Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binary and wildcard searching?

• 08-01-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests does the version of vbulletin that boards.ie is running on support Binary and wildcard searching? Is so how do you do it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Boolean (binary is an algorithmic implementation of search, not a user selectable "method" for general userland applications) search is the default search method for boards.ie, I don't think wildcard searches are supported.

What are you trying to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just trying to make my searches more efficient. For example searching for 'bank of ireland' it brings back every thread that has bank and ireland regardless of where they appear in the thread. I want to search for only where those 3 words are together ie 'bank+of+ireland' (Don't think that would be the right syntax but you get what I mean)

The wildcard searching is handy for looking for 3 letter words e.g. if I was looking for info on the mobile company htc I could just put in htc*. I know its a massive load on the database to search for 2 and 3 character words but I don't know how bad it would be with wildcard searches? As far as I am aware vBulletin does support wildcard searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

If you can find where it's documented, I'll have a poke around, but I've never used wildcard searches on vBulletin myself and some quick Googling hasn't shown up any useful results!

Three letter + wildcard searches are effectively the same as pure three letter searches as far as server intensiveness goes (to the best of my knowledge) in any case.

If you search for "bank of ireland" (using double quotes, like on Google, etc) you should get back results for that string only, and not just posts with combinations of "bank" and "ireland".

Of course, there is also the option of just using Google itself to search boards.ie until we get around to implementing a useful search system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thats great didn't know about using quotations for string searches. With regards the wildcard searches I found this. I wouldn't be too bothered with wild card searches though because as you said it would probably put the servers under pressure and results would take ages to come back anyway. Google search will suffice for now. Thanks!

Advertisement