Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcohan Teenagers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

re the high pitched whistle solution ... another experiment they've tried in the UK is to install pink lighting outside problem areas .... apparently 'low-lifes' don't like standing under a pink light because they feel it makes them look gay .... I jest not

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Antisocial behaviour is on the rise in Waterford, (and Ireland) and is one of the main reasons why me and my family are emigrating out of here to the US, well as soon as the house sells:rolleyes: We have job opportunities in New Hampshire/Maine. I've heard of this shower in Kilcohan alright though. My mate says its like a scene from "shameless" up there..

Its ridiculous the amount of **** people have to deal with on a regular basis. Guards cant do anything, talking rationally to these kids dosent work, I've tried.
    Nothing can or will be done about them.
    Unless you're the Minister of Justice or have access to 10 burly mates with pick handles and balaclavas, I'd leave it go. This stuff is guaranteed to just wreck your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i go in and out there everyday and was up at the chemist this afternoon with my daughter and they were there but they never say a word and never have dont to me..never seen any anti social behaviour first hand other than the standing around outside the carry out or chipper.

just with regards to the comment "what if it was a glass bottle" , if there was no snow they wouldnt have been throwing glass bottles. it was a snowball and in its absence i dont think they would have looked for a bottle to lob at your head.just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

snuggles09 wrote: »
    i go in and out there everyday and was up at the chemist this afternoon with my daughter and they were there but they never say a word and never have dont to me..never seen any anti social behaviour first hand other than the standing around outside the carry out or chipper.

just with regards to the comment "what if it was a glass bottle" , if there was no snow they wouldnt have been throwing glass bottles. it was a snowball and in its absence i dont think they would have looked for a bottle to lob at your head.just my opinion
    Finally someone spoke a bit of sense!! Ye are taking this way too far, i dont even think ye know how bad it can get. I wouldnt be worried about kids throwing snowballs now tbh far worse things going on imo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zeppe wrote: »
    Antisocial behaviour is on the rise in Waterford, (and Ireland) and is one of the main reasons why me and my family are emigrating out of here to the US, well as soon as the house sells:rolleyes: We have job opportunities in New Hampshire/Maine. .

Yes because America is the land of the free and has no problems at all......your kidding me right?
    :rolleyes:

I pity any kids that will be educated under the US education system and also pity any parents that will have to pay US college fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

anplaya wrote: »
    tbh ,im from around that way and theres been groups hanging around that particular chipper since i was a young fella.it might be different people now but its all the same.little ya can really do about it unless yer from the area yourself.
    i grew up in kilcohan and am married now and still live in the neighbourhood and was a teenager hanging out around that shop . i know that we had a lot more respect for our peers then that they do now but in fairness they only threw a snowball.its a issue that needs to be sorted soon though about them hanging out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

deise48 wrote: »
    i grew up in kilcohan and am married now and still live in the neighbourhood and was a teenager hanging out around that shop . i know that we had a lot more respect for our peers then that they do now but in fairness they only threw a snowball.its a issue that needs to be sorted soon though about them hanging out there

There are a hell of a lot of local people trying to sort these things out ,but no matter what you do there will always be spots where kids/youths with hang out in groups , It happens in every town and village in Ireland and has gone for the last 30/40 years .
    Before the shops it was the Gap...... before the Gap... it was the John's Park ,
    Ok There are very little amenities or activities in the Area ,those that are there are stretched
    You cannot entertain or provide services 24 hours a day , So there will always be times where kids/youths will be left to there own devices ,And its at these times we have to hope that there home/family values and want they have picked up for clubs or groups will see them right.

