Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelodge Still Charge Me After Cancellation!

Options
  • 08-01-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im due to stay in Travelodge Waterford tomorrow night but asked them could they cancel the room due to the awful weather and dangerous roads (Im in Wexford). They said they cant cancel since I booked under the saver rate (which has a no cancellation yoke attached to it!).

BUT how is it my fault I cant make it down? - I would if I could (and may have to brave it to avoid paying for something I wont even be using).

I also asked them to transfer it to Saturday week but have heard nothing back as of yet...

Advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How is it their fault that you can't get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Update: They cant transfer either.

Nody: I never said it was their fault I couldnt get there - its nobodys fault but the weathers! But a bit of leniency would have been nice from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

silverwex wrote: »
    Update: They cant transfer either.

Nody: I never said it was their fault I couldnt get there - its nobodys fault but the weathers! But a bit of leniency would have been nice from them.

Why? You get the super-cheap rate on the basis of no cancellations. That includes if you are sick / dead / snowed-in / flights cancelled... if you want flexibility pay the normal rate. They are very very clear about this on their website and IIRC they say it clearly on phone bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭lau1247

Title of the post should be changed.. They're still charging because they're not cancelling it..

I agree that it is the weather's fault but unfortunately you got the short end of the straw that's all..

I suppose the bright side is that you're losing money at the "saver rate"

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Cabaal wrote: »

That is their current offer - Try a booking for 1 months time - Travel Lodge (like Aer Lingus present pricing structure) usually gives 2 alternatives - pay €50 and have full flexibility or pay €20 and have no flexibility unfortunately the terms are clear. In fairness to Travel Lodge it is a good bit discounted.

Here is same hotel for February
    http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/rooms_rates.php?hotel_id=230&from=list

Yeah you guys are right - ah well. Think Ill brave it down anyway. Thanks for replies.

silverwex wrote: »
    Yeah you guys are right - ah well. Think Ill brave it down anyway. Thanks for replies.

Yeah its a harsh policy but I guess they just want all the revenue possible and are very aware their hotel could sit empty most of the weekend if they let everyone off their contracts for the weather. Doubt Travel Lodge care too much about nurturing long term customer loyalty.

Besides if you travel late morning etc the main routes should be fairly driveable.

Best of luck and hope you get back before Sunday's mad snow event!

Cheers biglad - what this about snow on Sunday? Meant to be bad is it?

If it happens - worse than Wednesday - could be Sunday night or Monday.

From Met Eireann - they refer to Monday but RTE talk about Sunday night
    The wintry cold spell will continue for the foreseeable future. Apart from a few snow showers near east and south coasts, Saturday night will be dry, but very cold with severe frost and ice. Sunday will be cold and mostly cloudy with occasional sleet and snow showers in the south and east, giving accumulations in places. Monday will be very cold again. It'll be a mostly cloudy day with frequent showers of sleet and snow in a strong easterly wind. Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds. Apart from a few snow showers, Tuesday will be mostly dry but very cold in a strong east to southeast wind.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

thebiglad wrote: »
    Yeah its a harsh policy but I guess they just want all the revenue possible and are very aware their hotel could sit empty most of the weekend if they let everyone off their contracts for the weather. Doubt Travel Lodge care too much about nurturing long term customer loyalty.

It's a standard policy - book something dirt cheap and no refunds.

I've benefitted from their tennertastic rooms and am quite happy to book at the cheap rate and deal with their fully-clear no-refund policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness to them, they do make it clear that this is a "no refund" booking. By doing so, you benefit from the cheaper rate, but run the risk of not getting a refund if for some reason you can't make make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

It's the same with most flights. I'm due to go to London on Tuesday, but with the weather have almost decided not to go. I could cancel the ticket and get the taxes refunded, but with a £25 cancellation charge, there would be little or no money back.

I'm hoping it snows bad on Tuesday and the flight's cancelled.

Advertisement