Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcohan Teenagers

• 08-01-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Last year we bought a house on the old Tramore rd. The nearest shop to us is Spar in Kilcohan, its next to a bookies and a few takeaways, pub and off licence. There is a group of teenagers who like to hang outside theses premises and I never had any trouble with them till yesterday evening.

I was coming home from work, after collecting my child from the minder and stopped into the shop to buy fire lighters. I was placing them in the boot of my car when I got a snowball thrown at me and it hit off my back pretty hard. The gang of teenagers (about 15years old average, boys and girls) started laughing.
    I shouted at them and asked who throw it, they all kept quite, I shouted again and asked and they started mouthing at me all sorts. I told them to just wait there a little longer and rang the gaurda.
    A lovely gaurda call to my house later and I made a complaint against them but she said nothing could be done as I did not see who actually throw the snowball at me. She told me she moved the gang on.
    My other half out of curiousity went back down to the shop a while later to see if there were still there and they were.

Their parents dont seem to care and Im completely outraged at what happened. I wish I could do more to punish them but the law doesnt seem to have the power.
    Im half thinking of going back down there again tonight and confronting them myself but not sure if thats a good idea. I dont want them to get away with it either.

Anyone come across this gang or have any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

TBH it was a snowball.The Gardai arnt going to do anything about that and theyll probably see you as more of a target with your reaction.If youd just laughed it off or even threw one back thatd be the end of it right now but shouting at them and calling the gardai has probably done no help and if anything given you a bullseye on your back

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Get the other half or another male relative to go back there as soon as possible and find the biggest one. Have that lad grabbed by the throat and raised off the ground and put the fear of God into him and the rest will melt. Do you know any badasses that may help with this endeavor?

The other option is to get a few friends and go down there and have a snowball fight....the poor bored youth were just looking for an outlet for their frustration at having nothing to do.

I prefer the first opton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Orlaithc9 are you nuts? This is how wars start. Just get over it and if Kilcohan Stores local hoodies bother you (I never go up there even though its just about the nearest shop) shop in Centra, Johns park which is a much better shop anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Make a snowball of your own and fook it back at them. Obviously the snowball is really a brick with just enough snow on it to make it white. Problem solved and you get to laugh at whoever ya hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

My opinion would be not to confront them any further - you risk drawing them on you even more and it could escalate. Walk away from this now, don't give them an excuse to target you.

I recently confronted some teenagers who were putting grafitti on a building that I work in. Next day, the place was ruined with grafitti - they'd obviously come back overnight.

I completely understand why you would be upset, but it was a fairly minor incident. I imagine that it was done by an individual who didn't think about their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Near enough to the area myself, i have a rough idea who OP is talking about, after countless nights of burgers and chips in that take away after work. They seem to congregate outside that chiper.

I recall one night, (a very cold night around 11pm) one of them had a pram with a baby, and the baby was not dressed appropriately for the cold weather. That's child abuse in my own mind.

I would like a scare tactic to be executed amongst them because they seem to mark their territory along those shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Orlaithc9

TBH it was a snowball.The Gardai arnt going to do anything about that and theyll probably see you as more of a target with your reaction.If youd just laughed it off or even threw one back thatd be the end of it right now but shouting at them and calling the gardai has probably done no help and if anything given you a bullseye on your back

Oh I fully understand it was only a snowball but in all fairness why should they get away with it???If it was a rock or a glass that was thrown at me would it be any different?
    I dont stand for people thinking they cant get away that sort of behaviour.
    I have done nothing to them and would in the past probably stood up for them thinking they were only bored etc but now I will not give them one ounce of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

chelloveks wrote: »
    Get the other half or another male relative to go back there as soon as possible and find the biggest one. Have that lad grabbed by the throat and raised off the ground and put the fear of God into him and the rest will melt. Do you know any badasses that may help with this endeavor?

The other option is to get a few friends and go down there and have a snowball fight....the poor bored youth were just looking for an outlet for their frustration at having nothing to do.

I prefer the first opton.

