Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand vinyl and CDs

Options
  • 08-01-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Where do you get your second hand records and CDs?

I've got a stack of old CDs that I don't listen to anymore, that I was hoping I could trade.

Also, I don't see the point in spending €20 on a new album, when I can get it for cheaper. And there are a load of older albums I'd love to get, that the big shops don't seem to carry.

What are your favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The two places I go to when buying or selling 2nd hand cd's are "Free Birds" ( a few doors up from "Tower" in Wicklow St. It's easy to miss if you are not looking for it. A long corridor leads to it), and in the mall in nearby Sth Gt Georges St there is a record stall (cant remember the name). There is also a shop in this mall which deals in 2nd hand stuff. You could also try "adverts.ie".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I think there is a place in crown alley, just up from what once was Doran's. I was just having a pointless wonder about 2nd hand cd's there. Does any of the money go to the artist or is it a bit like illegal downloading where the trading is "behind the back" of the artist?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

How would the artist get any money from someone selling second hand CDs? They have already received royalties from the initial purchase anyway.

Freebird is part of the secret second hand book store on wicklow st. Trout records is in georges arcade along with spindizzy (i think). Borderline is in temple bar near the arch, but soon to be closed down. Not sure how much money you'll make selling them to these guys. A few euro each if you lucky i'd say. Ebay or Adverts.ie might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

How would the artist get any money from someone selling second hand CDs? They have already received royalties from the initial purchase anyway.

Freebird is part of the secret second hand book store on wicklow st. Trout records is in georges arcade along with spindizzy (i think). Borderline is in temple bar near the arch, but soon to be closed down. Not sure how much money you'll make selling them to these guys. A few euro each if you lucky i'd say. Ebay or Adverts.ie might be a better option.

I'm not really interested in just selling them. Ideally I would trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Well it was just that your getting their album without paying them, is that not the same as "stealing" as the the american music copyright association(whatever they are called) would call it. I've nothing against it but i was just wondering what the copyright people think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

TheBandit wrote: »
    Well it was just that your getting their album without paying them, is that not the same as "stealing" as the the American music copyright association(whatever they are called) would call it. I've nothing against it but i was just wondering what the copyright people think about it

I dont know how the law works in this case. If you pay for it, it's yours to trade, if you wish, I would think. :confused:

I know it's not quite the same comparison, but if this criteria were to be used, then most things could not be traded. For example, say you traded a Fender guitar for another guitar brand. The guy you traded to, did not pay Fender for it, and you did not pay the company that made your guitar. It does not make much sense IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

City Disks in templebar and Chapters on t'other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Whats the best place for browsing for old vinyls in town? Im thinking of beginning my long journey on the road towards having a vinyl collection so I have no clue about the best online sources or anything.... any tips?

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

Whats the best place for browsing for old vinyls in town? Im thinking of beginning my long journey on the road towards having a vinyl collection so I have no clue about the best online sources or anything.... any tips?

cheers,

Get onto hmv.com There's a section there with all the new vinyl releases. Either order it online or your nearest shop can do it for you.
    For older stuff keep yours eyes open for the record fairs that travel around a few times a year. Its usually a simple white A4 poster. They have some excellent stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

cheers,

Pretty limited selection in Dublin I find. Online I'd suggest -

http://www.gemm.com/

or Discogs which I'm sure you know! Gemm is a good all rounder for all genres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement