Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a normal price for professional cleaning of dogs teeth?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

My dog needs a scale and clean. The most recent vet I brought her to (which is much cheaper than my normal upmarket one) for a vaccination pointed this out and said they charged €80 for the process. I didn't really like the vet to be honest, he was sort of pushy with trying to get me to sign her up to all these health checks at reduced prices and kept going back to it when I asked other questions.

I rang my original vet there and they quoted €130 for the same job, but explained they would do a free dental check first if I wanted, show me how to brush the teeth in the future etc. They are definately more professional but money is tight but my dog's health is important to me also! She will have to be knocked out for the procedure :(

My question to dog owners is how much is the going rate in your experience?
    Thanks in advance:P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Trying to recall - I thought 80, my mother thinks 65...
    but they have to knock them out to clean their teeth professionally which is where the price gets hiked up - for anaesthetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

As it just happens I am getting my 2 Cockers teeth cleaned on Monday.

I was quoted 85 euro per dog (I'm based in Mullingar). Cost wise does it depend on size of dog?

I am allmost sure in previous years it cost me 100 euro. So I think they have come down in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i think op's cost more the bigger the dog as paultf said, as i was asked the weight of my GS for her neutering - is this down to the cost of the anaesthetic you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup - they base how much anaesthetic is required by the weight of the dog (same with humans). The anaesthetic is part of why it's so expensive. And you'll have to sign a consent form too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Thanks for your responses so far. Well if I am remember she weighed in at 23 kg she is just a middle sized dog like, so not sure why there is a difference of 50 euro. I guess both surgeries get in an outside person to do it anyway so might as well go with the cheaper option! I hate thought of putting her under but has to be done!:(

edit: argh 23kg is only 3 stone, not much more than that anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

It depends on the weight of your dog, the larger your dog the more anaesthetic they will require.
    Also depends on the type of dental machines the practice use, some newer machines cost a lot more than bog-standard ones but provide a much better clean. The practice obviously has to pass on some of the cost of the machine on to the client when charging for the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

tommy21 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses so far. Well if I am remember she weighed in at 23 kg she is just a middle sized dog like, so not sure why there is a difference of 50 euro. I guess both surgeries get in an outside person to do it anyway so might as well go with the cheaper option! I hate thought of putting her under but has to be done!:(

edit: argh 23kg is only 3 stone, not much more than that anyway)

My Japanese Spitz cost €100 or there abouts about 2 years ago to have his teeth cleaned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

In our clinic (North Dublin) we would charge €75 for that size dog OP.

As with everything else cost wise it really does vary from Vet to Vet so shop around if you're not happy with the original cheaper Vet or the €130 Vet. Being comfortable with your Vet is very important so I wouldn't just go on who is the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shellih

I pay €70 for my dogs which are around 7kgs. Like anything though that will vary from practice to practice.

Advertisement