Some friendly advice , Unless you and your mates can really back yourselves up AND not just internet warriors , I Would leave it go , The last father/adult to try something was beaten badly , also the biggest lad that hangs around there is far from the ringleader ,You will be getting involved with 2 families that will not be backing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

+1 Ultimate Chin comment.

No one likes to be snowballed by an unknown but unfortunately it does happen. If they were confrontational and squared up to you then that would be different.
    Tough as it may be, you might just have to let it go and please god that will be the end of it.

In addition can I just add the Gaurda that called to the house said that the gang is well known by them and they are forever running them from the area but they alway come back. She said that they are looking at getting asbo's put on each individual and breaking up the group that way. But in my opinion that wont stop them, they will be only proud of having an asbo.
    I agree with the poster who said a scare tactic should be imployed. I dont think voilence is the answer however, and their parents dont seem to careless from what the garda had told me.

Feels like a loosing battle.

• Advertisement

Orlaithc9 wrote: »
    In addition can I just add the Gaurda that called to the house said that the gang is well known by them and they are forever running them from the area but they alway come back. She said that they are looking at getting asbo's put on each individual and breaking up the group that way. But in my opinion that wont stop them, they will be only proud of having an asbo.
    I agree with the poster who said a scare tactic should be imployed. I dont think voilence is the answer however, and their parents dont seem to careless from what the garda had told me.

Yeah i think ASBOs are like service medals to people who get them, not much a deterrent at all. Calling the cops was all you can really do. It will help build up a case against them.
    From observation in my hometown, I would reckon once they start getting older and finish school they'll stop hanging out at the shopping area because they will be allowed into pubs and discos, start having adult issues and the thought of standing outside a shopping area is the last thing on their mind. Hopefully for you this is soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

This kind of **** really annoys me, my only other thought op is to ring the guards and say you thought you could smell hash off them and at the very least they'll turn up and search the lot of them.

In the future I would suggest ignore them. These types of yogs have big yob familys and wouldn't hesitate i'm sure to jump you. Use a different shop and write a letter to the manager of that shop and explain why your going to a different shop. That might make him do something

Yes there are a couple of real nutters and a couple who just done give a fcuk within this group those families don't care or have just given up .
    But I know and have worked with a hell of alot of the rest of the group and their brothers and sisters ,And believe me or not they are far from the worst , Its just they too are dealing with hard choices , peer presssure and even fear . They are left with a couple of choices and the easy is to go along with the group so as not to become isolated and picked on THEMSELVES. And trust me some have all really come through this and have/are gone on to better themselves and started to build themselves a decent life.

Now i will not start about lack of amenities etc etc thats a debate for another day.

As for a loosing battle , think its more like a war ,you lose some , you win some,

ziedth wrote: »
    This kind of **** really annoys me, my only other thought op is to ring the guards and say you thought you could smell hash off them and at the very least they'll turn up and search the lot of them.

In the future I would suggest ignore them. These types of yogs have big yob familys and wouldn't hesitate i'm sure to jump you. Use a different shop and write a letter to the manager of that shop and explain why your going to a different shop. That might make him do something

Thanks ziedth, thats really good advice. Theres a number of businesses in the area that gang like to hang out in, I will write a letter to the managers of the services I use and explain why I am no longer going there. Im sure if enough of the businesses got together there could be something done, I know if it was my business effected I would do everything in my power to move them on.

PS: Wish I thought of the harsh thing, that might have given them a little scare :rolleyes:

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Yes there are a couple of real nutters and a couple who just done give a fcuk within this group those families don't care or have just given up .
    But I know and have worked with a hell of alot of the rest of the group and their brothers and sisters ,And believe me or not they are far from the worst , Its just they too are dealing with hard choices , peer presssure and even fear . They are left with a couple of choices and the easy is to go along with the group so as not to become isolated and picked on THEMSELVES. And trust me some have all really come through this and have/are gone on to better themselves and started to build themselves a decent life.

Now i will not start about lack of amenities etc etc thats a debate for another day.

