Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***IMPORTANT*** Monday 11th exams re-scheduled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

New dates for exams postponed from Monday 11 January

DIT is in the process of rescheduling exams which were timetabled for Monday 11 January but were postponed due to extreme weather conditions. Please see below for information relating to your faculty
    Business / Media / Law:
    http://www.dit.ie/news/archive2010/openinghours/schedule/

Please click here for the new schedule of dates for examinations in these subjects.
    Tourism and Food:

Confirmation of dates will be available here tomorrow.
    Science:

All exams that were due to be held on Monday 11th January have been re-scheduled to Monday 25th January, at the same times and venues as previously published.
    Engineering:

Students will be notified by email later this week with rescheduled dates for exams postponed from Monday 11th January. If you do not receive information by email please contact the Exams Office in Bolton Street.
    Built Environment:

Students will be notified by email later this week with rescheduled dates for exams postponed from Monday 11th January. If you do not receive information by email please contact the Exams Office in Bolton Street.
    Examinations

All DIT examinations timetabled for the rest of this week will proceed as scheduled from Tuesday 12 January in all centres. Students are advised to give themselves plenty of time to reach the exam centre.

Classes

Due to improved weather conditions, all classes in the Conservatory of Music and Drama will resume on Tuesday 12th January.
    Opening of buildings and libraries:

All buildings are open as normal today, Tuesday 12 January.

This information will be updated regularly here on www.dit.ie and on the student and staff portal, www.mydit.ie, so please check if there is any deterioration in weather conditions or transport.
    Dublin Transport

Updates on public transport in Dublin are available on all service providers’ websites. The following links may be useful in checking your route:

* Dublin Bus information : www.dublinbus.ie
    * Luas information: http://www.luas.ie/travel-updates.php
    * Irish Rail information: http://www.irishrail.ie/home/
    * Bus Eireann information: http://www.buseireann.ie/
    * AA Roadwatch: http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hope faculty of engineering reschedule their exams for monday 25th too

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

So what are we supposed to do if we're going away that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I heard from the exams office today that exams wouldnt run the same week as the ski trip, I know the presedent of the Ski club was working his hardest to ensure the change in exam dates didnt affect anyone on the trip since htey have all paid for it already and cleared it with the college that those dates would be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Un-Big

Yeah... they can't exactly say "Ok guys, it snowed so you can either fail or throw away a buttload of money" .. It's about as ridiculous as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

What date does the skitrip depart. Exam on saturday does not appeal to me in the slightest!

To be honest I have no idea. Im not going myself but I know people who are. if I hear form any of them Ill let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The thread title is completely inaccurate. It's re-scheduled for the 25th for the science department and that is it from what I can see on the DIT website. Whoever changed it should change it back immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Rb wrote: »
    The thread title is completely inaccurate. It's re-scheduled for the 25th for the science department and that is it from what I can see on the DIT website. Whoever changed it should change it back immediately.

Calm down. I can't give ALL of the information in the thread title. I'm assuming students will bother themselves to go read up on this stuff themselves rather then rely on the thread title. If more info comes, more info will come in here.

The other point is that it's not my responsibility as a mod of this forum to feed info to students, it's DIT's responsibility. They've been absolutely ****e at putting information forward to students, either by mail or on here. Funny, in September they were great coming here and posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yelonka

I am so happy, I have my exam on Thursday, 21st. I can fly away and see all the doctors I am suppose to see!

• Advertisement

ProjectMayhem: I know it's not your job to spread info, but at least you could try not to spread info yourself :)

I agree though, DIT has been an absolute joke with regards to getting info out as of late and I'm sure they'll point the finger at the Government in some way or another. My monday exam has been shifted to the 25th anyway, I'll be out of the country at that date so will be ringing the college to sort out what I need to do to ensure when I sit the exam (in August presumably) it won't be counted as a repeat, and also that I'm not charged for sitting it. I'll post here with how I get on anyway.

