Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess The Infrastructure An Taisce is Ranting About Time!

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

An Taisce in Galway are objecting ( as ever) to a development which is infrastructural rather than otherwise.

So what is the infrastructure and where is it to be located ???

Derrick Hambleton, said that more information on the potential negative effects on wildlife must be sought before the application could proceed. He said that the effect of the service on salmon migration patterns on the Corrib must be looked at, while he also warned that <infrastructure> could have a negative impact on the Claddagh swans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

The new water plane for lough derg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The proposed Galway city bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

As i suspected-
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/10575-seaplane-project-may-be-shot-down

Seaplane project may be shot down

January 8, 2010 - 9:55am
    An Taisce objections 'stretches credulity'
    A PROPOSED seaplane service from the Outer Docks area to a number of locations across Ireland could have negative environmental implications for the city, An Taisce has warned in a submission to the City Council.

Harbourair Ireland is seeking planning approval for the seaplane link between the Docks and the largest of the Aran Islands, Inishmore while a service between Galway and Foynes in Limerick is also planned.

However, the Galway branch of An Taisce has written to the Planning Department of the City Council outlining its concerns over the proposed seaplane initiative.

In the letter, Galway Branch Chairman, Derrick Hambleton, said that more information on the potential negative effects on wildlife must be sought before the application could proceed.

He said that the effect of the service on salmon migration patterns on the Corrib must be looked at, while he also warned that seaplanes could have a negative impact on the Claddagh swans.

“While we must admire the confidence of the proposers of this business venture, it must be noted that we do not believe that such a service can survive in the current difficult financial climate.

“Finally, An Taisce cannot remain indifferent to the dire predictions concerning global climate change, and the negative effect any growth in air travel has on our carbon footprint,” Mr Hambleton’s letter states.

However, Emelyn Heaps, CEO of Harbourair Ireland, told the Galway City Tribune that it was absolute nonsense to suggest that the flights of a small single engine aircraft could have an impact on salmon migration or on the swan population of Galway.

“These small single engine planes are in fact used extensively in North America to facilitate environmentally sensitive studies.

“An ordinary car driver on our roads has more of a chance of killing a bird than these planes – in the skies birds just keep out of the way of planes.

“And really isn’t it a bit much for a body like An Taisce telling a company like ours, whether or not, our venture can be a commercial success. I often wonder what planet these people are on.

“And to suggest that our little nine-seater Cessna could affect the migratory pattern of salmon on the Corrib really stretches credibility,” said Mr Heaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I'm struggling to understand what is the niche these guys think they are filling :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 20tenner

Common sense needs to prevail and An Taisce and all those other unemployable f****** headbangers that have cost this country so much precious money need to be put back in their box.

• Advertisement

20tenner I have removed your previous post. Another abusive post like that will result in an infraction. Please read the forum charter before posting again, thanks:

Infrastructure Forum Charter

I'm locking this thread as it's more trouble than it's worth. Judgement Day I have removed your post also, please read the forum charter before posting again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement