Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best shop in Dublin for camera bags? Bag recommendations?

• 08-01-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi folks, i'm heading of up the Alps in a bit and need a camera rucksack to take the following gear up the mountains with me:
    5dMkII
    24-70mm
    70-200mm
    16-35mm
    Tripod

Along with other small bits and pieces.

I would really like the bag that could also take a 15" computer on the trip over, at least then i wouldn't have to double up.

Currently have the Kata DR467 which I now find a little too small for my gear since I updated the lenses.

Have been considering the following:
    Lowepro CompuRover, very similar to the Kata but it MAY have a bit more room?
    Lowepro Computrekker, just worried about the bulk of this on my back skiing :-)

Lowepro Protrekker 300, expensive but might do the trick if it's not too big.

If anyone knows a place that stocked these or has experience in using any please let me know.

Cheers
    Grif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Gr1f wrote: »
    Hi folks, i'm heading of up the Alps in a bit and need a camera rucksack to take the following gear up the mountains with me:
    5dMkII
    24-70mm
    70-200mm
    16-35mm
    Tripod

Along with other small bits and pieces.

I would really like the bag that could also take a 15" computer on the trip over, at least then i wouldn't have to double up.

Currently have the Kata DR467 which I now find a little too small for my gear since I updated the lenses.

Have been considering the following:
    Lowepro CompuRover, very similar to the Kata but it MAY have a bit more room?
    Lowepro Computrekker, just worried about the bulk of this on my back skiing :-)

Lowepro Protrekker 300, expensive but might do the trick if it's not too big.

If anyone knows a place that stocked these or has experience in using any please let me know.

Cheers
    Grif

Gunns on Wexford Street have a supply of bags but if they don't have it they'll order it in for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

With your requirements, I would choose the Tamrac 85 backpack,

I picked one up myself a few months ago and its very good. I think it cost something like 80 quid so its quite a bit cheaper than the lowepro equivalent bags too.,

Im able to carry a d80 with battery grip attached and its 18-70 lens, 50mm lens, 70-300 lens, sb-600, spare batterys and charger, compact camera (lumix lx2) and space for various other bits and pieces. All of that is stored in the lower compartment without using the upper and in the back you can fit a 17in laptop.

I got mine from pixels in liffey street but you would probably be able to get it cheaper online.,:)

3385-opnCmp-2K_lrg.jpg

3385-MdlSdPk_1sm_Crp_lrg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

This might be suitable. I have the next one down and find it very good

1028013_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

thanks guys :-)
    Never thought about the Tamrac bags actually. think Birminghams do them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Keep an eye out here on adverts.ie.
    I picked up two nice bags recently - one of which is the Tamrac above and it's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've a lowepro fastpack 250, the newer, bigger version is the 350 which is available on amazon for a mere $100, afaik Gunns stock them or as said above, can get them in if you want it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Fastpack-350-Black/dp/B000YIWR8G

Fantastic bag, cannot rate it highly enough, secure and carries a surprising amount of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

lowepro flipside has a tripod holder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Thanks a lot guys, OK, just got the compurover AW from Gunns. It's a bit bigger than the Kata and can hold all the gear i need. Plus, what bedlam said, it has excellent strapping, a good tripod mount and a rain/snow cover. Think it'll do the trick. If not, sure it'll be on adverts when i get back :-)

The Computrekker felt like it was like a lump stuck on my back. The Rover felt right.

Thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

http://www.miniphoto.com/ based in Lucan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have "swing" bag for one camera and one decent lense from Lowerpro and will go for a bag that opens completely. I know that I would not be able to remove the camera on the go, but I want to insure that camera will fit in with both lenses (24-70 and 70-200) whichever is attached to the body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Gr1f

I'm selling my brand new Lowepro 250 on adverts - http://adverts.ie/175568
    It would meet the requirements you set out in op.

Advertisement