Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No recession here!

• 08-01-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Just read on the rte news site that 130 pairs of Wellies were bought in BTs on Grafton Street yesterday...I'm guessing wellies there are costing a hell of a lot more than they do in Penneys and Dunnes!! From the RTE website:
    1.12pm Wexford County Council has given the go-ahead to farmers to grit icy secondary roads, prompting local TD Michael D'Arcy to call on other local authorities to follow suit.

1.10pm 130 pairs of wellies were purchased at BT's Grafton St store yesterday by those bravely navigating the icy footpaths of the capital.

12.58pm Irish Rural Link - the national network campaigning for rural communities - has called for a national helpline number to coordinate all urgent requests from members of the public who need assistance.

I'm sorry but that's nuts!! I Do people have the money to splash out on Hunter wellies in this climate? I'll stcik with socks over my shoes:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Just out of curiousity, how much do Hunter wellies cost in Ireland? Here they are over $100, which is quite a lot for rubber!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

maybe there were none in penneys and dunnes and the likes and that was the only place they could get some?

theyd be better quality, and if people want to spend there money one expensive wellies then sure so what, its their money. i have no idea how much wellies cost, and there probably is cheaper places but they might be sold out.

personally i dont think i could spend a huge amount wellies but if you have to trek through snow and ice daily for 10days+ & want to keep your feet dry then it might be worth the expense.

Ah of course, each to their own!
    Just bringing up the topic:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Can't explain how people would gladly hand over €75 for a pair of wellies, particularly when they're not even culchies! Then again, my stinginess with money is well known here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I think if people want to spend that much on wellies then that's their business. ;)

And by the way, since the recession has been dragged into it (yawn)- people spending money is good for our economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

One question : Did it actually state of the RTE website that the boots were Hunter boots?
    If not, *perhaps* BTs were selling cheaper ones or a variety of brands?

If they were Hunter wellingtons, maybe people were paying a high price for them based on reputation?
    I know a lot of people are quite scared of the road conditions so maybe they thought, if they forked out a bit extra money for a "good" pair, they'd be better protected.

That, or cheaper stockists like Dunnes, Penney's etc ran out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Could work out as fairly economical in the end, if this weather is to last. Would have bought wellies at any price trying to walk to work this morning in my slippy leather boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

If I was buying a pair of wellies to wear for only a few days, such as in the snow or to a festival, I'd buy a pair of cheap boots in Pennys/Dunnes. In my opinion there's no point in spending a fortune on boots you're only going to wear for a few days and that you'll probably end up throwing out. However, if you're going to be wearing them a lot, esp for a few hours each day, then I'd splash out the extra cash and buy a pair of Hunter wellies as they're really comfy to walk in, fit snugly, and provide support to the foot, ankle and back. They're also the only pair of wellies I can wear that don't slip off my ankles/heels when I have to walk through mud.

Plus, wellies won't necessarily help you to walk on the ice any better than shoes, but they will keep your feet nice and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I bought a pair of Hunters in Galway a week and a half ago. It was super slushy and my feet were beginning to get wet so I said screw this and in I went to Schuh and bought me a pair. 80 squids; but I've worn them loads since and honestly I've gotten the value out of them, even at this stage. They are the absolute business in this weather. Cheap wellingtons don't last; they perish and go manky and are a false economy IMO. And Hunters are cool enough to wear in the pub and not feel like a mong; and for some reason they look great with jeans. And I'll use them for other stuff too.

I suspect the people who rushed into BT were having a similar problem to myself:). Yeah I could have gotten them cheaper online but I needed them straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I was in BT's today, they have a huge display of hunter-style 'Brown Thomas' own brand wellies in loads of different colours on the ground floor accessory section, think they are around the 50euro price point.
    When I was queuing at the till, there was a group of Italian ladies ahead of me who bought 4/5 pairs between them,they mustn't have anticipated the weather :-) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I was in BT's today, they have a huge display of hunter-style 'Brown Thomas' own brand wellies in loads of different colours on the ground floor accessory section, think they are around the 50euro price point.
    When I was queuing at the till, there was a group of Italian ladies ahead of me who bought 4/5 pairs between them,they mustn't have anticipated the weather :-) !
    Yes I saw them. They were priced €60. Still a lot for a pair of wellies IMO. I know of expensive warm ones with lining etc that cost €40 in the local hardware! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

If I had the money I'd definitely splash out on a pair of Hunter wellies for this weather and even for festivals. The cheap ones from Penney's and Dunnes are hell on my feet and they let the water in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good quality winter wear = investment imo.

