Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain how this is possible?

• 08-01-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Just had one of my usually arguments with UPC support.

When I do a ping -t www.o2.ie and leave it for a while, the results show about 20-30% packet loss. It's been like this for 3 days now.

Ping statistics for 62.40.39.196:
    Packets: Sent = 85, Received = 66, Lost = 19 (22% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 77ms, Average = 20ms

However, when the UPC support person did some tests from her end, she said there was no packet loss on the connection to the modem.

Now, my PC is directly hardwired to the modem, and I've tried 2 cables which I know work fine (I use them in work). Also, my PC is not running any software that can interfere with ping results (Torrents, P2P etc).

So, as far as I can see, my results are accurate and UPC are doing something wrong with their 'tests'.

Or am I missing some other possible cause?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Or am I missing some other possible cause?

They're just doing ICMP throttling/rate limiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Spear wrote: »
    They're just doing ICMP throttling/rate limiting.

Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh!

I should have spotted that. I forget to check with pings to other sites.

Yup, it seems o2 have placed restrictions on ICMP traffic.

(This is what happens when you don't do tech support for years....you forget basic stuff)

Thanks

Advertisement