Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeking advice on violin pick-ups

• 08-01-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I finally got around to buying a nice violin so I can lose the electric one I'd been playing. First off though, I need to get a pick-up.

I've had two recommended - a Fishman V200 and LR Baggs.

Does anyone use either or have any feedback or advice before I go for one? Not sure if it makes any difference but my style would be bluegrass.

Cheers m'dears!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

The violin player in my band got this one: http://www.kksound.com/violinissimo.html

It's really hard to compare, because every violin sounds different anyway. But from samples I was able to find, the K&K sounded most natural to me. We've definitely had no regrets with the purchase anyway. He got the "Pro" one with the more solid jack fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭odonopenmic

Thanks a mill for the tip! Looks good alright but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to refit the bridge. Think I'll just have to decide and go with it. It's so bloody confusing! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

You may as well - you're never realistically going to get the opportunity to try them all out on your violin first.

But I'd be sceptical of a piezo that doesn't go under the bridge. Anywhere else is not in the direct path of vibration, and piezo pickups are iffy enough sounding to begin with. Refitting the bridge is pretty easy anyway.

Advertisement