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ShamrockStamps

Yes I know about the heat, its a seperate problem with a leaking pressure relief valve so I cant add water to bring the heating pressure up high enough to run, its a sealed system alright, this is day two, wont be a pleasant weekend for the kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Yes I know about the heat, its a seperate problem with a leaking pressure relief valve so I cant add water to bring the heating pressure up high enough to run, its a sealed system alright, this is day two, wont be a pleasant weekend for the kids!

You should prepare for the fact your water most likely won't come back until a significant thaw happens. That could be a week away. 25 litre containers in Argos for 25 euros... That lasts a day but washing up is a nightmare!!

not an ideal outcome but something i was half expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mike2010

About you leaking PRV.
    If your leaking water thru it, then it means that your valve is open.
    It should only open if your system water pressure increased pressure beyond what the valve is set to blow at (maybe 3 bar).
    If it's open at low pressure, then the valve is stuck (due to dirt or broken).You may need to replace the valve.
    If the pressure goes to 3 bar when the heating is on and that opens the valve, then you potentially have a problem with the expansion vessel in the heating system.
    Best of luck with the frozen pipes :)

• Advertisement

thanks Mike, we've just been waiting to have it fixed with christmas etc, we'd just missed it so where waiting to get it done, It better not be the expansion tank as its only a 2 1/2 old boiler, we're pretty sure its the valve as we've been collecting the water coming out of its drain pipe,

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Xcellor wrote: »
    Your central heating should not be affected. If in doubt speak to a plumber but most new heating systems are closed and only need water if you had a leaking radiator.

You should try and thaw, the earlier you do this the more chance you have but most likely you are fighting against the tide since the amount of temperature change you can make on pipes under concrete is very small if any.. I spent two evenings doing it

X

i've JUST emptied a kettle of boiling water down the water thingy in path outside my house and the result was instant! YIPPEE!! mind u took a while to find it under the snow and ice and didn't like to pour water all over path which would then freeze and be further hazard to my neighbours...

Advertisement