And to be fair 90% do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

deise48 wrote: »

gotta disagree nothing to do with respect for our peers nowits probably more or less the same as when i was their age..im not that much older than most of the teens hanging about there.whats the difference between them and the lads that used to hang around there when i was a young fella?this issue has been around for years,nothing has been done about it.as ya said ya hung around that shop,im sure ya were moved on numerous times but yet ya prob went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

what is the deal with scumbags and hanging around shops???????? like whats the attraction for them lol i wonder do any of em say to people that are goin in the door "hey!!! givus ten cent boi" like years ago when you,d walk into a shop and a scumbag would say "givus tepence boi" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

what is the deal with scumbags and hanging around shops???????? like whats the attraction for them lol i wonder do any of em say to people that are goin in the door "hey!!! givus ten cent boi" like years ago when you,d walk into a shop and a scumbag would say "givus tepence boi" lol

tbh alot of it is shelter from wind and the rain. lots of places have over head columns that stop the rain from getting in.i never get any hassle at all when i go there,lot of the time theyre minding their own business,only times theyll say anything is when they recognise me and say well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Orlaithc9 wrote: »
    Last year we bought a house on the old Tramore rd. The nearest shop to us is Spar in Kilcohan, its next to a bookies and a few takeaways, pub and off licence. There is a group of teenagers who like to hang outside theses premises and I never had any trouble with them till yesterday evening.

I was coming home from work, after collecting my child from the minder and stopped into the shop to buy fire lighters. I was placing them in the boot of my car when I got a snowball thrown at me and it hit off my back pretty hard. The gang of teenagers (about 15years old average, boys and girls) started laughing.
    I shouted at them and asked who throw it, they all kept quite, I shouted again and asked and they started mouthing at me all sorts. I told them to just wait there a little longer and rang the gaurda.
    A lovely gaurda call to my house later and I made a complaint against them but she said nothing could be done as I did not see who actually throw the snowball at me. She told me she moved the gang on.
    My other half out of curiousity went back down to the shop a while later to see if there were still there and they were.

Their parents dont seem to care and Im completely outraged at what happened. I wish I could do more to punish them but the law doesnt seem to have the power.
    Im half thinking of going back down there again tonight and confronting them myself but not sure if thats a good idea. I dont want them to get away with it either.

Anyone come across this gang or have any advice on what to do?

anplaya wrote: »
    tbh alot of it is shelter from wind and the rain. lots of places have over head columns that stop the rain from getting in.i never get any hassle at all when i go there,lot of the time theyre minding their own business,only times theyll say anything is when they recognise me and say well.

Not condoning the actions but as the OP said herself ,she raised the tempo of the instant herself. not once but twice before she got a reaction from the group , People not just kids/youths will always react in kind to the way they are treated in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ah fair enough haevn't been down that way in the past three months so that explains that :)

might want to start saving for the hearing aids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

I lived in this area about 4years ago for about 5years, loved my house but unfortunatly we were pushed out because of these little b*******s,the night before i was going in to have my baby we had bottles of Heineken thrown at our front door and that was mild to what went on over the 5years that we were there, we did everything to try stop it, but to no avail we ended up selling up and moving out,:mad: it was like giving up and letting them win but we could not stay there with a new baby, we already had a 15year old which i was terrified to leave walk anywhere on his own in case they did something to him!! And that was all on my own doorstep, when we would go to the shop the abuse that was thrown at us, and we did ignore it,but there is only so much you can take, so i don't think it will ever change in that area. On a bighter note i have to say we are very happy now where we live and so glad we made the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Orlaithc9 wrote: »
    In addition can I just add the Gaurda that called to the house said that the gang is well known by them and they are forever running them from the area but they alway come back.

That could be a totally different "gang", the guard didnt see who threw it at you!

I live on the old tramore road too(have lived in this area most of my life,just moved back) my mother and father were driving past there yesterday to call into me and they had snowballs thrown at the car,but just laughed it off. I go in and out of those shops everyday and night and have never had a word spoken to me, or a glass bottle thrown at me !!

I wouldnt go any further with it by getting yourself or family involved because then your just looking for trouble over a bit of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

zeppe wrote: »
    My mate says its like a scene from "shameless" up there..

Well thats the overreaction of the century. They stand around chatting and smoking outside the chipper, how is that like a scene from shameless?!lol people are rediculus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 razvan_ghetau

chelloveks wrote: »
    Get the other half or another male relative to go back there as soon as possible and find the biggest one. Have that lad grabbed by the throat and raised off the ground and put the fear of God into him and the rest will melt. Do you know any badasses that may help with this endeavor?

