Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the gulf stream irreparably "broken" ?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭

I am no expert. Maybe this is a ridiculous subject to post. But is it possible that the gulf stream has stopped working and that we are going to get this weather on a permanent basis ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheBlackBuck

If I remember correctly it was mentioned in An Bord Snip report. They recommended we cancel our subscription to the gulf stream. Maybe they implemented it in the budget amongst all the other cutbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I am no expert. Maybe this is a ridiculous subject to post. But is it possible that the gulf stream has stopped working and that we are going to get this weather on a permanent basis ?

Life went back to normal after '47, '63, '82, '91..and this snap isnt as cold as those yet..
    I think we are safe enough.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »
    Life went back to normal after '47, '63, '82, '91..and this snap isnt as cold as those yet..
    I think we are safe enough.

snap is an incorrect description as we'd have this for the guts of two-three weeks now. in terms of duration and snowfall this current period of cold weather is nothing compared to '47 and '63

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

While I appreciate your concerns OP, you may have taken the film 'the day after tomorrow' a little too seriously. Did you watch it while in a state of stupour?

It won't be the shifting of the gulf stream what will do us in, it'll be something a bit nastier like widespread contamination of water or food stocks I reckon or as someone i the zombie apocalypse forum suggested a synergy of all the innoculations and vaccines that we are giving ourselves that will cause the demise of mankind, as we know it.

It's cold alright, but them siberian winds havnae brought any wolves with them yet.

Maybe you'd be best off heading over to the conspiracies forum because I hear the ruskies may have built a big gulf stream diverting machine under the polar ice cap or summink.

So no, don't worry, it ain't broken, yet..........

Ive read that the Artic has gone into a sever negative ossicallation.
    I have no idea what that means. Just thought Id pass it on :):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Jake1 wrote: »
    Ive read that the Artic has gone into a sever negative ossicallation.
    I have no idea what that means. Just thought Id pass it on :):o

I've no idea either, but googling gives.....

say_what.jpg

Probably them Ruskies up to something underneath it as I said before...

Pete M. wrote: »
    Probably them Ruskies up to something underneath it as I said before...

Or could be the Norway Spiral. Booga boooga..:eek:

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1319.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

The gulf stream is not what makes this countries winters mild. Its the prevailing south westerlies blowing over this warmish water which keeps us mild.

In the last few weeks our winds have turned Northerly and Easterly due to normal variation in weather patterns. These sourced winds are much colder and thats why we are experiancing a freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The sea is still 11C at Buoy M3 and most of the water around Ireland is 10C so I think the Gulf stream is fine.

The Irish sea has cooled a bit from 11C early last week down to 9C at M2 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

that's Oscillation, :P

that's Oscillation, :P

Cheers. ooops :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

arctictree wrote: »
    The gulf stream is not what makes this countries winters mild.

You're right it's the North Atlantic Drift that keeps us mild, the Gulf Stream just circulates around the Gulf of Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

mike65 wrote: »
    no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_91.jpg

Best reply on a thread .... ever!

Best reply on a thread .... ever!

I agree, though not sure about the ever part, we don't know what the future holds...

Advertisement