I spent 280 euro on a jacket today but I'll have it for a number of years I expect and it will keep me warm in this weather so you'd expect it to do so in any conditions.

10 euro for a pair of wellies in pennys will probably get you 2 weeks of use, 50 euro or whatever on a good pair will probably get you several years of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭lorem ipsum

I was kinda shocked by this thread as I bought a pair of Wellies in Brown Thomas on Thursday this week for 15 euro! I thought they were great value, so not a question of being snobby for me, it just struck me as a great bargain!

They are their own brand weliies (wired I know!) and they were down to €15 from €50 and they are pretty good wellies, it would be hard enough to get a good pair for that price anywhere. They were up on the top floor near the stupid scented candle section (I was buying my mum a birthday present!).

Great deal then! 15euro noice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

Can't explain how people would gladly hand over €75 for a pair of wellies,

Some people think the same about you spending 10 quid on a pair of Penneys jeans when that is what they earn in a month.€70 of wellies might be very little money to a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

We are dealing with weather conditions we are not at all used to. I reckon in countries who experience this on a yearly condition good wellies/snow boots are a staple and not a luxury. You get what you pay for I believe!!! I have cheapy wellies for festivals and they are so uncomfortable and wouldnt reckon I would get to work (20 min walk) safely in them. In saying all that would kill me to have to spend it on a pair of wellies though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I paid €280 for my Ugg boots last winter. I have worn them almost every day since. I wear them around the house, I wear them out, and I have waterproofed them so I wear them in all conditions. They have kept great and I have definitely got my money out of them.

I don't see why some people are so against paying more than say 20 euro for an item. Buying cheap clothes and shoes is usually a false economy. If I buy boots in Penneys, within 2 days I will also have to buy insoles for them and plasters for the blisters they give me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i looked in dunnes for wellies after reading this thread and they had none. they had some in the kids section but all they had in the adults was LOADS of fake uggs that would let the water in within 20seconds of stepping into snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Quite often it's a false economy to buy cheaper stuff that will fall apart after a couple of wears. I've been wearing some ancient cheapo wellies myself (that i'm breaking my neck in cos they have no grip) but I wouldn't be against investing in a good quality new pair that I could rely on to be dug out when needed.

I think it's a good idea to invest in good quality basics that you can rely on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Investing in a quality pair of wellingtons makes far more sense than spending your cash on louboutins tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I was in there today and saw them. Only e15 and in a range of pretty colours. Look like Hunter ones. Seemed like good value, I spent more on a cheapy pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BT are selling BT-brand wellingtons in their sale - reduced from E50+ to E15+ (different prices for different sizes). I'd say that they're the wellingtons being referenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

A pair of farmer wellies will costs you about 5o euro and theyre not that nice at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

100 people buy wellies in a high street store and you claim no recession. there's about 10 dunnes/penneys/cheaper stores within 10 minute walk how many did they sell? no one knows they could have sold 1000's. 100 pairs then doesn't seem that much does it?

anyways i think it's hilarious that most people will complain about someone buying 100 euro pair of wellies yet wouldn't bat an eye lid at someone buying a bag for ten fold the price of the wellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

I was kinda shocked by this thread as I bought a pair of Wellies in Brown Thomas on Thursday this week for 15 euro! I thought they were great value, so not a question of being snobby for me, it just struck me as a great bargain!

They are their own brand weliies (wired I know!) and they were down to €15 from €50 and they are pretty good wellies, it would be hard enough to get a good pair for that price anywhere. They were up on the top floor near the stupid scented candle section (I was buying my mum a birthday present!).

Hmmm wonder if theyre still there. Too good a bargain to pass up on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They are €30 now. Must be the spring-summer welly range.;)

Advertisement