The other option is to get a few friends and go down there and have a snowball fight....the poor bored youth were just looking for an outlet for their frustration at having nothing to do.

I prefer the first opton.

haha =))) nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Talk about over reactions! A crowd of young people hanging about near shops who threw a snowball at someone. Theres young people out there doing far far worse. Theres plenty of things going on in waterford that the Gardai need to be dealing with apart from a féckin snowball.

I'd have laughed at it and thrown one back, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

chelloveks wrote: »
    Get the other half or another male relative to go back there as soon as possible and find the biggest one. Have that lad grabbed by the throat and raised off the ground and put the fear of God into him and the rest will melt. Do you know any badasses that may help with this endeavor?

The other option is to get a few friends and go down there and have a snowball fight....the poor bored youth were just looking for an outlet for their frustration at having nothing to do.

I prefer the first opton.

Your second option is spot on.

This however: "Do you know any badasses that may help with this endeavor?" LMFAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

it was a feckin snowball , not a grenade:rolleyes:

with an overreaction like that mabey the :mad:author:mad: could do with some anger management classes:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno, people are saying just a snowball. And if it was a smiley 10 year old i'd agree but i can imagine that these i'm assuming teenagers didn't playfully throw it they were acting the maggots. Now, I don't know for sure but thats how i would imagine it went down. Is it just an egg at halloween too like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i find the title of this thread unfair to the teenagers of kilcohan as there is many locals in the area that use the spar shop as a meeting point not only the kilcohan teenagers,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

The entire area is Kilcohan, is it not? Not just Kilcohan Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

have to agree witha few posters here, complete over reaction by the OP....

it was a snowball.... not a brick, or metal bar.... a snowball...
    the kids where just having a bit of fun..... for gods sake... we get snow once in how many years down here, kids and teenagers and a lot of adults are delighted, have a bit of fun, throwing snowballs around... and there is some kill joy who doesn't understand a bit of harmless fun.. goes and over reacts to it all!!!!!!
    Some people need to lighten up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Interesting though to see the difference in reaction by two sets of shops. The shops in Kilcohan have always had the groups hanging aorund outside and don't do anything to change that. The shops down on the Dunmore Road had a group hanging around and installed that high-pitched device thing (apparently).

I'd personally consider the response from Londis to be a bit over the top, especially when you see that lads who were hanging around there. It's not like they're a group of scumbags who'd have you scared walking past them like.

Whereas I can see how the crowd out by the shops in Kilcohan could intimidate some people. I'm sure if you're from the area there's no bother and you know the story but I wouldn't be inclined to go in there if I was out that way. So it is an issue but it's probably not worth the hassle the shop-owners would get if they tried to do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

michellie wrote: »
    Well thats the overreaction of the century. They stand around chatting and smoking outside the chipper, how is that like a scene from shameless?!lol people are rediculus

Why do people continue to be apologists for these cretins? They either live amongst them or live so far away from them that they do not understand the hassle they cause to ordinary law abiding citizens.

The PC brigade as happy to make excuses for them from disfunctional family upbringing to they just lost their way when they end up in front of the courts. Lets get real they are a shower of little Sh1ts!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

KingLoser wrote: »
    The entire area is Kilcohan, is it not? Not just Kilcohan Park.

No. Kilcohan, St Herblain, Cherrymount, Prospect Mews, Avondale etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

kensutz wrote: »
    No. Kilcohan, St Herblain, Cherrymount, Prospect Mews, Avondale etc.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. The whole area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

No it's not all Kilcohan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

the area the shop is in is actually St.Herblain as far as i know though i know it's referred to as Kilcohan. I live in Kilcohan and I'd know a lot of the younger people that are "kilcohan teenagers" and yet I dont' know any of these kids that hang around. they are maybe from the other direction of St.Herblain estate.thats where i see them walking out from and walking into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Who is your local TD? Point him to this thread and say if you sort it you have another vote.
    Thats what they are there for.

Advertisement