Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering - Big Freeze 09/10

• 08-01-2010 1:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been a very difficult couple of months for people affected by the floods and severe cold weather. The whole country has had to deal with dangerous icey conditions and it has made life difficult for many people, particularly the elderly. People may need the basics like food, fuel and water. Clearing snow and salting ice in driveways and along vital footpaths could be key to unlocking vulnerable people from isolation. If you are trying to help someone just make sure you aren't putting yourself in serious danger and become in urgent need of help yourself.

Age Action
    They are asking anyone who might have some spare time to see if there is someone who might be on their own and isolated by the weather to contact them and ensure they have any urgent needs met.

The civil defence is possibly also being activated to deal with difficulties caused by the freezing weather.
    Well done for the efforts so far, good luck with the effort to come.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Red Cross

Snow and Ice: First Aid Tips from the Red Cross
    Snow and Ice: Safety and Accident Prevention Advice from the Red Cross.

SVP

Anyone need help? thread in the Weather forum of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Hi

Im a teacher and now off until Thursday at the earliest. I have been looking at vincent de paul, simon, barnardos, etc. None of them have a facility for volunteers to meet and help people who are stuck and need assistance.

They only seem interested in donations. Pity, I think they should be utilising people like me who are now bored being off and willing to help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Maybe the simplest thing to do is to stay as local as possible and ask if neighbours who could be vulnerable whether they need help. Volunteers usually need to go through a process (application, possibly vetting and training) to begin work with those organisations.

Be Alert to People Isolated in the Artic Conditions from St Vincent dePaul
    SVP and Ageaction team up together to deal with the crisis
    Civil Defence activities during the big Freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 spade

The various agencies and charities vet their volunteers in order to make sure their clients (in this case older people) are safe - i.e. they don't get robbed etc by unknown people.

Following on from Stargazer's suggestions if you don't know any local people I would suggest asking a) local garda station do they know of anyone in the area who needs a helping hand or b) your postman/lady - they usually know everyone or c) the local priest/minister

Muintir na Tire are also organising volunteers 062 51163
    Their helpline is 086 6000751

Advertisement