Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full erase SATA Hard Drive

• 08-01-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I used to use Seagate tools for DOS to erase all my IDE hard drives, but I have tried this with my SATA drive, but although the program runs it will not erase it and comes up with a compatibility error.
    I checked the Seagate site for a SATA version and it says that Tools for DOS will do it but on trying it doesn't.

Any other alternatives out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

A very secure way to delete all the info if you need it.
    http://www.dban.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks. I'll give that a go later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

+1 for dban.

Less than a week ago I was in the process of wiping two laptop drives which had been formatted with the UFS filesystem. I usually use my bootable copy of Acronis Disk Director whenever I'm working with my harddrives as it has served me well in the past, however in this case Disk Director was unable to see the two UFS formatted drives, this was also the case with PartedMagic

I then fired up Darik's Boot And Nuke (dban) and straight away it could see both drives. I set it to work and left it to run performing a single pass on both disks for several minutes in order for it to wipe the start of each drive.

I then re-booted the machine with my Acronis disc and was able to use it on the drives as I would normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'd do more than a single pass if you're selling drives on, 4 or 5 passes using the PRNG erase method will do fine. More passes if you're feeling paranoid.

At the main Dban Menu.

Up\Down to select physical drive or partition. Space or Enter to select.

Switch off Verify (Press V and select ON\OFF), it speeds things up considerably.

Select Method (Press M - Up\Down - Enter or Space to select)

Press R and enter how many passes you want to erase the drive

F10 to start

Dban doesn't descriminate, it doesn't take into what way a hard drive is formatted. It removes everything.. and is tailored as such.

kleefarr, just to state the obvious.. select the proper drive, if you have more than one in a PC.. Dban won't cut you any slack and allow you to recover from a simple error like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I'd do more than a single pass if you're selling drives on

+1

The disks are for my own use, Amalgam, but good advice nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Tried out Darik's Boot and Nuke 2.0.0 but I keep getting a "drive not wiped" error. It also states that this version is for IDE and SCSI drives only. No mention of SATA drives.

http://www.dban.org/download

Advertisement