ProjectMayhem: I know it's not your job to spread info, but at least you could try not to spread info yourself :)

I agree though, DIT has been an absolute joke with regards to getting info out as of late and I'm sure they'll point the finger at the Government in some way or another. My monday exam has been shifted to the 25th anyway, I'll be out of the country at that date so will be ringing the college to sort out what I need to do to ensure when I sit the exam (in August presumably) it won't be counted as a repeat, and also that I'm not charged for sitting it. I'll post here with how I get on anyway.

Rb Im sure Im with all te boardsies when I say good luck, hope DIT do things right by students and make allowances like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭96blsh

Rb - I am very interested to know how you get on. As this effects some of my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yelonka

96blsh wrote: »
    Rb - I am very interested to know how you get on.

Same here, i've got lucky and won't have to do that (ringing them and sorting things out) but I wonder if DIT will be fair to its customers :)

Rb Im sure Im with all te boardsies when I say good luck, hope DIT do things right by students and make allowances like that.
    96blsh wrote: »
    Rb - I am very interested to know how you get on. As this effects some of my friends.
    Yelonka wrote: »
    Same here, i've got lucky and won't have to do that (ringing them and sorting things out) but I wonder if DIT will be fair to its customers :)

I spoke to the exams office this morning. The guy was nice but the overwhelming impression I've got is that the whole thing is a complete and utter mess at the moment, which is kind of disappointing considering it's now two days after the one day of canceled exams.

He said that they're currently doing up a new timetable for the affected exams, the bulk will be on Friday the 22nd of Jan and anything that is not on the Friday will be held on Monday the 25th of Jan.
    This timetable will be posted in the college within 24 hours and we should receive an email about it also.

When I asked about students who wouldn't be there for that week, such as the DIT ski trip, he said that they're trying to sort something out for "official" trips that would be made that week. I said I'd be on a holiday that I booked last June, and wouldn't be able to attend, and asked should we be looking at sorting out PC1/ personal circumstance forms, which he said was up to ourselves. So far, however, if people can't make it to the exam that week they will be marked down as having not attended, and will have to sit the supplementary exams in August.

I asked whether it would be sorted that it wouldn't have to be paid for, or wouldn't be regarded as a repeat as it's out of our control, to which he had no answer.

So, so far they've got nothing prepared. I'm going to shoot an email off to the SU this afternoon and see what their position on the matter is. If my exam is on the 25th and I don't get an exemption made for the fact that I would have attended Monday's exam had they been open, and that it was out of my control, I'll consider contacting the Department of Education.

It's an absolute farce if they don't accommodate the students over this.

Update per DIT website:

Wednesday 13th January
    New dates for exams postponed from Monday 11 January

DIT is in the process of rescheduling exams which were timetabled for Monday 11 January but were postponed due to extreme weather conditions. Please see below for information relating to your faculty.
    Business / Media / Law

Please click here for the new schedule of dates for examinations in these subjects.
    Tourism and Food

All Exams that were due to be held on Monday 11th January have been re-scheduled to Saturday 16th January, at the same times and venues as previously published.
    Science/Engineering - Kevin Street

All exams that were due to be held on Monday 11th January have been re-scheduled to Monday 25th January, at the same times as previously published except the following DT081/4, DT021/4, DT008/1, DT008/2, DT009/2, DT204/5, DT229/1 and DT229/2 which are now scheduled to take place on Friday 22nd January. Times will be published for 22nd January in the main foyer on the official Examinations Notice Board in Kevin Street College from Thursday 14th January.
    Engineering - Bolton Street

Built Environment

Students will be notified by email this week as soon as new dates and venues can be confirmed for each exam. If you do not receive information by email please contact the Exams Office (Anne Hayes – Phone (01) 402 3670) in DIT. Bolton Street.
    Examinations

All DIT examinations timetabled for the rest of this week will proceed as scheduled from Tuesday 12 January in all centres. Students are advised to give themselves plenty of time to reach the exam centre.
    Classes

Due to improved weather conditions, all classes in the Conservatory of Music and Drama will resume on Tuesday 12th January.
    Opening of buildings and libraries

All buildings are currently open as normal.

