Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water containers

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know where I can get some of these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The Army Surplus Store, Lower Cecil St, B&Q, I think they have them in Argos, not sure about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The biggest they have in Argo are 25 litre ones for 25 quid.

Probably get cheaper and bigger in an army store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

That's mad as I just logged into ask the very same question.
    Billy, I take it you don't have any water either??

People should keep an eye out as well for when water is available at the water hydrants.

Very handy for stocking up on water for toilets etc.

I know I made use of it earlier and stocked up. It will be running from today onwards so the same link should bring up the times/locations for each day.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/schedule-of-hydrant-operation-locations-and-times/8b2057cf-ebb8-432b-9fcd-aa5084aade3b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

May I suggest to those that have water at the moment , fill the bath. If you loose your water later, you can use this water later to flush the toilet!!! Make sure your plug fit nice and tight otherwise you may have an empty bath after a few hours.

There are 90 litre toy boxes in homestore and more for €10 - might be of use.

• Advertisement

May I suggest to those that have water at the moment , fill the bath. If you loose your water later, you can use this water later to flush the toilet!!! Make sure your plug fit nice and tight otherwise you may have an empty bath after a few hours.

You would be surprised at how fast a bath full of water goes, even when just used for flushing toilets.

I am topping up mine on a daily basis and need to top up the water tanks in the attic as well on a fairly regular basis.

Luckily I have a patient neigbour nearby who has water and was letting me get buckets of water each day.

With my parents house without water as well, I am driving in there each day to top them up also, as well as trips for bottled water for consumption.

I haven't checked my tank at all...
    Should I have this topped with water??

Generally the tank feeds the hot taps, showers, toilets, and sometimes it feeds the hot press tanks in houses that have that.

The mains water pipes than refill that attic tank when you flush a toilet or use a hot tap etc.

So if you flush the toilet or use a hot tap etc and are not topping the water, then your attic tank is being drained and cannot refill as the main water pipes are frozen.

You would end up then with an empty attic tank and a frozen water mains, which would mean everything else would be empty and not able to work.

Thanks Kess, but I don't have water anywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Good practical advice - Probably should be mentioned though that if you have small Children or Toddlers in the House that a full bath of water will be a compulsive draw and entertainment Mecca for them and could very easily lead to a tragic drowning etc.

• Advertisement

Might be an idea for people whose house is at the end of a row to leave their cold kitchen tap running a little tonight and leave it on overnight to try and prevent pipes freezing.

Better to waste some water than have the water staying still in the pipes and freezing. Tomorrow is day six without running water for me, and I think the others on here who are in the same boat as me would join me in not wishing it to happen to anyone else.

To those who have their main water pipes frozen; check your attic tanks now and then, it seems a few houses in Castletroy had the tanks in the attic freeze and the pipes up there burst, leading to lots of damage to the attic floor/cealing of room below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What locations in the city is water available?

What locations in the city is water available?

Check the link to see what location is best for you. The announcement on the radio said they would be doing it everyday from the start date.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/schedule-of-hydrant-operation-locations-and-times/8b2057cf-ebb8-432b-9fcd-aa5084aade3b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I use 2Ltr milk cartons. have about 20 of them and keep them topped up when the supply comes on. No mains ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

as a quick FYI - Halfords, Argos, Radar Sports and B&Q now seem to be out of large water containers ( I was specifically looking for 25 ltr Jerry cans) I didn't think of the army store however Just after getting 2 in Kellys transport in Pallasgreen for 18 each including taps. He has the regular ones for 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

This is my first time ever without water but my neighbours are not affected - it's a rural road, detached houses.

Major dopey question alert - but is there any point in trying to find where the frozen pipe is or is it probably an entire pipe? Is it more than likely external or could I have frozen internal pipes as well? It's an 11 year old timber frame house so it's very well insulated. I'm demented here!!

Osk wrote: »
    This is my first time ever without water but my neighbours are not affected - it's a rural road, detached houses.

Major dopey question alert - but is there any point in trying to find where the frozen pipe is or is it probably an entire pipe? Is it more than likely external or could I have frozen internal pipes as well? It's an 11 year old timber frame house so it's very well insulated. I'm demented here!!

The most likely place for it to be frozen is outside. It could simply be a case that your neighbours pipes are deeper underground than yours, and as such they did not freeze.

You actually get used to having less water btw, and while it is not nice, it is bearable if you plan ahead and stock up on bottled water to drink/cook/brush teeth etc, and get water from neighbours to fill your bath and attic tanks for water for toilet etc.

I am on day seven without water now and am in Dooradoyle. My parents are on day five without water and are on the main road in Ballinacurra. From what I know there are people in apartments on William street without water since the 26th of December.

Advertisement