Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E200 handbrake

• 08-01-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

How do? Im after getting a Merc E200 but its an automatic. Its only for a while. I've no experience with automatic cars at all. There's a lever beside the drivers door that looks like a parking brake of some sort but when I pull it, nothing happens. is it a parking brake? Is there a specific position the gear lever should be in when its being pulled? I've to give this car back in a few weeks so I'd prefer to give it back in the same condition I got it in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

It's your "handbrake" release, but the handbrake is operated by a foot pedal on your right (or left, I forget), push it down with your foot, then you release it with said lever. Really great and easy to get used to but confusing as hell to every person who has ever sat into one.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thats the one :)

Its a nice way to do it. it makes use of the free space when its an auto at the pedals and clears up everything else.

While I think of it, in the manual version of the car would the hand brake system be the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bbk wrote: »
    While I think of it, in the manual version of the car would the hand brake system be the same?
    Yes, and it's a lot more awkward with the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's your "handbrake" release, but the handbrake is operated by a foot pedal on your right (or left, I forget), push it down with your foot, then you release it with said lever. Really great and easy to get used to but confusing as hell to every person who has ever sat into one.;)

Pedal for the "handbrake" is on the left hand side of the footwell. Slightly to the left of where the clutch should be.

I had the opposite problem first time I drove a Merc. Didn't see the release handle and thought the pushing the pedal again would release the brake. Probably looked like a right ass when I gave up and set off with the brake on.

Anan1 wrote: »

+ 1, disaster with a manual really, I had a 1992 250 diesel for a few months this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if it's a recent E Class it'll have a park brake (for want of a better word) for use in city driving etc. that can be applied by pressing the brake pedal all the way down, you can release it by pressing the accellerator, it's also a hill-hold system

The pedal is only really used for when you're leaving the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

RoverJames wrote: »
    + 1, disaster with a manual really, I had a 1992 250 diesel for a few months this year.

Agreed... my bro had 1997 C-class manual.. try doing a three point turn on a hill.... takes some co-ordination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anan1 wrote: »
    RoverJames wrote: »
    si_guru wrote: »
    Agreed... my bro had 1997 C-class manual.. try doing a three point turn on a hill.... takes some co-ordination!
    Just wondering how one would manage in a driving test when stopping at a junction on a hill as one must always apply the parking brake before selecting neutral! :eek:

(I had a automatic E300 with the foot operated parking brake for 5 years - the problem with the manual never occurred to me before I read this thread.)

Just wondering how one would manage in a driving test when stopping at a junction on a hill as one must always apply the parking brake before selecting neutral! :eek:

Don't know to be honest, you won't be getting the handbrake on in an old Merc manual without going into neutral first on a hill unless you hold her on the bite of the clutch which is not doubt not an option in the test. The Merc handbrake on the thing I had was quite poor anyway, no way would I trust it to hold the car on a hill. Even Merc enthusiasts on the Merc forums reckon they are muck.

Advertisement