This information will be updated regularly here on www.dit.ie and on the student and staff portal, www.mydit.ie, so please check if there is any deterioration in weather conditions or transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

This is a fu*kin joke. How come Kevin St are getting nearly 2 weeks notice for their exams, and people in Bolton St are being told "theres a possibility" our exams will be this Saturday? Tomorrows thursday ffs, when are they actually planning on saying for sure when the exams are?

And how is it fair that people in Kevin St get 2 weeks to prepare for their exam, while people in Bolton St get 1 day, and some end up with 3 exams in a row...

Jim236 wrote: »
    This is a fu*kin joke. How come Kevin St are getting nearly 2 weeks notice for their exams, and people in Bolton St are being told "theres a possibility" our exams will be this Saturday? Tomorrows thursday ffs, when are they actually planning on saying for sure when the exams are?

And how is it fair that people in Kevin St get 2 weeks to prepare for their exam, while people in Bolton St get 1 day, and some end up with 3 exams in a row...
    Surely, since the exam was supposed to be on Monday, the students are prepared anyway?

Surely, since the exam was supposed to be on Monday, the students are prepared anyway?

I've got an exam tomorrow and one on Friday, so I won't have any time to go over anything to do with Saturday's exam till Friday. Also DIT confirmed last Friday that Monday's exam would be cancelled, so I started studying for the next exam instead thinking they wouldn't give us 3 exams in a row. So don't try to go on as if we should be prepared anyway, its not my fault it feckin snowed, and its not my fault my exam was cancelled.

I've got an exam tomorrow and one on Friday, so I won't have any time to go over anything to do with Saturday's exam till Friday. Also DIT confirmed last Friday that Monday's exam would be cancelled, so I started studying for the next exam instead thinking they wouldn't give us 3 exams in a row. So don't try to go on as if we should be prepared anyway, its not my fault it feckin snowed, and its not my fault my exam was cancelled.
    Yeah but you were expecting the exam to be on Monday, and it was post-poned on the Friday, so surely you've done some preparation for the exam? It's a bit of a cop-out to be blaming the college for your lack of preparation, when had things went as planned you'd have already sat the exam.

I understand where you're coming from but realistically the only thing you should be annoyed about is the possibility of having three exams in a row, you shouldn't be complaining about Joe in another department having extra time to prepare, when the exams people will be preparing for should have already taken place by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Thats not quite true, the last couple of days before an exam is when you do your final preparations for an exam, it allows you to focus in on section that you are good at & essentially cram in info for it. With the cancellation alot of people, like myself refocused on other exam that were definitely going ahead. my exam wont be for a couple of week which is annoying as i would have preferred to get it over and done with but i would hate to be given so little time to do final preparations for it.

Sorry madrab, but Jim's posts stink of "I've done nothing and now I'm fcked, so let's pass the blame onto someone else" as opposed to "Well, I've x prepared but really could do with a bit more time to get the last bit in".

Besides, there's plenty of time between now and Saturday, and sure you gained an extra day of preparation from Monday.

DIT's shoddy organisation is the issue here. It shouldn't matter if the exam was thrown on tomorrow or a month from now tbh, but how DIT have been handling it has been very, very lackluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've just seen this and all I can say is what the F*** is going through the heads of the people in charge of exams for Bolton street. I'm absolutely incensed.

I have work on Saturday. There is absolutely no chance i hell I can get the day off and if I don't show up for it I run the risk of being sacked. I need every brownie point I can get in this job as I'm looking to be made permanent so I HAVE to be there. I can't afford to have no job, metaphorically or literally.

DIT will be receiving an email and posted letter within the next two days from me with a complaint of the highest order and I have every intent to contact Brian Norton personally. There is no way on earth an exam should be scheduled on a Saturday and CERTAINLY not at 2 days' notice.

This is an absolute and unnaceptable shambles. For bloody shame on DIT.