As for a loosing battle , think its more like a war ,you lose some , you win some,

Point taken, but what happens to these kids if they are left to get away with such behaviour??? Does it not get worse? It gives them the opinion they can do what ever they want to whom ever they want.
    I would in the past have all the sympathy for someone coming up in a hard environment but not anymore.

Im glad that some kids have moved on and made decent lifes for themselves but what happens to the rest, do they grow up with the same or worse lack of respect, have kids of their own and the cycle beings again.
    It should be stopped and stopped now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

tbh ,im from around that way and theres been groups hanging around that particular chipper since i was a young fella.it might be different people now but its all the same.little ya can really do about it unless yer from the area yourself.

anplaya wrote: »
    tbh ,im from around that way and theres been groups hanging around that particular chipper since i was a young fella.it might be different people now but its all the same.little ya can really do about it unless yer from the area yourself.
    There is always gonna be people hanging around chippers. There be loads up by the cleaboy, never had any problems with them meself.
    Im not into all that "victim of circumstance" and praising them for turning out good in the end. Why not praise the ones who where good all along?

There used to be a gang of teenagers hanging around the Londis at the Brass cock on the Dunmore Road.

Some of the of the shop owners installed one of those high pitched squealer things that only teenagers can hear - and they've disappeared completely!

(only thing is that my teenagers can hear it when we go there and they hate it)

deise-lady wrote: »
    There used to be a gang of teenagers hanging around the Londis at the Brass cock on the Dunmore Road.

Some of the of the shop owners installed one of those high pitched squealer things that only teenagers can hear - and they've disappeared completely!

Im 26 and can still hear the bastarding thing. Wrecks me head.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Sure you only a young fella Seany :D
    I'd love to hear it.

• Advertisement

Sure you only a young fella Seany :D
    I'd love to hear it.

No ya wouldnt. Its like a fecking dog whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

lol me brother went in there one day and was like what the fcuk is that noise,and hes 22 .

Point taken, but what happens to these kids if they are left to get away with such behaviour??? Does it not get worse? It gives them the opinion they can do what ever they want to whom ever they want.
    I would in the past have all the sympathy for someone coming up in a hard environment but not anymore.

Im glad that some kids have moved on and made decent lifes for themselves but what happens to the rest, do they grow up with the same or worse lack of respect, have kids of their own and the cycle beings again.
    It should be stopped and stopped now.

Yes you are right , anti social behaviour cannot be allow to continue and has to be challenged at every opportunity, And SADLY its can get worse, But there are youths out there that no matter what is tried it just does not work and you cannot get through . And these end up been dealt with my society and the law in the end.

As for stopping the cycle .God knows I'd love to have an answer for you ,but the honest truth is ..I just Don't.

There is always gonna be people hanging around chippers. There be loads up by the cleaboy, never had any problems with them meself.
    Im not into all that "victim of circumstance" and praising them for turning out good in the end. Why not praise the ones who where good all along?

A lot of us do and have done for many years , but that does look as good as bad stories in print :mad:

I like the high pitched squeal device idea. When the group in question turn up then one of the shops in the shopping area could turn on the device, when the go away turn it off........so the likes of Seanybiker can use the shop:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

When did they install those?
    I've been down that way and never heard anything yet I've been able to hear those things before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've been down that way and never heard anything yet I've been able to hear those things before.
    You could hear them before but now old age is catching up :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »

Not sure when they were installed but I think it's only about a month ago as that's when we started noticing it.

I was never hassled by the teenagers there, but I did find it intimidating having to pass them, especially when I was on my own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure when they were installed but I think it's only about a month ago as that's when we started noticing it.

I was never hassled by the teenagers there, but I did find it intimidating having to pass them, especially when I was on my own.

Ah fair enough haevn't been down that way in the past three months so that explains that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

It would be a good idea if the other units follwed the example of the off-license and moved their shop front out to the edge of the columns. No place for the little feckers to stand in the bad weather.

Advertisement