Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning carpets - up to tenant or landlord?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

We started renting a house when our baby was born last year. The carpets and wooden floors have never been cleaned and as our baby will be crawling soon I'd like them done fairly soon....my question is- since the floors were dirty when we moved in is it up to the landord to pay for them to be cleaned or up to us? Also if we have to pay does anyone know roughly how much it costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Surely you can clean the carpets/floor yourself easily? What condition are they in exactly?

To be honest, as you didn't request them cleaned before you moved in then I'm not sure the landlord will entertain the question, but no harm in asking.

To do it yourself, simply rent a steam cleaner from a local hire store and as for the wooden floor, depending on the type a cut clean should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you had said something before moving in, then I'd say the landlord should have them cleaned.

However, since you're there over a year, it is now up to you to clean them. This would be considered normal wear and dirt.

No idea how much it would cost, since it would depend on the size of flooring to be cleaned and the type of cleaning needed.

Advertisement