@Rb, to be fair. He's perfectly in the right to be notthing short of outraged at being given such short notice of a rescheduling when in reality he would have had no issues in getting to an exam yesterday.

Sorry madrab, but Jim's posts stink of "I've done nothing and now I'm fcked, so let's pass the blame onto someone else" as opposed to "Well, I've x prepared but really could do with a bit more time to get the last bit in".

Besides, there's plenty of time between now and Saturday, and sure you gained an extra day of preparation from Monday.

Rb fu*k off, I've already explained my circumstances. I'm not coppin out of anthin, I studied up until last Friday when DIT confirmed Monday's exam was being cancelled, so I stopped studying for that exam and went on to studying for the next one instead, like anyone would do. Its grand for you to sit there behind your little computer screen and sh*te on that "you should already be prepared", but if you've spent the past week studying for a subject, yer not gonna remember anything you went over the week before for an exam you were supposed to have on Monday.

I've been studying all week for the 2 exams I knew were coming up, and now today I'm told I've another exam on Saturday to go with them, giving me just a day to prepare for it, because DIT led me to believe the exam postponed on Monday wouldn't be held this week.

So think what yeh like but this is DIT's f*ck up, not mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Rb fu*k off, I've already explained my circumstances. I'm not coppin out of anthin, I studied up until last Friday when DIT confirmed Monday's exam was being cancelled, so I stopped studying for that exam and went on to studying for the next one instead, like anyone would do. Its grand for you to sit there behind your little computer screen and sh*te on that "you should already be prepared", but if you've spent the past week studying for a subject, yer not gonna remember anything you went over the week before for an exam you were supposed to have on Monday.

I've been studying all week for the 2 exams I knew were coming up, and now today I'm told I've another exam on Saturday to go with them, giving me just a day to prepare for it, because DIT led me to believe the exam postponed on Monday wouldn't be held this week.
    You really don't have a leg to stand on. All this shows is a lack of preparation.

Sheeps wrote: »
    You really don't have a leg to stand on. All this shows is a lack of preparation.

Lack of preparation? I'm not the one that cancelled an exam, and took until today to confirm a new date...Put yourself in my shoes, you'd be pissed off as well...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Sheeps wrote: »

Thats complete bollocks. Obviously you will study for the exam which is closest. Thats natural. Its not his fault, you should at least be given a few days to prepare. Some of the attitudes here are very superior and imo idiotic.

I think this fiasco confirms what we already know DIT is a complete shambles. Fair enough exams being called off, but at least keep the students informed about redates. Theyre always going to piss of someone, but make the decision early ffs. This and the fire alarm going off in Aung St twice yesterday stinks of DIT's inherent stupidity. Do It Tomorrow indeed. How they ever think theyll get uni status is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

wixfjord wrote: »
    Thats complete bollocks. Obviously you will study for the exam which is closest. Thats natural. Its not his fault, you should at least be given a few days to prepare. Some of the attitudes here are very superior and imo idiotic.
    If he's not prepared for a later date, he was not prepared for the earlier date and it makes no difference.

wixfjord wrote: »

Wait, am I wrong in thinking that all students have been off since the 18th of December at the latest? That'd be more than a few days off, surely?

I'm not trying to ride the high horse here, I'm just calling a spade a spade. If I had an exam on Saturday I'd be in exactly the same position, and I know why too, I just wouldn't make excuses and point the finger elsewhere.
    I think this fiasco confirms what we already know DIT is a complete shambles. Fair enough exams being called off, but at least keep the students informed about redates. Theyre always going to piss of someone, but make the decision early ffs. This and the fire alarm going off in Aung St twice yesterday stinks of DIT's inherent stupidity. Do It Tomorrow indeed. How they ever think theyll get uni status is beyond me.

Absolutely. They haven't even sent out emails regarding the re-scheduling yet, it's only on the website.

• Advertisement

Well as long as you get your ski trip Rb, thats the main thing...:rolleyes:

Advertisement