Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going to oz for work..

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hows it going?

Im a bricklayer currently out of work and I am thinking of going to oz in the hope of getting some work. I cant sit around here much longer and watch life pass me by.

The problem is I dont know an awful lot about the place, how do I get a visa, where do I go? What are the chances of me getting a job over there? What are the people like? Things like this.. Its quite a big thing for me if I was to go ahead and do it, so I would like to have as much information about the place as I could.

Can anybody point me in some sort of direction to get the ball rolling?

Thanks, :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hi mate,

If you're thinking of going for the short-term (1 or maybe 2 years), then you could get a working holiday visa from here. You can only work with the same employer for 6 months though.

I'm not sure what the job prospects are for brickies in particular over there, but the word is that the job scene in general is still pretty good. Unemployment is about 6%, Ireland's is about 13%.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have more info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks Dave, really appreciate the info.

Im after spending all afternoon thrawling throught the web looking for information but there is so much just to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Danye wrote: »
    Thanks Dave, really appreciate the info.

Im after spending all afternoon thrawling throught the web looking for information but there is so much just to get through.

Hey Danye,
    I spent a year over there working on sites and didnt struggle too much with work.It depends a lot on where youd like to base yourself.

Sydney has work but isnt mad busy in Construction.
    Similarly Melbourne is ok but not lots of work.

Your best bet is Brisbane and the Gold coast(East) Still seems to be a lot of work up there,Apartments,holiday resorts etc being constructed.

Perth as well on the west Coast is pretty busy..but a lot of the work over there is mining/heavy Civils i found.Im back nerly 2 years but have mates still there so am basing this nfo on what they'v told me.

Ifi were you id get on the first plane train or automobile that was pointed in that direction and get the f**k outa this place:D

Seriously though Oz is a legend place to live and its a good relaxed work lifestye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Hey Danye,
    I spent a year over there working on sites and didnt struggle too much with work.It depends a lot on where youd like to base yourself.

Sydney has work but isnt mad busy in Construction.
    Similarly Melbourne is ok but not lots of work.

Your best bet is Brisbane and the Gold coast(East) Still seems to be a lot of work up there,Apartments,holiday resorts etc being constructed.

Perth as well on the west Coast is pretty busy..but a lot of the work over there is mining/heavy Civils i found.Im back nerly 2 years but have mates still there so am basing this nfo on what they'v told me.

Ifi were you id get on the first plane train or automobile that was pointed in that direction and get the f**k outa this place:D

Seriously though Oz is a legend place to live and its a good relaxed work lifestye too.

Cheers mate, thanks for your input. Just as a matter of interest how did you organise the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Danye wrote: »
    Cheers mate, thanks for your input. Just as a matter of interest how did you organise the whole thing?

If you are just coming over to work then just pick a city a book a flight to there. It helps if you know people who are already in that city as alot of people get jobs through word of mouth. Have a look on www.seek.com.au for jobs. This will give you a good idea of where there is work for bricklayers. I'm in Perth at the minute and things seem to be getting busier here but don't know how much work there is for bricklayers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Problem with Being a bricklayer in QLD is that most residential houses are still timberframed jobbies on Stilts and the bigger Industrial sites are difficult to get a start on.

Victoria or NSW are where you want to be lookin for Brickie work

Advertisement